All member reviews for Babel

Folk-rock darlings cut another pensive, mostly clean album.

Parent Written byDan G. October 12, 2012

I would never give my kids music with the F word in it.

There is no reason that children's music needs such vulgarity.
Parent Written byKennyLogginsFan October 19, 2012

Mumford and Puns

I simply cannot recommend this album. This album suffers not from lyrical offensiveness, but from musical mindlessness. If satan and kings of leon made an album, this would be it. It just blows.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 December 6, 2012

babel

Families can talk about how bands like Mumford & Sons use their songs to explore complex emotions. Do you understand many of the cryptic thoughts and messages? What do you think the band means by the line "So when your hope is on fire but you know your desire / Don't hold a glass over the flame, don't let your heart grow cold"? Has music ever helped you cope with hard feelings? How?
Teen, 15 years old Written byjb321678 February 20, 2013

A very thoughtful album that makes a bold statement.

It seems, Mumford and Sons just somewhat came out of nowhere (well at least for me). After hearing I Will Wait and The Cave, I knew that I was a fan. Especially, after exploring the messages from the brilliant song, I Will Wait. After listening, I realized that if anything, it's a worship or praise song. For example in one line it states, "Raise my hands Paint my spirit gold And bow my head Keep my heart slow". I'm not too sure about you, but to me it sounds a lot like he is pleading to his god to give him the help he needs. I'm not saying Marcus Mumford is a christian but to me, that song has a special place in my heart. As I continued on with the album, seems felt pretty spiritual. With references like "Serving the Lord" and "Lord forgive of all my sins" I felt that Mumford and Sons had a point to get at. Mumford and Sons definitely has some deep spiritual beliefs and they make it clear with Babel. Even with the four F-bombs dropped in Broken Crown, I still felt like my heart was being attracted and pulled to something bigger and better than me and man, that is quite amazing. Ignoring the few utters of F***, Mumford and Sons has made a statement that is spiritual and beautiful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjdog97 August 26, 2013

I normally don't review anything on this site, but...

I had too, because the other reviews by some of the adults were making me surprisingly angry. I don't know if those people were actually being serious, or those were troll (or "fake") reviews. One review gave the Album 1 star, and didn't even write a real review. Another gave it 1 star and called it "musical mindlessness", which I'll talk about later. The one that angered me the most, though, was from reviewer Dan G. who says: [quote/]There is no reason that children's music needs such vulgarity.[end quote/] There is nothing in this album that the average 10 year old doesn't hear every day. As a high-schooler, more immature and puerile comments are made every 10 seconds than they are in this entire album. Does the band curse? Yes, I think the f-word is uttered 3 times, to be exact. That doesn't matter. Like I said before, there aren't even 10 year-olds that don't hear that word every day at school, much less 13 year-olds that can't handle it. Anyone who denies that must fact be blind to the fact that the public school system, sadly, is not living up to the moral standards that it should be (but what do you expect when you get a group of predominantly immature teenagers around?). Now that my rant is over, I'll write the actual review. This album is great. Period. I don't say anything is "great" usually. The only other album I remember describing as great is Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, by The Beatles. The album is a masterpiece lyrically. Each song is filled with, somehow, intricately dark and twisted, yet encouraging and uplifting lyrics. The album starts with the song it got it's name from, "Babel", which is a catchy, rather violent (musically, not lyrically) song. The album only get's better from there, with the popular "I Will Wait". I won't describe the rest of the songs for you, but the highlights, for me at least were "Babel", "I Will Wait", and "Broken Crown". I strongly recommend you ignore other's reviews, and enjoy this lyrical treasure yourselves. 4/5, or 8/10. P.S: I would break this up into proper paragraphs, but Common Sense Media doesn't allow that, for some nonsensical reason.
Adult Written bytolkien geek mi March 9, 2014

Mostly Clean

Mumford and Sons is a great band. They're good musicians, they have mostly uplifting lyrics, and they don't depend on racy videos to make their songs hit. A couple things to bear in mind...first off their music does get mildly repetitive, so make sure you really like their sound before you purchase! Second, Broken Crown has one use of the f word, and a few other songs include mild language (they are from the UK where such language is often considered more acceptable). Overall it's a good, mostly clean, album that's appropriate for any teen old enough to know that profanity isn't a good idea, no matter what the lyrics say.