All parent member reviews for "Bad Romance" (CD single)

Parent Written byChatanoogaChooChoo March 29, 2011
What can I say? A person who isn't a teenager (she's supposed to be an adult), is talking about having a bad romance, wanting drama, and liking disturbance. She probably has some of her own issues to work over; like for example wanting attention so bad she'll traumatize herself with a bad relationship. I can say that yes teenagers tend to be pretty immature, but she is not one. Her immaturity arises out of her problems, not her age. Don't let her impose those problems onto impressionable kids. She should be held just as responsible for her words as any adult I know, especially when she is in the eye of every kid. Doesn't it mean teens need guidance if they act similarly to her? I think so. She's a bad role model, her messages are not what teens need to be hearing. It's not just that the songs are dirty, which is bad enough in itself, but it's the meaning behind them. Saying she's a freak means she's willing to do anything and everything to a guy who will probably end up messing her over, and wanting someones disease is wanting their issues.
Adult Written byFurlabun March 16, 2011

Great song for older kids- be sure to talk about the real message.

The thing is, this song isn't glorifying a bad relationship- it's recognizing the problem. Lady Gaga wrote many of the 'The Fame Monster' songs while on tour about her paranoia, or 'monsters'- this was about the love monster. She admitted the song was inspired by how relationships usually never work out because they guy isn't good. In the song, she exaggerates the qualities of a bad relationship to point out just how bad it is. In fact, she's almost making fun of the 'lifetime' channel's women stereotype always being drawn to a bad relationship. It's basically all about how it makes no sense for a girl to fall in love with a bad guy but they do it anyways. Subtly, but it's still there. Watch out for the music video, though. Mother Monster bears a good bit of flesh in some parts and, although it doesn't say it outright, the plot is about the worst kind of 'bad romance', human trafficking. All in all it's an amazingly catchy tune with Mother's awesome vocals packed in perfect unison, even if there is a bit of swearing. 'Clean' versions have her saying bit instead of the longer word, which she only says 5 times at the end. That version'd be okay for any kid. And that 'vertigo stick' line is only a sexual reference when you're looking for sexual references. Gaga has said herself, it's another version of psycho, which she says right in the line above it. Where I come from, 'vertigo stick' is slang, meaning a really long, drawn-out session of vertigo.
Adult Written byLiv and Bellas Mom January 30, 2011

OK for teens but not for tweens and below

Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written byjjmmwgdp May 20, 2010

music marginal, video not for anyone but adults

The song is only slightly bad. However, do NOT let kids see the video. Sexually overcharged and violent. Unless you think someone shooting bullets (or sparks) from their nipples and setting their sex partner on fire is normal.
Parent Written byCooldee April 22, 2010
Beware of the sexual refernces and swearing throughout.
Parent of a 10, 11, and 12 year old Written bykaylina2619 April 20, 2010
says the b word throuout and the video is grosd in a sex sort of way
Parent of a 15 year old Written bycatdog12 April 3, 2010
Well i have a problem with this Sex: One sexual euphemism: “I want your vertigo stick.” this doesn't have to do with sex this is a reference to Alfred Hitchcock so please do not take the reference as a sexual term
Parent of a 7, 11, and 11 year old Written byMPerfection March 18, 2010

for no one.

The msg. is about getting revenge for Lady Gaga's lover which is a lesbian since she has more that once says she loves women. In the video she ends up killing the guy that her lover has been with. She has seduced him.
Adult Written bydb702 February 1, 2010

Wonderful for older kids

Lady GaGa is a refreshing role model for older tweens/teens. The music video is edgy and very imaginative, and it encourages creativity and free thought while being very entertaining. Yes, the video contains mature themes (such as a very glossy depiction of the sex trade), but unlike other songs and music videos which show women used purely as sex objects, Lady Gaga makes it clear that she is her own woman with her own art direction.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 10 year old Written bythelittlebird January 21, 2010

Wish I could endorse the lyrics cause I like the music!

I saw the song performed as part of a music video. Forced consumption of vodka, negative images of women being objectified as sex symbols, and inappropriate language for my 10 year old. Loved the beat and can see why the kids want to listen - I'm looking for the same kind of music with a different message!
Adult Written bycaitlin414 January 2, 2010

Perfect

I love lady gaga! She is a very good role model!!!
Parent of a 2 and 10 year old Written byHoneybrownmommyof2 November 15, 2009

If anyone younger than 14 is listening to Lady Gaga, look at the parents!

The line is "Vertigo schtick", not "Vertical Stick". She is referencing the films, Psycho and Vertigo, as she describes the craziness within the relationship. She's not referencing sex at all with that line. I like the song. I listen to her regularly. No one under 14 should listen to her as she's really not geared toward them anyway. She's for older teens and adults.