All parent member reviews for "Born This Way" (CD single)

Adult Written byseefoodlover April 20, 2011

No problem here!

After 13, you can make your own decisions as to what you expose yourself to, and find acceptable. This song is fine to have playing in the car if your toddler is going for a drive with you. Wonderful positive message. If the song is playing in the car while your driving, I wouldn't see any sense in changing it. Also a note to other reviewers. The name of this website is "Common Sense Media." Please use some common sense when writing reviews. When your kid gets to middle school and high school, it's a lot harder to "protect" your kids from things like soda, curse words, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, and gay people. But really, why would you want to? Let your teens think for themselves, make their own decisions, and develop their own thoughts as to what they find acceptable, and unacceptable. Instead of restricting them and censoring things in their life, give them guidance in the right direction. Help them to broaden their horizons, and expose them to culture! If they are feeling opinionated about something, encourage them to write a "newspaper article" about it! Ask them the questions they provide on this site! As they go on in life, they will have a vast array of knowledge, examples, and life lessons outside of just, "what mom and dad told me," in the hopes that they can make smart and intelligent decisions for themselves one day. If you have experiences of your own, share them! Tell them crazy stories about your youth! Share exciting stories about Grateful Dead concerts, and waking up in peoples lawns! I know my mom did! And today I'm a well rounded, cultured individual, and I form my own opinions and do what I feel is right, and follow my heart. So what I guess I'm really trying to say, is that your job as a parent, is to use your best judgement, to help your kid use their best judgement in making decisions on what they will do in their life. Anyways.... Most younger kids don't pay attention to the lyrics anyways, just like the way it sounds, and the voice of the singer. Sorry for the lecture. Carry on!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byOrgana March 8, 2011

Not suitable for anyone.

I don't understand why we as parents are still allowing our children to listen to this. Not only is she vulgar in just about every way imaginable, but she has been cited as stating that anorexia is an acceptable thing. Her career should have been shut down as soon as she started dressing in plastic bubbles and making our girls feel like they are fat. :/ shame on her, and shame on us for letting her influence our beautiful girls.
Adult Written bycommonsensegal September 25, 2013

My favorite Gaga song!

I love this song! It's about accepting yourself.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 20, 2012

born this way cd single

Families can talk about the power that popular artists and songs have to influence their listeners. Does this song challenge your assumptions about people who are different than you? Do you think kids are more likely to adopt positive attitudes and behaviors when they're supported by their favorite musicians? Why or why not? What may have motivated Lady Gaga to release a song about accepting yourself at this stage in her career?
Parent Written byKayella Epic June 5, 2012

PERFECTION

Nothin' wrong with it,when my daughter Alia (age 10) want's 2 listen it i listen 2 cuz this song rocks
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 20, 2012

Amazing song!

This song has great rock n roll music! It is also REALLY catchy! I'm not a big Lady Gaga fan but I love this song!
Parent Written byhelper + February 11, 2012

great message for kids - more adults need to learn from the lyrics!

Parent Written byIamaHumanitarian July 8, 2011

Awesome

This song is GREAT! We are all equal (As long as your good)
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 27, 2011

Nice Song

This song is a good message. It teaches about being only you. Still I think you shold be 8 because there are a few lines tots may not understand like about "gay", but it's only played in a loving monnor
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymommyoftwo70 May 15, 2011

very good self esteem song!
Adult Written bybeaniebabys May 14, 2011

music video for born this way

the song is clean but the video shows gaga dancing naked with no cloth on kids shouldf not watch
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants April 24, 2011

Parent of a 13 year old Written bysammysk April 17, 2011

Adult Written byAmaranth April 13, 2011

Song is perfect for anyone, younger children too. :)

Im not a parent. But I absolutely love this song, Not only is it good for my age (25), but its good for teenagers who are self-conscience and have problems fitting in. This song has really spoken to me since it came out. When I was younger I had some problems, I didn't make friends easily and I was always picked on for my huge glasses and how I looked at people (girls and boys) I was called "gay" and many vulgar names. This song has really made me feel better about myself. And I know pre-teens, teenagers, and even adults will get the same message. I definitely recommend this song to anyone. :)
Parent of a 17 year old Written by808Boy March 26, 2011

Its Postive :)

Its about loving yourself, no matter what anyone say to you cause God made you that way for a reason
Parent of a 14 year old Written byBryantArkansasRiver March 21, 2011

Gay anthem filled with cliches and blatant theft of lyrics and music from several '80s songs

This woman has annoyed me ever since "Poker Face" erupted in my ears. Now she is just plain bad. This song invokes narcissism in God's name (We all have our views on homosexuality, but the lyrics in the face of Gaga's claimed Catholic faith quite simply makes this song blasphemous on that account as well as on that of narcissism.) Again, she rips off several lyrics from Madonna and other '80s artists. She even throws in some possibly racist slurs by referencing "cholas" (a derogatory slur for Latina women of mixed ancestry) and "orient" (a somewhat antiquated slur for Asians).
Parent Written byKonichiwa March 13, 2011

Great song, great message

I think it sends a really great message for kids and even adults. Just to be youself kind of.
Adult Written byjavababy March 7, 2011

Questionable Music Video Images and Themes Mean 13+

Lady Gaga is not a role model I would suggest for young teens and tweens. While her latest single is much tamer in lyrics than her previous one, it does raise a lot of issues about sexuality. If your child is not ready to tackle those issues, this might be a better one to skip. Also please note-> *** The music video for this song is very provocative. Explicit images of Lady Gaga giving birth and imagery of a vagina are frequently present. She is also clad in a very skimpy bra and panties outfit dancing with shirtless men (sometimes in questionable positions showing off her private area). Please view this video before letting your child watch it as some of the images may be disturbing or confusing to young viewers***
Parent of a 5 year old Written byjsilva12 March 6, 2011

IT'S ABOUT SELF ACCEPTANCE! The fact that the reviewers even considered that saying "gay, straight, or bi, let's lead a transgender life" even as the smallest problem is very close minded. She's saying it's o.k. if you're gay, bi, anything!
Adult Written byphoenix101294 February 28, 2011

I love it. Perfect for the children who feel bullied or outcasted.... It i sgreat mode roles and have many positive messages