All member reviews for Born to Die

Teen, 14 years old Written bywhimsicalreviewer June 28, 2012

Intriguing, solemn, hypnotic-- and surprisingly distinguished!

Del Rey has been lauded by some audiences and bashed by others. Regardless of the reception she has received, her rhythmic beats, dark, sillky voice, glamorous yet mature image (for which she has been likened to old singers such as Nancy Sinatra), and raw, melancholic lyrics are hard to resist. Personally, the first time I hard her music, I was hardly moved. I could see bits and pieces reflected from other artists, bleak melodies, and quite simply, I found it to be dull. But over time, as I stumbled upon her music and gave it another chance, I discovered that those aspects of her songs, are JUST what make her Lana Del Rey. Her somber, trance-like voice did grow on me, and once I deciphered the lyrics and let the eclectic tunes run through my head, I was hooked. Each time I listened to her songs, I found a different thing to praise--almost as if I was going treasure hunting and unearthed a new gem with every listen. Think of each of her songs like glass sculptures--beautifully crafted and delicate, yet simple, unique and quirky. Her songs are flooded with orchestral elements, such as harps and violins (which is similar to that of Florence + Machine), along with splashes of hip-hop, western-style twangs, light, stomping beats and a gorgeous voice range, which can scale from low and sultry to high and sweet. Some verses are so wrought with emotion that you can almost feel tremors through Del Rey's quaking voice. All in all, it is a fantastic album that manages to set itself aside from typical indie. It might seem too monotones and bland to some, and there are certainly flaws to be noted, but once you're immersed in the music, you can't help but be enchanted and in awe. This album is perfectly fine for an audience of 13 and older, even serving as appropriate for slightly younger age groups (11-12). The mild obscenities in Born To Die are so soft and subtle, they are practically undetectable; the few sexual, drug/drinking references and language are, for the most part, harmless, especially if your child is in middle school, when they are usually exposed to harsher forms vulgarity (take this from the experience of a recent middle school graduate.) The messages might be confusing for some who aren't mature/observant enough to pick up on the cynicism and irony in Del Rey's music, but for those who do, they should know that these messages are primarily cautionary and/or are referencing different struggles and ideals in life that they will and should know of.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySparkleJumpRope June 11, 2012

It's REY not RAY.

First of all, the F word isn't mentioned in any songs whatsoever. There's also only 15 songs on the DELUXE edition, on the ordinary one you'll find in stores it's just 12. Anyway, Lana Del REY herself is a positive role model, she's sweet down to earth and has learned from the mistakes she's made. This album isn't only about heartbreak and the opener 'Born to Die' has an important message which is live and have fun because you never know when you'll die. I can't really imagine any youngsters requesting this CD as they would probably find it 'boring' and I doubt many teenagers will like it anyway since she's not a sell out. I'm a big Lana fan so maybe this is bias but it's a really good album and certainly worth at least a listen. My favourite tracks are 'Off to the Races', 'National Anthem', 'Diet Mountain Dew' and 'Lolita'(which is on the DELUXE).
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2012

Positive Role modle

I think that her music is exceptional. I bought her album because I am a big fan. When I heard her songs, there where some stuff not for younger kids. I think she is a postive role model because she is so sweet and down-to-earth. I would recommend it to an older audince. Most kids don't know her, so they tend to go to more pop. She is an amazing singer and I hope she becomes known for her music.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightGaga08 August 22, 2012

Loved It - The Coney Island Queen Never Disappoints.

Lana Del Rey's debut album (under this current stage name, of course) isn't something to miss. Every song is beautiful and special in its own way. Content-wise, though, it's not for kids - at all. Her songs talk about bad relationships and being under the influence. However, Lana's song tell stories. Lana Del Rey is a great artist.
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2012

Lana De Rey

I'm 11 years old, and I love this album! Some songs mention drinking, drugs and smoking, some mention kissing and sex. The worst of the language is 'f**k'. I recommend "The Paradise Edition" as it comes with 8 extra songs but "Gods and Monsters" says 'f**k' at least 6 times.
Kid, 11 years old October 21, 2012

It depends on.......

It should only depend on the parents rules like: if you cant listen to cussing,etc... Music is just like expressing your feelings, I just think people take things too seriously...
Teen, 13 years old Written byFlombt November 18, 2012

A PG~13 album, made for more mature tastes.

What parents should know, is that Lana mentions drugs a fair amount. "Let's go get high." "Loves me with every inch of his cocaine heart." yep, there are some drugs. Also, she does swear occasionally, the really only thing in that respect is that she uses the f word in the chorus of "Radio", if you are uncomfortable with that, then make the song off limits. But, she has some lessons. She teaches the pains of what it is like to be in a bad relationship situation, and tells these stories in a warning style. She shows a more raw side of love which isn't really showed to teens these days. I think that is really valuable
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Euphoric User January 29, 2013

My Heroine: Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey (CSM y u so schtupid???) probably is my most favorite singer ever. I have the Born to Die Paradise Edition in iTunes and I love listening to Lana's enchanting voice and dark-themed songs so much.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhappyginger May 10, 2013

Fresh in Today's Music World

Adore this album. Lana Del Rey is beautiful and incredibly talented. Her voice is like a trance, and lyrics engaging.
Kid, 12 years old September 14, 2013

Lana Del Rey

I personally love this CD. Most content goes over kids head yall! Anyway music is for expression so I love it. Im so sick of audiotuning I love this CD. Also makes for great dance practice songs.
Teen, 15 years old Written byluv2shop2112 July 30, 2013

Older Teens Only

I love this album. Yet I wouldn't recommend it for most teens. It is very mature and has a lot of drinking references. The language in a couple of songs in not appropriate. Other than that it's amazing. I love it
Kid, 11 years old April 7, 2014

Amazing, But Some Iffy Messeges

Lana Del Rey is my favorite artist, but you may want to listen to the songs first. There's some very occasional language in a few of the songs, but every kid knows that anyways. Some mentions of brand names and "getting high" or drunk. Suggestions of sex like "dancing and grinding in the pale moonlight", things like that. I am 11, and I think that this is fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDirectioner101 February 18, 2014

Good, But Language, Sex, And Drugs

This is a talented singer, but her albums both have the explicit label on it. Drug content includes "getting high" and "overdosing". Language includes "love you more than those b****** before" in Blue Jeans, and "like a f***** dream I'm living in" in Radio. In Video Games, she talks about taking her dress off for a boy. Overall, I think it's okay as long as those songs are not listened to. The other songs are amazing, and those songs are too as long as the bad things can be ignored.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTrustMeI'mTheDoctor December 8, 2013

Born to Die is not for young kids

Amazing album, but has depressing themes and lots of drug references.
Teen, 14 years old Written by092898 July 11, 2013

love Lana

Lana's music is like wine- sometimes you have to get used to it before you can enjoy it. I didn't like her music at first, but now I love it. She swears a few times, and uses occasional euphemisms for sex. She also talks about drinking ("open up a beer," "drinking cherry schnapps in the velvet night," etc.) Her songs tell stories, and she's a role model for many people. (by the way, it's Lana Del Rey, not Lana Del Ray.)