All member reviews for Artpop

Pop provocateur's joyless album sends iffy messages.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySodaDog November 22, 2013

Another work of Art from Lady Gaga....Lay off, GSN Hatena & CSM..

This album lives up to everything i hoped for. It's a really good choice for any Lady Gaga fan! It may have sex and profanity, but it isn't THAT inappropiate. You can ever hear that stuff at school!
Written byAnonymous November 19, 2013

This album is not for kids. 21+ Only if want these sex songs. If you don't want this. Don't get it. I Love it because of Lady GaGa has done it. I would have to say Nothing is Positive. Lady GaGa wants the guy to do something to her body (I say Lady GaGa wants to be Degraded). Rated NC-17/ TV-MA Album.

Lady GaGa's Artpop Review: Sex 8/10: The sex songs in Artpop are 2. Venus, 3. G.U.Y (Girl Under You), 4. Sex*x Dreams, Do what U want (Featuring R. Kelly), and 9. Swine Plus one in 5. Jewels & Drugs. Language 8/10: A Load of it. That's why this CD has the Parental Advisory Sticker on it. Consumerism 8/10: 2 Songs with this is 10. Donatella, & 11. Fashion with a lot more then that. Drinking, Drugs, & Smoking 8/10: Track 5 Jewels & Drugs. There are a lot it.
Adult Written byJWilliams303 November 19, 2013

Not her best work...and this is coming from a little monster

I am a very big fan of Lady Gaga and have always listened to her ever since her first single "Just Dance". I was very excited for this album to come out and was hoping it would be at least just as great as her last album "Born This Way". When "Applause" came out, I did like the song, but it wasn't really her best work to be honest. Then when the album got released, I was hoping that all the other songs would be better than "Applause" was. The album in general is alright...sadly the album wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Don't get me wrong I still like to listen to the songs on the album, but the songs just aren't as catchy like "Bad Romance", or "Poker Face". I'm not saying I hate the album, but I'm not saying that it was worth the wait either. I was hoping for more catchier songs than what is on the album. The songs that really stood out on the abum was "ARTPOP", "Do What U Want", "Mary Jane Holland", "Dope", and "Gypsy". All the other songs are just alright. All in all, I would have to say that this album was ok, but not an album to get very excited about.
Adult Written byevolinag October 18, 2014

Disappointing and uninventive Gaga album had some iffy content

The worst thing that an album can do is starting off with the best track. "Aura", the opening song, is an irresistable psytrance inspired excellent line delivery, generally hard beats, techno-ish bass and synths and an earworm chorus. Sadly, it stays the album's most memorable moment. Much of the album's songs sound the same, and on top of that, surprisingly uninventive. Lady Gaga, who is known for such power anthems as "Born This Way", "Bad Romance", "Telephone", "Poker Face:, "Alejandro", "Just Dance", "The Edge of Glory", "Judas", "Lovegame" or "Paparazzi" - in other words more memorable tracks and instant classics than any other artist in the last 10 years - it is kind of sad that her fourth album (considering "The Fame Monster" a standalone album) sounds, simply put, exchangable. We've all heard this before, and much better. Gaga's fun diva attitude just isn't enough to sustain the entire album. It is called "artpop", but stil remains Gaga's least artful album to date. It's just not original enough, it lacks passion, surprise and great melody - all of the characteristics Gaga's music is known for. Like with most of Gaga's records, sex is present throughout the album, but without being too graphic. Language is present at the level of average pop music. The worst terms come from the featured artists. The track "Aura" starts off with Gaga describing how she kille her former self (not too graphic). Some drug references, but nothing too extreme.
Teen, 16 years old Written byD8270 September 24, 2014

A track-by-track examination

Alright, this album isn't really all that inappropriate - aside from two songs that there are clean versions for or you can easily just rule out. Just going to go through the tracks and address the inappropriate content they may have. Understand that despite there being a song or two about sex, it isn't necessarily crude or meant to be and rather artistic. Aura - Devoid of explicit lyrics, though a specific verse has been found controversial among religious groups ("enigma popstar is fun, she wear burqa for fashion") and in two brief lines she sings "dance, sex, artpop, tech", but it doesn't particularly stick out and she never goes further than that. Venus - Venus is somewhat obviously about sex (but what song nowadays isn't?) but there are no explicit lyrics other than "a--" near the end of the song. If you're bothered by that one little word, there's a clean version out there. G.U.Y. - An acronym for "Girl Under You" that is mostly clean aside from the line at the beginning in which she briefly states, "Greetings Himeros, god of sexual desire!" X Dreams - This song I would highly suggest keeping from your kids. It doesn't have any curse words but the subject of the song is beyond obvious and there are some minorly dirty words to be found. Jewels N' Drugs - Another dirty rap track that I would also keep from your kids. The word "p---y" is used by guest rappers, among other words. The clean version doesn't do much considering the song is loaded with bad language and it is still pretty much audible even with the blurs. MANiCURE - Clean. The subject of the song isn't dirty either. Do What U Want - S--t is used once. Clean version is available and isn't even regarded as explicit. Swine - A-- is used once, though not classified as explicit. Donatella - B*tch is used in the opening line. Again, a clean version is available. Fashion! - Entirely clean song entirely about just what the title suggests. Mary Jane Holland - P--- is used once, but it isn't even classified as explicit nor does it stick out. Dope - The f-word is used once. Very depressing and personal track. Clean version is available that removes that word from it. Gypsy - Clean dance track. Applause - Kid-friendly and almost a hundred-percent clean song. Some lyrics may seem dirty to those who are older (give me that feeling that I love / turn the lights off / put your hands up / make it real loud) but the actual meaning isn't dirty by any means. Not very dirty as a whole, X Dreams and Jewels N' Drugs obviously are but those can easily be restricted (and are the worst songs on the album regardless) Good album as a whole with an occasional word. The subjects are no more inappropriate than most mainstream pop, though there are still some mature ones. Born This Way is much more clean than this and features better messages, so I'd probably suggest that for the younger group. Great album for teens 14 and up.
Educator and Parent Written byJared Galczynski May 9, 2014

Here's something, parents

"Do what you want with your children, do what you want with your children!"
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2014

Ok for kids 14+, maybe 12+ if REALLY mature!

Lady GaGa is known for her amazing songs! This album is her best so far, especially Applause and Artpop. The songs sport some language and sexual innuendo, especially G.U.Y. Overall, it is a good album for probably 14+!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJmc123 December 19, 2013

great

artpop is a really good but kind of inappropriate album. there is a lot of sexually lyrics on this album and some swearing. the album Artpop is really good but kids under the age of 14 should not listen to it
Teen, 13 years old Written byBenjamingreni December 15, 2013

Mixed Messages sent from Lady Gaga's newest album, Artpop

The newest album from controversial pop singer Lady Gaga sends mixed messages, per it references sexual material that may be inappropriate for kids 12 and under. But on the other hand, Lady Gaga could be considered a positive role model. She may wear wild outfits, but she is all about being yourself.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieBro December 1, 2013

The real review (with the good songs)

Here is the true reason why all of these are explicit Aura - it says "killed" which was the only reason it got the explicit tag. Venus - it says "a--" G.U.Y - "greetings from Eros, God of sexual desire" (Im not going to review X Dreams and Jewels N' Drugs because I hate those) MANICURE - clean Do What U Want - "s---" "blunt" ARTPOP - clean Swine - "a--" Donatella - "b*tch" Fashion - clean Mary Jane Holland - honestly, the only bad word is piss, and it is uncensored in the clean version... Gypsy & Applause - clean This is officially why the tracks I like are explicit!