Kid reviews for Hail to the Thief

Intense songs for teens to ponder; not for kids.

Beautiful

This is a wonderful and beautiful album. and it saddens me that not many people really appreciate Radiohead.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBeatlemaniac March 26, 2021

Great album with heavy politics and themes

Hail to the Thief is an amazing album. Not many typical "depressed Radiohead" songs on this one, but the themes are more violent and vulgar on this record. Two songs contain the f-word, those being Myxomatosis and Wolf at the Door. Myxomatosis also contains talk of disease and violence, and We Suck Young Blood talks about... well- blood. Great songs but is definitely for teens and up to understand the messages in it.

Kid, 11 years old September 23, 2019

All inappropriate content is hidden in the lyrics.

I first heard this album when I was ten, great album but songs like Myxomatosis and A Wolf At The Door use the word, F——. There are some scary, violent and threatening lyrics on songs like Where I End and You Begin such as “I will eat you alive.” but most of the lyrics that may scare little kids will probably go over their heads. Recommended listen.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCooltiger37 August 6, 2019

Not the band's best, but extremely underrated

Arguably the band's darkest album, "Hail to the Thief" contains enough explicit profanity (a few uses of "f--k" towards the end) and violence (see the brutal last track, "A Wolf at the Door") for it to be pretty much completely off-limits for kids, though teens who can handle the dark subject matter will most likely find much to like about this complex, moody release. I personally don't love it from start to finish as much of some of the band's best albums (see "OK Computer" for a truly fantastic wall-to-wall classic), but still enjoy its best moments ("2+2=5", "Sit Down, Stand Up", and "There, There" being just a few of them) enough for me to highly recommend it to 'Head fans or anyone else bored with today's generic, lifeless pop music.

Teen, 15 years old Written by123Daniel456 June 27, 2014

If you understand it, you won't be offended by it

One other review warns of sexual themes and etc, but other than a few metaphorical lyrics there isn't much of that at all. The album was not 'politically motivated' but includes messages involving George Orwell's 1984, politician's involvement in the Iraq war, or surveillance and modern propaganda in the media. If the listener is mature enough to understand these themes properly, then he/she should not be bothered by the occasionally dark lyrics.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogMediaLover June 20, 2014

Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2008

Okay I guess

It's Okay I guess. I'd give it about 3/5 stars. Definently not Radiohead's best. Does not have any references to drugs, the word hell is used several times, the word piss is used once, and the f word is used three times. Only about one or two sexual references. Most songs contain violent behavior. The music may not be suitable for anyone under 12 because of Offensive Language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFlip-flop April 9, 2008

A great album

This is one of my favorite Radiohead albums up against Ok Computer and The Bends. I'm sure that kids my age would like it, but when I ask them, they say "Radiowhat?" Some people may not know this, but the title "Hail to the Thief" refers to George Bush (as Thom York, the lead singer, is very anti-Bush) and the song 2+2=5 refers to "Fuzzy Math." Sorry, I got off-topic. The swearing is kept to a minium and I have heard the f-bomb only twice (in "Wolf at the Door.)
I enjoyed this album very much, and I especially liked the creepy mood that the band creates. It's much softer and less natural then their previous albums, and I highly recomend it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byidioteque April 9, 2008