All parent member reviews for Hairspray Soundtrack

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

hairspray soundtrack

Families can talk about the important issues raised by this movie. Do you think racism still exists in your community? Is it harder for heavier kids to be popular at school? How can kids be more accepting of others -- especially if they're different? Families can also talk about the lyrics and instrumentation of songs written for musicals. What makes them sound different from the songs you hear on Top 40 radio? Try taking your favorite pop song and imagine how it would sound if it were in a musical.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox June 30, 2011

Good

Sex- (off)- In "Good Morning Baltiomor", there is a line that says- "There's the flasher who lives next door". In "The Legend of Mrs. Baltimor Crabs", it says, "I screwed the judges." In I can hear the bells it says some sugestive stuff such as- "Link and I are french kissing", "My tempiture is climbing", and "He touched me and love put me in a fix,"....In the next song 'Big Blonde and Beautiful Reprise", it says one line- "Get your hands on something small", and the last song 'Mamma I'm a Big Girl Now' it says "If I get a hicky don't have a cow". That is ti for sexual content. NEXT! Violence (On): There is no violence. NONE AT ALL! YAY! Swearing (Pause)- It says D*mn one time. ANd lastly- MESSAGES (Pause) There is some sexual romance mesages, but it's also about true love and imigration. AND Next................. Roll Model (On)- Nikki fights until she wins.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPookies Mom July 9, 2010

Fantastic - but there is a swear word in one of the songs....

Love it! Just one warning -- there is a swear word in the lyrics of "You Can't Stop The Beat"....
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion March 6, 2009

Wow! Infectious and Positive!

This is the kind of music I want my kids to listen to. Positive messages are intermixed with toe-tapping tunes and wonderful voice talents. There are two "d**n"s, and some very mild innuendos "test drive this American male" and "won't go all the way, but I'll go pretty far". They are quick and kids won't pick up on them; they're not nearly as bad as some make them out to be.
Adult Written byjamieball April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypet_lover April 9, 2008

JUST AS GOOD AS THE MOVIE

THIS CD IS SO GOOD THAT I ALMOST WORE IT OUT. IT HAS THE WORD d*mn IN IT ONCE AND SEVERAL REFRANCES TO AFRICAN AMERICANS AND OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE SUCH AS NEG*O. BUT IT DEFINANTLY SENDS THE MESSAGE OF BEING YOURSELF OUT TO ALL
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Great beat and inspiring lyrics

Parents need to know that there is a lot of sexual innuendo here. The songs "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now" and "Ladies' Choice" in particularly include lyrics like "If I get a hickey/don't have a cow" and "test drive this American male". One d**n, but that's about it for profanity. Great soundtrack!!!
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Hairspray Soundtrack

Sexual Content (Pause): Lots of sexual innuendo, particularly in "Ladies' Choice" and "I Can Hear the Bells". Violence (Not an Issue): None. Language (Pause): One use of damn. Social Behavior (On): Positive messages of acceptance and sticking up for yourself. Racism and obesism are touched upon, but are portrayed in a negative light. Commercialism (Not an Issue): CD packaging unavailable for review. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.