All member reviews for "Blurred Lines (feat. T.I., Pharrell)" (CD Single)

Racy single and explicit video are all about sex.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 May 31, 2013

As long as you avoid the music videos (both of them) it should be fine for mature teens.

The music videos are FOR SURE not for kids and teens. Some of the scenes in the "edited" music video are from the "unrated" version. (Some topless women covering their breasts with their arms). The "unrated" version of the music video was removed from Youtube not too long ago but it's still available on Vevo. For a song about sex that only goes as far as moderate innuendo, topless women in the music video is UNACCEPTABLE. However, I love the song because it reminds me of old-school R&B and I'm glad that a lot of new music (such as Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories) is bringing back that style. If your teens listen to Timbaland, then they should be able to handle the SONG (not the videos) just fine. It has lots of innuendo (though it's hard to find new music that doesn't have innuendo) and surprisingly mild (though I don't like the use of 'b**ch') language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byshay4ever June 10, 2013

video not for children

Parent Written by☆Top Parent☆ August 21, 2013

Breezy, fun, summer track, mommy approved!

After reading Common Sense's review, well, to say the least, I was skeptical. But after listening to it, and carefully analyzing the messages in the song, I decided my kids can listen to it. But then, it hit me, half the fun of a song, is in the video! I saw it was "Unrated", and that means it's fine for all ages, so it doesn't even need to be rated! My kids learned all about the female anatomy! They love it! Five stars!
Teen, 14 years old Written byArjunjbsriram June 1, 2013

Videos to be avoided

The song itself has little to worry about. It simply has some innuendo and language but nothing too extreme. However, the uncut video is inappropriate. But it still is not too extreme. If the content of it were put into a movie, it would be a light R rated movie due to the showing of breasts. And if it were a R rated movie, CSM would rate it 15 or 16. Language contains a few uses of ass and b*tch. There was one drug reference in the song but in the video it shows Robin Thicke drinking and blowing smoke into a model's face. The video is extremely sexist and demeaning so children should not be exposed to it.
Kid, 10 years old November 16, 2013

<3 it!

Robin Thicke is so hotttttt and I <3 this song!My mom used to <3 Growing Pains
Kid, 12 years old August 5, 2013

Horrid

To be honest, I was most offended by those stuffed animals. They were probably shot carelessly for the video and then used just so that these nude girls can sit on them and rub their private parts on these animals which would of been shot to impress Robin. I think that is really sick. I also hate the way Robin basically acts like he's just using the girls, blowing cigarette smoke at them and stuff like that. I hated watching the video, but the tune is sort of OK. I found the music video really offensive.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySantaClaus393904 August 4, 2013

I don't think it's that bad

Kids are more mature than you think. I know a 9 year old who was mature enough to watch a film with the use of the F-word. The words used in this song aren't that bad in my opinion.
Educator and Parent Written byJared Galczynski May 16, 2014

"Baby, can you believe, Common Sense Media?"

"I know you want it, I know you want it, I know you want it, 'cause they are so wrong!"
Teen, 17 years old Written byrebma97 April 17, 2014

Catchy, but sexist

This song is admittedly catchy, but the lyrics are disrespectful towards women. It's all about the objectification of women. It also borders on date rape ("I know you want it"). I know Robin Thicke was married when this song came out, but I just find it a little too offensive. Violence: There's no actual violence, but the song does border on date rape ("I know you want it"). Sex: The song is about sleeping with women and includes lyrics like, "You're an animal" and "I know you want it". The music video shows half-naked women writhing on Robin Thicke, and the explicit version has them naked. Language includes "a**" and "You the hottest b*tch in this place!"
Teen, 14 years old Written byRhinoceros February 12, 2014

Great Song

Overplayed so your kid will hear it anyway. Its a great song and its okay for middle schoolers. Just not the video. Boobs are shown in the vid
Kid, 10 years old February 7, 2014

uhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid rape song dont bother #offencive too women
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissPretty175 November 29, 2013

Song = great, video = ... SEXIST TO WOMEN!!!

Seriously, Thicke acts like he wants to RAPE those girls ( well, he probably does) . The song is great, very catchy and I can't get it out of my head. The video is sick sick sick and the girls hump stuffed animals NAKED, and it's really horrid. It makes me sick. But, kids are getting more mature these days. If your kid knows sexism is wrong and is mature enough, let them listen to the song. DON'T LET ANYONE NEAR THE VIDEO THOUGH, KID OR NOT.
Adult Written byRosebud95 November 14, 2013

Blurred Lines

This song is catchy, but I sometimes annoyed by it. Plus it's one of those trite "let's hookup songs".... :/
Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2013

Stay Away From The Unrated Version!

I am only talking about the unrated version. NOT. FOR. KIDS. I know for a FACT that not only are the girls TOPLESS, they're also BOTTOMLESS! No, no no NO!
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2013

This is a very sexist song and kids shouldn't be exposed to it.

I'm not happy with Robin Thicke. Miley Cyrus is 20 years younger than him and they twerked at the VMAs. I heard it might happen again. Blurred Lines is not a very good song with vocals sounding like a person about to fall asleep. This song portrays girls in a sexist way, and calls them domesticated animals. They say "Baby, does it hurt?" which refers to you-know-what.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypowerson October 28, 2013

Blurred Lines

A catchy song, powerfully sexual lyrics, and one muffled use of the f-word. Despite that a brilliant song.
Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 October 23, 2013

If you don't like it, don't watch it

I absolutely hate this song. But I don't see why some of you are saying its not for teens, maybe not younger teens but older ones its fine. And the people who are saying that the video is 'unacceptable' why would you watch it if you have such a problem with it?
Teen, 17 years old Written byMaster of skyrim September 21, 2013

to annoying!!!!

this songs ticks me off my mom listens to it all the time and OMG!!!!! its annoying with lyrics like just wanna get lusty is really annoys me
Teen, 16 years old Written byCourtney Elizabeth M August 10, 2013

Blurred Lines

i love it! this is my favorite song!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma80slover August 5, 2013

Great song, explict video

I love this song, but I just made the mistake of watching the unrated version of the video. Talk about ew. Nothing but topless girls dancing around in tiny thongs. Not to mention the bad language. Great song, but I recommend the edited video.