All member reviews for "Blurred Lines (feat. T.I., Pharrell)" (CD Single)

Racy single and explicit video are all about sex.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 May 31, 2013

As long as you avoid the music videos (both of them) it should be fine for mature teens.

The music videos are FOR SURE not for kids and teens. Some of the scenes in the "edited" music video are from the "unrated" version. (Some topless women covering their breasts with their arms). The "unrated" version of the music video was removed from Youtube not too long ago but it's still available on Vevo. For a song about sex that only goes as far as moderate innuendo, topless women in the music video is UNACCEPTABLE. However, I love the song because it reminds me of old-school R&B and I'm glad that a lot of new music (such as Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories) is bringing back that style. If your teens listen to Timbaland, then they should be able to handle the SONG (not the videos) just fine. It has lots of innuendo (though it's hard to find new music that doesn't have innuendo) and surprisingly mild (though I don't like the use of 'b**ch') language.
Parent Written by☆Top Parent☆ August 21, 2013

Breezy, fun, summer track, mommy approved!

After reading Common Sense's review, well, to say the least, I was skeptical. But after listening to it, and carefully analyzing the messages in the song, I decided my kids can listen to it. But then, it hit me, half the fun of a song, is in the video! I saw it was "Unrated", and that means it's fine for all ages, so it doesn't even need to be rated! My kids learned all about the female anatomy! They love it! Five stars!
Teen, 16 years old Written byshay4ever June 10, 2013

video not for children

Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 October 23, 2013

If you don't like it, don't watch it

I absolutely hate this song. But I don't see why some of you are saying its not for teens, maybe not younger teens but older ones its fine. And the people who are saying that the video is 'unacceptable' why would you watch it if you have such a problem with it?
Parent Written byHonest_Chase July 31, 2013

"Blurred Lines" says it all. He says "I know you want it" and "But you're a good girl". If you go to any club or party whatever the messages that women give out are confusing. As in blurred lines..... Dirty dancing, dressing like a stripper and being as seductive as can be, but men can see that they are young and appear to be hesitant when the time comes to follow through on their actions. Therefore it is hard to know what they really want. Hence Blurred Lines. this song contains many Sexual Themes, and a tiny bit of somewhat strong language used by Rapper T.I.(but thats to be expected hes a rapper and a lot of rappers refer to women as b****es or a b***h), but that's R&B for you a lot of people judge this song as a pop song because of the upbeat tempo, but it is R&B much like Robin Thicke's Earlier song "Sex Therapy". For this Song know your kid they, certainly make sure they don't have a steady diet of songs like this otherwise their opinion of women will change. Once again know your kid.

Great R&B title, But Mature.
Teen, 14 years old Written byArjunjbsriram June 1, 2013

Videos to be avoided

The song itself has little to worry about. It simply has some innuendo and language but nothing too extreme. However, the uncut video is inappropriate. But it still is not too extreme. If the content of it were put into a movie, it would be a light R rated movie due to the showing of breasts. And if it were a R rated movie, CSM would rate it 15 or 16. Language contains a few uses of ass and b*tch. There was one drug reference in the song but in the video it shows Robin Thicke drinking and blowing smoke into a model's face. The video is extremely sexist and demeaning so children should not be exposed to it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySantaClaus393904 August 4, 2013

I don't think it's that bad

Kids are more mature than you think. I know a 9 year old who was mature enough to watch a film with the use of the F-word. The words used in this song aren't that bad in my opinion.
Teen, 17 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx July 14, 2013

Ugh... there are blurred lines between...

over-the-top fun and non-consent. Let me explain, or rather, let me first point out the good parts of this song. It's fun. A very fun-sounding, '70s throwback type song with that groovy disco beat. And I do mean "groovy" in the sense that it has a great groove to it. No wonder, it samples Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up." Pharrell also shouts "whoo!" which I approve of and adds to the fun. I can imagine myself dancing to this (if it weren't for the lyrics, which I'll get to in a minute), putting my (non-alcoholic) drink in the air. Now... what do I not like about it? There's a reason why a Twitter hashtag search (which Thicke and crew are trying to exploit in the video, a minor nitpick seeing as a lot of pop artists are doing that nowadays), #rapey comes up with a lot of responses for this song. Now, before I get blasted, this is just my analysis and I'm sure that Thicke is not trying to come across this way. It's just been so pervasive in pop culture that I don't think he or many other people see why it could come across this way. Considering that he sees this woman as an "undomesticated animal," (it really does irritate me that twice they also use a misogynistic word that should only be used to describe a literal animal, but anyway...) should he really have to be trying this hard to convince her to "hug" him (or whatever rhymes with that. If it's what he's trying to hint at, not a rhyme.)? Blurred lines actually in and of itself hints at what people consider the fuzzy line between consent and non-consent, as in, he pretty much literally says that he hates the fact that these "blurred lines" are giving him mixed signals as to whether they should get it on ("Talkin' about getting blasted/I hate these blurred lines/I know you want it"). Here's the thing, if you're unsure, just walk away from the encounter. The Steubenville incident also had what the assailants considered "blurred lines." Think I'm going too far? It goes further to ask the girl to "do it like it hurt." The video doesn't help either, the explicit or the regular version. It's not so much that the girls are topless or just have skimpy clothing, I mean, at this point this year I've seen three music videos with topless girls, so the shock value has gotten kind of old. Plus, if the women want to dress up that way, all the more power to them. But it actually makes the video less sexy, seeing as they're almost naked and still not doing anything besides walking around, so it gives off this exploitative feel. But what really irks me is the dead expression in the models' eyes, just a glassy, thousand-yard stare... Combined with the lyrics, you can't blame me for getting this weird, non-consensual vibe, like they were drugged. So again, just my analysis, and I'm not trying to insinuate that Thicke actually wants to perform sexual assault, but it is just one more song that adds to the misogynistic aura of pop culture. Want a dance song that has just of a retro-party mood without any of the creepiness? Go to "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, or "Treasure" by Bruno Mars if that's more your style.
Parent Written byMedia_is_Disgusting June 12, 2013

