Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Decemberunderground

Teenage angst set to a rock beat.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byafiforever13 February 3, 2011

What what is this I don't even about 15+ as "iffy"

I don't understand why you say that the drug references are bad in this album, Davey Havok (because that is his real STAGE NAME) is straight-edge, that means total absence from drugs or alcohol, so any drug references will give a message of "DON'T DO IT" also, he never did any drugs so how can he write about a song that he can never relate to? And of course they care about this stuff, or the wouldn't writing about it. They "pull it off" because they used to be punk, punk music is very lively and fulled with energy, with that in mind, there's no doubt that they'll keep the liveliness with them. In many interveiws, AFI have said that some fans approch them and say that listening to their music has saved their LIVES! Many of them became straight-edge too. So if your children listen to this type of music but from band that aren't so great, show them AFI.

Parent of a 12 year old Written by301TheAmazingSo... April 3, 2011

Great alternative/punk music.

I've been a fan of AFI, since their first album came out, and this was no dissapointment. All the suicide/drug references are with a poetic license. Wonderful music that some kids can relate to.
Adult Written byehmalee April 9, 2008

Quality music that offers alternatives to the status quo

No doubt Decemberunderground is full of intensity and philosophically charged lyrics backed by masterfully orchestrated music that blends two decades of musical influences from punk to industrial to pop to hardcore. The undeniably dark aspects of the album may be too much for younger listeners but older children and adults will likely find beauty in the darkness of the intensely poetic lyrics. However, I would like to contest previous reviews that claim the album is full of "angst-and-drug-filled life-changing moments." To be clear, the only explicit reference to drugs comes in the song "Kill Caustic"... the lyric is as follows: "Your designer drug won't work for me." This arguably positive message about drugs aside, the album lacks drug-induced influence. I feel this important to emphasize as the members of AFI publicly adhere to a "straight edge" lifestyle that thoroughly rejects the use of drugs and alcohol. If anything, AFI may serve as a positive role model for kids. They prove that you may be creative, successful, and rebellious without the use drugs.
Adult Written byChris McCorkle April 9, 2008

From a conservative yet equally open-minded 19 year old...

AFI has been a big favorite of mine for a while. What is the #1 thing about the group that kept me listening? SOUND. Kids love sound. Teenagers love sound. How many times have you heard, "I only listen to it for the music!" only to shake your head and swear up and down that the child/teen really gets a drive out of the words? Listen to me on this one: nothing has changed with AFI's Decemberunderground. I popped the CD into my store's DVD player while closing one night and immediately liked the first track. I had no clue what he was talking about, but I loved the catchy electro-pop sounds. Soon, the ominous (remeniscent of the 1970s The Omen theme) chorus began singing their hook and I knew then and there that this was still my good ol' goth-punk band. And that's exactly it. I "itemized" the band, acknowledging their sound and fuzzy message and leaving it at that. AFI is continuing their goth-punk-electro sound with this record, but pushing it slightly and vaguely into the realm of 1980s noir, goth, and suspense. At the same time, they seem to experiment in "hardcore" vocals and screaming, but ultimately stay true to a clean cut sound. And that's exactly it. Sound. The only thing I can find objectionable are the track names. They are as follows: 1. Prelude 12/21 2. Kill Caustic * 3. Miss Murder * 4. Summer Shudder 5. The Interview 6. Love Like Winter 7. Affliction 8. The Missing Frame 9. Kiss And Control 10. The Killing Lights 11. 37 MM * 12. Endlessly, She Said I have marked an asterisk next to the iffy track names. Here is what Davey Havok (lead singer) has to say about the album: "DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world." I ultimately believe that this record is: HARMLESS. I wouldn't expect anyone under 13 to find the music amusing.
Adult Written byAnthony Prov December 10, 2018

Decemberunderground

Decemberunderground is an album that's concerned with themes of isolation, vanity, fame, obsession, and relationships. Parents should note that it doesn't celebrate or glorify these themes, it merely explores them. It's an AFI release which (from 1998 and onward) means it's punk-flavored, theatrical, and emotionally dramatic. This album in particular leans toward the melancholy side. It's a moody collection of songs and features strong, emotional content. That sad, nostalgic feeling in the air during winter? That's what this feels like. I wouldn't be TOO worried if your kids were listening to this, but you might want to keep an eye on them. The album definitely invites you to indulge in these feelings, and that might not be the best thing for a teenager; then again, it might be just what they need. Just make sure they don't dwell there.
Adult Written bylillowjo_6977 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDawgas April 9, 2008

This is total, pure crap.

I mean seriously, why even buy this, its awful, and if your children want you to procure this for them, tell them no, and that they have no taste in music.
Adult Written bysuicidalgurl666 April 9, 2008

Very Good

AFI is a great band, and they write great music, heck they make grweat music. Although this wasn't their best CD it was really good. By making this CD AFI took a very big risk, they could lose a lot of fans but they could make a lot more fans. All I'm saying is that if you are a true AFI fan you won't let this CD affect how you think of them. I personally liked it, but it's not my favorite by them.