Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Zombieland

Horror-comedy hybrid is gory, crude ... and not for kids.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byAloysius Gonzaga March 17, 2019

Very funny

Yes, there's a lot of zombie killing, although it's always tongue-in-cheek. The characters are kind to each other, decent and sane despite the total insanity exploding all around them. That's what sticks with me, not so much the violence. There's aso a scene that ranks among the great comic moments in cinema.
Adult Written bycjlewis97 January 1, 2019
Adult Written byLeighsmum September 26, 2018

My weirdo loved this one too

Non-realistic gore. A bit of swearing. It was funny though and exactly the level of humour a 15 year old appreciates with enough gore to keep them watching. Nothing too serious. Scariest clown in history in this movie! :) Love that there are two girls kicking equal butt with the boys.
Adult Written byDarkAgentE February 21, 2018

A good time.

Zombieland is one of my favorite action comedies. There's non stop action, blood and gore, carnage, and lots of dark humor. The film can get surprisingly deep, and it makes you want to cry at one point. That's a big surprise, considering the fact that it is an action comedy with zombies in it. Zombieland is great, and it gets a 5/5.

Adult Written byZachary W. December 22, 2017

Halarious

This was a great movie and although there was a good amount of blood (less than the walking dead) but the language will most likely go over your head

Adult Written byPizza G. May 14, 2017

Horror comedy has great characters and action

Zombieland is probably the best zombie movie of all time. It combines superb action sequences and excellent gore effects with likable characters, witty humor, and some truly touching moments. Behind all the spurting blood and ripping flesh, there's some real heart (no pun intended). Not only are the characters and their backstories surprisingly moving, but the humor adds an extra layer of appeal, lightening up what would otherwise be a more standard zombie flick. While it isn't meant for particularly young kids, common sense media's 17+ rating is absolutely insane. Violence is frequent and gruesome, but it's also stylized and not quite realistic--zombies are shot point-blank, battered with blunt objects, smashed with falling objects, etc.--and language is strong yet infrequent when compared to other related titles ("f--k," "s--t," "bitch," and an instance of "c--kblocker"). The only other thing to worry about is some sexual innuendo that'll most likely go over younger ones' heads, and in the opening credits a skimpily dressed zombie stripper. Don't let the gore or swearing deter you, though; it's all in the name of campy entertainment, and the characters' surprising sweetness mellows things out. The Bill Murray scene had me and my brother laughing hysterically.

Adult Written byleonard p. October 14, 2016

Should have made a sequel

This is gory, crude, and beast. Also Woody Harrelson is savage af.

Adult Written byEvie B. October 1, 2016

Unique, funny, gory zombie movie is best for teens.

So I was just scrolling through my Netflix top picks and I found this movie. I asked my daughters what they thought about it and they said great let's watch it. My youngest (11) was a little unsure but I reminded her she'd been fine watching iZombie and she said okay and actually I think she handled it better than my 16-year-old so this is more of a know-your-kids situation. Anyway let me get on with my review. Positive Messages: 3/5. Lying underneath all the gore there is a message about family and that they don't have to be related to you they just have to care for you. Positive Role-Models 1/5. Columbus means well and his main goal is to see if his family have survived the zombie apocalypse. Tallahassee is there purely to kill zombies, find twinkies and the gratuitous cameo that's too good to spoil. Wichita and Little Rock are basically con-artists. They con people into giving them weapons and money. Violence 4/5. Less violent than typical zombie movies. Zombies are killed with gun shots to the head, whacks over the head, a zombie has her heel trapped in a door and she runs with a limp, a zombie is cut up (off-screen) and we see another character's reaction and many other gruesome deaths. Zombies kill humans not by eating their brains put feasting on their intestines we see them bite and rip out organs. There are also lots of zombie jump scares. The only death that really bummed out my youngest was near the beginning a woman runs out of her daughter's birthday party and lots of zombie little girls in princess dresses follow her she escapes them and gets into her car and drives away. She isn't paying attention to the road and a truck drives in front of her and she crashes into it. We learn that she doesn't have her seatbelt on and she comes flying out of her car and slides across the road blood following her. Sex 1/5. Sex is my only problem when showing my kids movies however it is limited to mild sexual innuendo. flirting and a slow motion zombie stripper with huge breasts and things covering her private parts. The scene only lasts about five seconds Language 3/5. Around twentysomething F-bombs and a few s--ts and milder terms. Consumerism 2/5. Who really pays attention to that but one character is fond of twinkies and his Cadillac. The film's climax is set in the fictional amusement park Pacific Playland which is really a place called Playland in Vancouver. Drinking 2/5. A character drinks before driving with no consequences. He gives some to his passenger who throws the liquid out the window and pretends to enjoy the drink. Frightening/Intense Scenes 5/5. If there is a long period of the characters having fun expect something to happen afterward. A girl has a huge zombie bite on her arm. Her sister goes to shoot her in the head however SPOILER ALERT it turns out they conning other characters to get weapons. SPOILER ALERT OVER Lots of intense zombie shoot-outs at the films climax. You are never sure if a character is going to make it. A black liquid frequently comes out of the zombie's mouths. A character has a list of rules of Surviving Zombieland. One of the main rules is Beware of Bathrooms. A short clip is shown of a man sitting on a toilet and a zombie coming under the cubicle door. When the main character is on the toilet he mentions his fear of clowns. Whilst he says it a cartoonish clown pops under the door however it is not real but may scare some viewers. At the film's climax that character must face a zombie clown. My girls were fine but anyone with even a tiny bit of a clown phobia will want to look away in this brief scene. A man and a woman fall asleep in an apartment room. When the man awakes the woman has become a zombie and the have a long fight scene. This is the first time you see one of the zombies close up after the slow-motion attack montage the film opens with. This is definitely a know-your-kids situation however I think most 14-year-olds with strong stomachs can handle this gore-fest, Thanks for reading this long review.