I'm back.

So, I'm annoyed that Common Sense Media has deleted many of my reviews. I may have radical parenting views, but those views fall under freedom of speech. I see you've allowed many other reviewers of my caliber or even more pro-censorship, such as GSN Hatena, to post their reviews, and I do not see how I'm much worse than them. There are parts where I may have gotten over-the-top, such as me referencing calling an exorcist in my now-gone Thrift Shop review, but I was not 'trolling', per se, simply using hyperbole to prove my point. Anyway, I've decided to tone myself down a bit, in order for my reviews not to be deleted, but it's sad that you'd restrict what I say. This is a site for parents to post their opinions. So, this song is a very popular one entitled 'Blurred Lines'. It gets a lot of airplay where I'm from, but that definitely doesn't mean it's appropriate for kids. There are many unprintable sexual references and even a drug reference that somewhat promotes it. There are also many swear words, like "a**" and "b**ch", which I do not feel is suitable for kids under eighteen to hear, as it may shape their opinion on women. The clean version definitely does not help, as it still has graphic lines like "You're an animal" and the aforementioned drug reference. Also, I have noticed that the title "blurred lines", could refer to cocaine, and would not make sense in any other context, as the singer states "Blurred lines, I know you want 'em". It could mean blurred lines between right and wrong, or censor bars, as another user pointed out, but I think it should be interpreted as a drug reference, as people like Robin Thicke obviously don't want censor bars. Media_is_Disgusting out!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRhinoceros February 12, 2014

Great Song

Overplayed so your kid will hear it anyway. Its a great song and its okay for middle schoolers. Just not the video. Boobs are shown in the vid
Kid, 10 years old February 7, 2014

uhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid rape song dont bother #offencive too women
Kid, 10 years old November 16, 2013
Robin Thicke is so hotttttt and I <3 this song!My mom used to <3 Growing Pains
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma80slover August 5, 2013

Great song, explict video

I love this song, but I just made the mistake of watching the unrated version of the video. Talk about ew. Nothing but topless girls dancing around in tiny thongs. Not to mention the bad language. Great song, but I recommend the edited video.
Kid, 12 years old August 5, 2013

Horrid

To be honest, I was most offended by those stuffed animals. They were probably shot carelessly for the video and then used just so that these nude girls can sit on them and rub their private parts on these animals which would of been shot to impress Robin. I think that is really sick. I also hate the way Robin basically acts like he's just using the girls, blowing cigarette smoke at them and stuff like that. I hated watching the video, but the tune is sort of OK. I found the music video really offensive.
Adult Written byabbacus July 7, 2013

Not my taste.

I don't really like this song. Fine for older teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxPunkRockx November 2, 2015

Disgusting

Robin Thicke is a pig. He actually said in an interview that they made the song just to blatantly be sexist. The lyrics are pretty much about a guy who's trying to get with a girl, and she doesn't want to. It almost sounds like he wants to rape her. If this is what 'normal' teens listen to nowadays, then i'm happy to be the odd one out.
Educator and Parent Written byJared Galczynski May 16, 2014

"Baby, can you believe, Common Sense Media?"

"I know you want it, I know you want it, I know you want it, 'cause they are so wrong!"
Teen, 17 years old Written byrebma97 April 17, 2014

Catchy, but sexist

This song is admittedly catchy, but the lyrics are disrespectful towards women. It's all about the objectification of women. It also borders on date rape ("I know you want it"). I know Robin Thicke was married when this song came out, but I just find it a little too offensive. Violence: There's no actual violence, but the song does border on date rape ("I know you want it"). Sex: The song is about sleeping with women and includes lyrics like, "You're an animal" and "I know you want it". The music video shows half-naked women writhing on Robin Thicke, and the explicit version has them naked. Language includes "a**" and "You the hottest b*tch in this place!"
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissPretty175 November 29, 2013

Song = great, video = ... SEXIST TO WOMEN!!!

Seriously, Thicke acts like he wants to RAPE those girls ( well, he probably does) . The song is great, very catchy and I can't get it out of my head. The video is sick sick sick and the girls hump stuffed animals NAKED, and it's really horrid. It makes me sick. But, kids are getting more mature these days. If your kid knows sexism is wrong and is mature enough, let them listen to the song. DON'T LET ANYONE NEAR THE VIDEO THOUGH, KID OR NOT.
Adult Written byRosebud95 November 14, 2013

Blurred Lines

This song is catchy, but I sometimes annoyed by it. Plus it's one of those trite "let's hookup songs".... :/