Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for City of Evil

Amazing guitar, troubling lyrics. For mature teens.

Adult Written byJoe J. March 10, 2017

One of the best modern metal albums. My favorite A7X album. Every song is awesome.

Adult Written bythetrueparentreview January 30, 2017

Come on

Sorry but listening to this is better than listening to mainstream music. Mainstream music is one of the most degrading and rotting types of music ever. Mainstream lyrics are all about drugs and having sex. Metal and rock give the chance for you to express problems within society and question the outside world. I grew up on metal and rock music and i am a very intellectual person and I plan to do the same with my kids. Parents ignore common sense media they over rate everything.

Adult Written byGarrison_White November 29, 2013

Not as bad as the CSM review makes it out to be...

Is there swearing? Yes, but it is isolated to three of the eleven songs ("Burn It Down", "Blinded In Chains", and "Thrashed and Scattered"). Let's be honest, kids these days are exposed to a lot more uses of four-letter words at school and around the neighborhood then they would on this album. Parents can use discretion based on the maturity of their child, but I personally think it probably isn't appropriate for kids under 13. The sex references are actually pretty mild, with the worst line being "women ravaged", although that would have gone right over my head when I was a kid. There are illusions to suicide, but most of them take place in "Bat Country", which is based on the book "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas". There are some positive messages in "Seize the Day" and maybe even "Beast and the Harlot" and "Blinded In Chains". If your kid likes this kind of music and you think they are mature enough to handle the language then that's up to you. Bottom line, this album is amazing and has some of the most incredible guitar solos of all time. It's definitely worth listening to.

Adult Written bysonicd November 6, 2011

love it

not as good as "Sounding the seventh trumpet' but still good
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byredpookydog December 11, 2009
Anything with anger and violence is bad, especially suicide.

Parent Written byPlague December 4, 2009

City of Evil

Good album. I wouldnt say its amazing, but its really good. I would recommend this album/band for children 13+.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bydido6661 August 6, 2009

BEST EVER

this album has positive messages like seize the day, or bring our troops home. i see nothing wrong with this band. they get alot of their song ideas from religios stories. the name itself is from the bible.

Adult Written byBrenny March 14, 2009

Intense, dark, but very good guitar and drumming

This is music that seems a bit dark. Yes, there is quite a bit of violence. There is one song that contains nudity, "Beast and the Harlot". There is quite a bit of swearing, too. Do not buy this album if you do not like hearing the f-word. They say it several times in "Trashed and Scattered". Overall, I like this album, it has some Guns N' Roses feel to it. This was what Avenged Sevenfold was inspired by.
Adult Written byAdam Razak December 27, 2008

One of the Best Albums of All Time

Just a perfect album.
Adult Written byMaGGoT4LIFE April 9, 2008

wow

WOW THIS CD ROCKS!! A7F RULES!! BUT SLIPKNOT RULEZ THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byzakatcha423 April 9, 2008

Amazing Singing with Guitar Work

Not as extreme or as violent as past cd's but the amazing guitar work is unequaled. Dualing Guitars, amazing solo's, and astonishing guitar melodys make this CD and Band an amazing addition to any CD collection.