Adult Written byshannyn October 5, 2015

I Love It!

I love this movie! It's been one of my favourites for years now, I love the humor and when I first heard about it I thought the gore would be a lot worse, I'm very squeamish but there were very few scenes where I thought 'urg, gross'. I watched it when I was 12, though the language is quite bad I don't think it deserves it's 17+ rating, though I was quite a mature child it was honestly not that bad.
Adult Written bykelseylucas May 6, 2015

The Former Child's Review of Zombieland

When I was a child I would beg my parents to let me watch inappropriate movies similar to this one. This movie is amazing but I may have seen it too early. However, it may have helped me to get over my fear of zombies. It is incredibly funny and Tallahassee's devotion to Twinkies is a beautiful love story of its own.

Adult Written byNathan009 November 13, 2014

Good but for mature audience only

Good film has many good parts and is more violent than sexual. If you have seen Shaun of the dead this is sutible for you.

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byMommaOfTwoo July 25, 2014

loved it!

I thought that this movie, while violent, was hilarious! It's obviously not a movie for children, use some common sense people.

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 October 12, 2012

Zombieland=Fun!

Zombieland is great fun! The mix of over-the-top horror violence and rich, (if sometimes inappropriate) comedy is irresistible! The story follows the geeky Columbus, who wishes to start a family in California, a supposedly zombie uninhabited place. Along the way, he teams up with a wild rough-and-tumble Tallahassee, the feminine yet tough Wichita, and the twelve year old girl Little Rock, all with destinations of their own. When Columbus discovers that his destination was burned down, he has nothing left to lose. Together, they go to Los Angeles, seeking out a zombie-free amusement park that Wichita and Little Rock were originally seeking. Violence: 9/10 Zombies graphically kill (a zombie eats out a woman's leg muscles) so in turn, they're graphically killed. (a zombie's head is cut off offscreen.) A zombie's leg is slammed in a door. Zombies eat people, vomit blood and unknown substances, chase main characters, and more. Quite a few jump scenes. Innocents are eaten and killed in many ways. Language: 10/10 F***, C**k, B****, B******, A**, D**k, D**n, H***, Sh**, Sucks, Crap, Piss, and more. Sex: 4/10 Is discussed and referenced to. A girl cuddles with a boy and falls asleep. (She turns into a zombie when he wakes up! Gasp!) A passionate kiss or two. Not bad, considering the R rating. MPAA Official Rating: Rated R for horror violence/gore and language.

Adult Written bycommin August 13, 2012

Woody Harrelson, The Twinkie Loving Wildman

Hello CSM. For this review, me and my dad will write it together since I'm going to college tomorrow:(. Anyway, here it is. First is my dad. This is a very entertaining and well made film. Four very different people fight to retain their integrity and human-ness in the face of a world that is falling apart with the greater part of the population affected by Zombies. The bleak landscape includes highways lined with abandoned cars and vandalized grocery stores. The initial attraction of Bill Murray's gaudy mansion becomes less attractive to the main characters as they attempt to pursue a life rooted in reality. It doesn't happen. And now here is my review, To be honest, Zombieland was one of the greatest movies i've ever seen. Woody Harrelson, Really funny. But Jesse Eisenberg, Funny as hell! It was a pretty funny horror comedy. I Didn't even know those were real! The language is frequent. But the violence is almost constant. There are brief sex moments but ok. There is a 12 year girl (abigail benson) knows how to use a gun. However, It all goes out as a hilarious movie. Thank you for reading.

Adult Written bymommy2therescue May 26, 2012

good for kids

it is a great family horror movie

Adult Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Zombieland

good zombie intence movie, good plot!

Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Very gory, but very funny!

My MPAA rating: R for strong bloody zombie violence throughout, and for some strong language.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byTheRightGuy101 August 21, 2011

Outstanding zombie movie!

My son and I went to see this at the cinema and we thought it was both Action and Comedy but not stupid comedy. The F word is used currently but not really, really bad. No sex scenes, a brief " You wanna f**k her don't you?" but it does not stand out. The Action is awesome but not over whelming and the comedy is just right. The perfect movie for all 13-year-old boys who love their crude zombie movies! 5/5

Adult Written bykingcal102 August 2, 2011

let your kid have it

possibly the best zombie comedy of all time i have it and its great. if you wont let your kid have it here's the basic story the world gets a plague that turns everyone into zombies 4 people survive this is a tale of survival, bravery and zombies (obviously!)

Adult Written byWELDADJ June 7, 2011

Great Horror/Comedy-NOT for young teens

My MPAA Rating: Rated R for Graphic Horror Violence, Intense Sequences of Gore, Strong Language, and brief sexual content