All member reviews for Hairspray Soundtrack

Positive messages that'll get you movin'.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKatherington January 4, 2015

This is great, Hon!

This is a great soundtrack! I love how it embraces a fun, lively spirit. Yes there is a "damn" and a reference to a bum at the bar. But this is great. The meaning is uplifting and the message is sincere. It spreads a positive light on Baltimore. The message of being yourself in this is embraced throughout the (actual) city, Hon.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

hairspray soundtrack

Families can talk about the important issues raised by this movie. Do you think racism still exists in your community? Is it harder for heavier kids to be popular at school? How can kids be more accepting of others -- especially if they're different? Families can also talk about the lyrics and instrumentation of songs written for musicals. What makes them sound different from the songs you hear on Top 40 radio? Try taking your favorite pop song and imagine how it would sound if it were in a musical.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015

loved it!

i absolutely LOVED this soundtrack by far my favorite and alot of my friends like the sound track two and my little sister!!!!
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox June 30, 2011

Good

Sex- (off)- In "Good Morning Baltiomor", there is a line that says- "There's the flasher who lives next door". In "The Legend of Mrs. Baltimor Crabs", it says, "I screwed the judges." In I can hear the bells it says some sugestive stuff such as- "Link and I are french kissing", "My tempiture is climbing", and "He touched me and love put me in a fix,"....In the next song 'Big Blonde and Beautiful Reprise", it says one line- "Get your hands on something small", and the last song 'Mamma I'm a Big Girl Now' it says "If I get a hicky don't have a cow". That is ti for sexual content. NEXT! Violence (On): There is no violence. NONE AT ALL! YAY! Swearing (Pause)- It says D*mn one time. ANd lastly- MESSAGES (Pause) There is some sexual romance mesages, but it's also about true love and imigration. AND Next................. Roll Model (On)- Nikki fights until she wins.
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2010

I just went to Baltimore (that's my image, down town Baltimore;)) and thats where the movie took place! I love the movie, but I didn't like the song about the new girl in town.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPookies Mom July 9, 2010

Fantastic - but there is a swear word in one of the songs....

Love it! Just one warning -- there is a swear word in the lyrics of "You Can't Stop The Beat"....
Kid, 9 years old February 22, 2010

i

The songs are very catchy and by far my favorite songs ever! they are positive and fun and they all are just great! i<3 hairspray!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old April 2, 2009

Really Good

I liked it a lot! It shows how we have progressed and I am proud. It shows how we have learned and it is a really good movie. Really good for sleep overs!!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion March 6, 2009

Wow! Infectious and Positive!

This is the kind of music I want my kids to listen to. Positive messages are intermixed with toe-tapping tunes and wonderful voice talents. There are two "d**n"s, and some very mild innuendos "test drive this American male" and "won't go all the way, but I'll go pretty far". They are quick and kids won't pick up on them; they're not nearly as bad as some make them out to be.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviecritic April 9, 2008

YOU'LL LOVE IT!

JUST GO GET THIS THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE IT JUST ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byforgetregret93 April 9, 2008

Almost as good as the OBC

I love the original 1988 and Broadway musical Hairspray, and I am so happy that this album lives up to the Original Broadway Cast Recording. Nikki Blonsky's vocals are amazing, especially on Good Morning, Baltimore. Amanda Bynes and Zac Efron surprised me with great, but not excellent, voices. Elijah Kelley is my favorite singer out of the cast. His Run and Tell That really rocks. The adult cast does wonderfully, but the younger cast really stood out to me. These songs are sure to get you moving, and put you in a good mood. "Come So Far (Got So Far To Go)" is my favorite on the soundtrack, along with "Without Love," "You Can't Stop the Beat," and "I Can Hear the Bells." This album is a must-have if you love musicals or outstanding music.

Better than the musical!

I love this album! Everything is pretty much up beat and fun! A great soundtrack for a great slumber party! Be sure that you can pick up the album because it was totally worth it!
Adult Written byjamieball April 9, 2008

I THINK 9+

SHOULD SEE IT
Teen, 15 years old Written bymel62392 April 9, 2008

This is a great soundtrack!

When i saw the movie I was a little iffy about it but it turned out to be a great movie. Once I bought the cd I could not and still cant listening to it. Its a great movie and a great sound track.
Adult Written bypet_lover April 9, 2008

JUST AS GOOD AS THE MOVIE

THIS CD IS SO GOOD THAT I ALMOST WORE IT OUT. IT HAS THE WORD d*mn IN IT ONCE AND SEVERAL REFRANCES TO AFRICAN AMERICANS AND OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE SUCH AS NEG*O. BUT IT DEFINANTLY SENDS THE MESSAGE OF BEING YOURSELF OUT TO ALL
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Great beat and inspiring lyrics

Parents need to know that there is a lot of sexual innuendo here. The songs "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now" and "Ladies' Choice" in particularly include lyrics like "If I get a hickey/don't have a cow" and "test drive this American male". One d**n, but that's about it for profanity. Great soundtrack!!!
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Hairspray Soundtrack

Sexual Content (Pause): Lots of sexual innuendo, particularly in "Ladies' Choice" and "I Can Hear the Bells". Violence (Not an Issue): None. Language (Pause): One use of damn. Social Behavior (On): Positive messages of acceptance and sticking up for yourself. Racism and obesism are touched upon, but are portrayed in a negative light. Commercialism (Not an Issue): CD packaging unavailable for review. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.