Parent reviews for "Hard Out Here" (CD Single)

Smart satire of pop culture misogyny; some profanity.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byMike M August 22, 2014

Lily Allen takes on pop royalty in ironic song all about female empowerment.

Lily Allen highlights ridiculous double standards and stereotypes, and delivers a positive message which seeks to empower women in "Hard Out Here" with clever verses and an infectious chorus. The music video is controversial at best, with half-naked broads shaking their booties, twerking, grinding on cars, and popping champagne bottles. At the beginning of the video, Lily is seen ready to undergo plastic surgery, singing about the pressure society places on young women to look good. Listen to the lyrics and watch the video carefully, you will grasp the humour and irony behind it. We can safely assume that Lily is targeting other female pop artists such as Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj (one of the backup dancers looks eerily similar to the famous rapper/singer), who are known for their sexual banter and suggestive images. The only swear words present in the song are "bitch," which Lily uses to refer to women ("It's hard out here for a bitch," she sings in the climatic chorus), and the term "slut," which is used once throughout the song in this passage: "If I told you 'bout my sex life, you'd call me a slut." Lily also goes on: "Forget your balls and grow a pair of t*ts." There is a censored version of the song where the word "bitch" is replaced by "chick," however the uncensored version is much more powerful. Lily bluntly lays it all out on the table, singing: "If you're not a size six, then you're not good looking. Well, you better be rich, or be real good at cooking. You should probably lose some weight 'cause we can't see your bones. You should probably fix your face or you'll end up on your own." Towards the end of the song, Lily makes it clear to the listeners that "Inequality promises that it's here to stay. Always trust the injustice 'cause it's not going away."