All member reviews for "Boyfriend" (CD Single)

JB keeps it sweet and clean with smooth rap and vocals.

Parent of a 5, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bypluggedinparent April 5, 2012

too sensual for my kids

ustin Bieber is growing up. And though some fans might long for him to remain their beloved cute-and-cuddly teen idol forever, the now 18-year-old singer seems determined to add another adjective to the list of words often used to describe him: seductive. It's not that the lyrics to his latest hit, "Boyfriend," are slanted toward the sexual. Indeed, just looking at them on paper, they're all but innocuous: "If I was your boyfriend," Bieber begins, "I'd never let you go/I can take you places you ain't never been before." Nothing too problematic there, nor, really, in the rest of the song, as we'll see momentarily. No, what's changed isn't so much the message Bieber delivers as the way he delivers it. Instead of launching his latest hit with his trademark high tenor, Justin swaggers into this song with a low, whispered rap that signals the arrival of a decidedly more grown-up sounding Bieber 3.0. It's not quite Barry White, but Bieber's husky delivery of lyrics like "Chillin' by the fire while we eatin' fondue" makes that otherwise innocent activity feel ever so slightly … dangerous. The chorus finds Bieber back in familiar sonic territory, earnestly emoting his intentions to be the best boyfriend ever as he exploits the upper register that made him famous: "If I was your boyfriend, never let you go/Keep you on my arm, girl, you'd never be alone/I can be a gentlemen, anything you want/If I was your boyfriend, I'd never let you go." And then its back to that raspy rap business: "Tell me what you like, yeah, tell me what you don't/I could be your Buzz Lightyear, fly across the globe." I think it's safe to say that Barry White never named-checked an animated action figure toy while wooing the ladies. Bieber, however, is still young enough to pull it off with a straight face. Neither is there any winking involved when he appropriates that time-honored hip-hop tradition of tossing cash around to impress a lady. "I got money in my hands that I'd really like to blow," he brags, "Swag, swag, swag on you." The song leaves little doubt that Justin Bieber is taking the next step in his career, walking down a trail so many teen heartthrobs of yesteryear—Usher, Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown all come to mind—have already blazed. Thankfully, content-wise, Bieber's latest offering is more lyrically restrained than anything those singers were producing at a similar point in their careers. As for the smoldering, sensual undercurrent? That may be a boyfriend of a different intention.
Adult Written byBirthdayCake22 April 9, 2012

Nasty

Where are the good clean christian values and morals for tweens? You shouldn't be dating until you're at least 24 years of age in this economy. BLAAH!!!!
Adult Written byTony632 April 4, 2012

if i was your'e boyfriend, you'd never be alone

Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2012

Swaggie?

I suppose it's a good song for kids who love Justin Bieber but honestly, I don't see a reason why he would put in words "swag" and "swaggie" unless he's trying to become "cool", or even "bad". And I don't know why he went from bubblegum pop to mumble-rap. It's an okay song, just the change is unsettling and the lyrics are kind of off.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2012

More Mature for Justin

Definitely not Baby but Justin is slowly transitioning to more mature music even though the song is not inappropriate. Tokyo Motel mets Sel Gomez. With great vocals and a cool rap solo. Definitely tells you how to treat a lady which is good.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2012

Great song from great singer

I adore Justin Bieber! His new single sounds more mature and grown up. He sounds much better than before. When he sings, "Girlfriend, girlfriend, you can be my girlfriend till the ------------- world ends.'' sounds not aproprette for fans 6 and under. But I know what he's really saying. The song itself is great but maybe sound wierd to little kids 6 and under and some fans that are use to the old Justin. But I like the new Justin better. Some fans got to get use to his change.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYoshipie May 6, 2012

Definitely more mature, but parents should be careful

"Boyfriend" provides a more mature sound. JB has definitely evolved much since "Baby". However, I would say that this song wouldn't be suitable for younger audiences (I.e. 12 and under). The lyrics explore some sexual content, which may alarm some parents. Although the song itself doesn't contain heavy sexual-content, the music video for "Boyfriend" is definitely a video that parents wouldn't want to see their children watching. It is absolutely horrendous. The whole video is basically Bieber dancing and touching other girls, who are wearing extremely revealing clothes. So basically, bottom line is: letting your kids listen to this song is okay, but be concerned of its light sexual content. Also, beware if your children are watching the video, maybe wait for a few more years until your kids turn 15 or older.
Kid, 12 years old April 7, 2012

Boyfriend 101

Boyfriend is a great song for kids 6+. It talks about him treating his girlfriend with respect and being a gentleman. Clean and catchy song. My favorite song! :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byRosebud95 April 4, 2012

OK

It's a nice song, but it's just OK.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylizliz16 April 5, 2012

Adult Written byJulia from Sweden July 16, 2012

Its ok but not very inventive

Bieber is stuck in a rut with old-sounding melodies and uninventive lyrics. He walks in every other American boy band cutie's footsteps. His b*lls have finally dropped, though, so he sings better now. Album "Believe" is ok too, but not a future classic.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Teen, 16 years old Written byanders09ma May 27, 2012

Boyfriend :)

JB is back! But I was a little suprises by the rapping though. Lol :)
Kid, 12 years old May 22, 2012

boyfriend!!!! good thing

I think that this song is a great song by Justin Bieber for kids all ages. Even though he talks about being someones boyfriend, he makes it real smooth, and doesn't use any curse words or inapropeiate use of words, that children can enjoy.
Teen, 17 years old Written byWREN345 July 1, 2012

Noooooooooo

Terrible disgrace to the world of music of course any JB fan will love to normal people its just anoying
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2012

Positive Song

Boyfriend definitely has a more mature sound than much of Justin's previous music, but the song is still clean and is about treating a girlfriend right.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxi love cod June 10, 2012

Love boyfriend

here's my review, JB has envolved from a moron to a great smooth clean rap so hear it Now
Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2012

Holy crap.

This song is all sexual, as in the song he mutters rap so you don't hear what's he's saying. He's talking about having sex, laying in the bed. In the music video, he's touching the girl's stomach and breast. This song is too sensual! Bieber takes it too far.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFabulousMe May 29, 2012

There are two ways to take this song.

Technically there's nothing wrong with song. But if you're anything but an innocent 8 year old you're gonna get more out of it. The whispering is just a little too much. Now I'm not saying I don't listen to it, or watch the video, but I just gotta warn you, there are two ways you can take this song. And they are very, VERY, different.
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2012

Nothing more than skinny girls washing cars in summer-wear.

All I can say is, I personally dislike Bieber's music, and I think most parents nowdays would, too, as most grew up in the 80's, which means they probably have a completely different taste in music than this cheap teen pop. In musical terms, it's very lacking, no real message, the whole song is poorly set up, maybe a few chords played on the guitar in the chorus, but to me it's pure junk.