All member reviews for Babel

Teen, 15 years old Written byjdog97 August 26, 2013

I normally don't review anything on this site, but...

I had too, because the other reviews by some of the adults were making me surprisingly angry. I don't know if those people were actually being serious, or those were troll (or "fake") reviews. One review gave the Album 1 star, and didn't even write a real review. Another gave it 1 star and called it "musical mindlessness", which I'll talk about later. The one that angered me the most, though, was from reviewer Dan G. who says: [quote/]There is no reason that children's music needs such vulgarity.[end quote/] There is nothing in this album that the average 10 year old doesn't hear every day. As a high-schooler, more immature and puerile comments are made every 10 seconds than they are in this entire album. Does the band curse? Yes, I think the f-word is uttered 3 times, to be exact. That doesn't matter. Like I said before, there aren't even 10 year-olds that don't hear that word every day at school, much less 13 year-olds that can't handle it. Anyone who denies that must fact be blind to the fact that the public school system, sadly, is not living up to the moral standards that it should be (but what do you expect when you get a group of predominantly immature teenagers around?). Now that my rant is over, I'll write the actual review. This album is great. Period. I don't say anything is "great" usually. The only other album I remember describing as great is Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, by The Beatles. The album is a masterpiece lyrically. Each song is filled with, somehow, intricately dark and twisted, yet encouraging and uplifting lyrics. The album starts with the song it got it's name from, "Babel", which is a catchy, rather violent (musically, not lyrically) song. The album only get's better from there, with the popular "I Will Wait". I won't describe the rest of the songs for you, but the highlights, for me at least were "Babel", "I Will Wait", and "Broken Crown". I strongly recommend you ignore other's reviews, and enjoy this lyrical treasure yourselves. 4/5, or 8/10. P.S: I would break this up into proper paragraphs, but Common Sense Media doesn't allow that, for some nonsensical reason.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjb321678 February 20, 2013

A very thoughtful album that makes a bold statement.

It seems, Mumford and Sons just somewhat came out of nowhere (well at least for me). After hearing I Will Wait and The Cave, I knew that I was a fan. Especially, after exploring the messages from the brilliant song, I Will Wait. After listening, I realized that if anything, it's a worship or praise song. For example in one line it states, "Raise my hands Paint my spirit gold And bow my head Keep my heart slow". I'm not too sure about you, but to me it sounds a lot like he is pleading to his god to give him the help he needs. I'm not saying Marcus Mumford is a christian but to me, that song has a special place in my heart. As I continued on with the album, seems felt pretty spiritual. With references like "Serving the Lord" and "Lord forgive of all my sins" I felt that Mumford and Sons had a point to get at. Mumford and Sons definitely has some deep spiritual beliefs and they make it clear with Babel. Even with the four F-bombs dropped in Broken Crown, I still felt like my heart was being attracted and pulled to something bigger and better than me and man, that is quite amazing. Ignoring the few utters of F***, Mumford and Sons has made a statement that is spiritual and beautiful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byopalescent April 10, 2015

I don't know how they do it.

The talented musicians Marcus Mumford, Ben Lovett, "Country" Winston Marshall, and Ted Dwane have done it again: created another beautiful album. I agree with what jb321678 says. The "f" word is said a few times in "Broken Crown"; don't let your children listen to that. I have only once, by accident. Again, "Country" Winston Marshall has turned the banjo into an instrument as lovely as the harp; Marcus Mumford definitely knows how to play guitar. It's a gorgeous album, just like the other; though I have to say I'd prefer the last one. If you like these albums, you'll be disappointed to know that in their new album "Wilder Mind" they've traded that acoustic guitar for an electric one and have gotten rid of the banjo completely. Although I shouldn't judge too early; only "Believe" and "The Wolf" have come out yet. But this album is ideal for thoughtful preteens-teens. Like Common Sense Media said, the band members have done an excellent job of keeping their personal live out of the spotlight, unlike, say, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, etc. And also like an adult has said, they don't grab attention because of racy music videos (though "Hopeless Wanderer" made for a pretty controversial video).