All member reviews for Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City

Poignant hip-hop is profound and inspirational but graphic.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander March 14, 2014

Don't Confuse this for Another Generic (c)rap Album

For some background, I honestly hate rap. I am usually critical of most rap albums today seeming to revolve around boasting, money, misogyny, drugs, and the like. Lamar's Good Kid, Maad City is a poetic deviation from this tired trend of trash. On the surface, these songs can seem pretty racy, but with deeper analysis you will notice this album has many themes about peer-pressure, the sins of drinking, and violence surrounding one's world. As the title of the album describes, Good kid, Maad city is a narrative about a teen who means well but is struggling to cope with the dark city in which he lives in. Any unsuitable content like language, sexual references, and violence are used appropriately to convey his themes and to give the listener an understanding of the environment that encompasses him. Racial slang and references to violence are just a norm in Kendrick's cultural background of Compton. He doesn't condone it at all, infact he detests sins like violence, substance abuse, and obsessions with money in songs such as "The Art of Peer Pressure", "Swimming Pools", "Money Trees", and "Sing to me, I'm Dying of thirst" (look up the lyrics to see what I mean). That being said, there are quite a few moments of explicit (although never uncomfortable) content. Younger kids would not understand how it ties into Lamar's message, so I believe CSM has the correct age recommendation. I recommend listening to the whole because like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", the album tells a story that must be listened to from start to finish. Anyone in High school who wants to listen for it's artistic value ought to be fine. (By the way, Kendrick Lamar was noted for being a Straight-A student in High School with no criminal history. His refusal to give in to the sinful world that surrounds makes him a great role model and makes the album even more empowering for those in tough situations.)
Written byAnonymous February 22, 2014

Not for Kids & Should also not be for teens 21+ CD.

OK Kendrick Lamar is Bad Role Model and even the Message is not good. He put Gun Violence in his Music. Not good at all. His Sexual Message could be bad too. But he's a rapper right. They shouldn't listen too him. Language has the Offensive N-Words in his music. No, No, No stay away. ...and he also has the a load of F-Words in it. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking that he don't stay away from Alcohol which is in this song Swimming Pools (Drank). In the Beginning is a drunkly sound which is not at all good for any kids and/ or teens. This music is very bad. No kids shouldn't listen to his songs.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbright February 9, 2014

A Hip Hop Classic

By this album, Kendrick Lamar has proven to the world that he is the most skilled lyricist/MC there is out there. Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City isn't your ordinary hip hop album. It tells a story, and is played out like as a film. Every song immerses you into the scenario that Kendrick is in. You can imagine every detail, everything that he is painfully experiencing in this album. This is because of the combo of his rapping voice and masterful production. The beats are phenomenal. The beats fit the lyrics perfectly, and sucks you in the action. Kendrick's lyrics are top notch, and his flow is flawless. The skits are surprisingly emotional and sometimes funny. Now, back to Kendrick's lyrics. His lyrics connect with you, expressing relatable world problems, for example, peer pressure. In The Art of Peer Pressure, he's hanging out with his homies, and he's doing all this messed up stuff, but he's only doing it because he's with his homies. Inside him he doesn't wanna do this. He is a good kid inside. Kendrick emphasizes this in the song. Now, I won't list any standout tracks or anything, because that will just make you listen to the songs that I listed. No. Doesn't work like that. You have to listen to the album as a whole. That is how the artist intended you to hear it. Don't listen to the singles by itself, just listen to the album as a whole. You will not regret it. Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City is a classic that will never be forgotten by the hip hop community. *PARENTAL REVIEW NOW BEGINS* This album is a hip hop album, so of course this will have loads of language in it, including many uses of the f word and n word. But Kendrick is a good role model, only if you don't listen to Backseat Freestyle, one of the catchiest songs on the album. However, in Backseat Freestyle, his character is performing for his homies to impress him. This is not who he is right now. This is expressing what he was when he was a teenager. Other than this, Kendrick is a good role model. There are also many Christian influences, which is always a good sign. I'm a Christian so I was very impressed with the prayers. They can pray better than me haha. (No disrespect towards other religions) Anyways, there is some gang violence in here, like shootouts. Kendrick gets beat up by two of Sherane's cousins. Also, the beat in the Sherane song is pretty haunting, and appears again in the end of Poetic Justice. This album is somewhat sexual. Kendrick is a normal horny teenager in the Sherane song, and he's imagining having s x with Sherane while on the way to her house. There are sexual lyrics scattered through the album, but nothing surprising coming from a hip hop album. Drinking is present in the single Swimming Pools (Drank). This song is not glorifying alcohol, but it leaves the decision to you if you wanna drink or not. I say 15 and up because they need to experience this album because it is such a masterpiece. Kendrick has hit a home run on this one.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Deep. yes, there is swears but it just makes it more powerful. And shows people what poverty is like.

i like this album because it is basicly about the artist has gone through as a child and that tells people that we should try and put a stop to gang violence and violence and i think most people don't like this album because of the cuss words but the reason i think the artist is using those words is because he is showing his anger about what has happened in his life
Adult Written bygrizmaster1981 February 2, 2014

If you were to allow your kids to buy ONE Parental Advisory CD.

Should this be another explicit CD you should break down and allow your kids to buy? I'll have to give this a listen. Maybe do a duel versus Chingy and other hip-hop that is rated "don't Bother". parents can discuss how some hip hop is excellent while other albums are rated as pass.