All member reviews for Icky Thump

Raw and raucous rock for adventurous teens.

Teen, 17 years old Written byyayap April 9, 2008

I love the White Stripes!

If you love The White Stripes then this is perfect...
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2015

i love the white stripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogMediaLover June 21, 2014

The White Stripes end with a bang!

On the dynamic duo's last album, they pull all their tricks- the rambling Dylan-inspired poetry, the explosive guitar riffs, and the use of foreign instruments to add complexity. They also use new tricks, such as political statements, middle-eastern jams, and abstract monologues read by the band's heart and soul; Meg White. It's their best work, save Elephant, and an album everyone should own, meeting stripped down blues with experimental rock. Now for my age review. Positive Messages: It comments on how America has shunned immigrants and on the values of true love. It also sticks up for the minority, shining light on yet another important situation. Positive Role Models: Not bogged down by trying to sell music (mass-appeal pop), and boasting low-production rates, it is really just about the music, showing that even if you're not rich you can start a band. Jack White's beliefs also shine through without openly trying to convert anyone. Violence: Though his delivery packs a punch, the lyrics themselves aren't openly violent. There's a mention to someone being dead, but it's far from graphic. Sex: Unlike Common Sense noted, there is no subtle reference to orgasms; the lyric they showed is meant to be about faking your personality. There is a not so subtle reference to "being the pimp and the prostitute too", as well as a reference to a woman's period. "I got a woman who says come and watch me bleed". Other than that just love not sex. Language: Damn is used twice, hell is used four times. No f-bombs or s-bombs though. Consumerism: If anything Jack White is against consumerism and the system, so I give it negative marks. Substance Consumption: Just waking up drunk on a wagon to Mexico.
Kid, 7 years old March 23, 2012

wstripes

awesome we have the album, but the disc is scratched up
Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 16, 2011

Awesome

The White Stripes are great! The songs are very un-produced, but that's what makes it great. In the title song, "Icky Thump" there is one reference to prostitution. (Well you can't be a pimp and a prostitute, too) Other than that it's a powerful album with great songs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl October 30, 2010

I love the White Stripes.
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2010

Hmm.

Ahem. I LOVE THIS SONG. Yes, the Stripes are very quirkey and awesome. My only concern is, after listening to this song fifty-thousand times, I realize that they do say "Well Americans, What, nothin' better to do? Why don't you kick yourself out, you're an immigrant too. Who's usin' who what should we do..." and then very quietly "Well you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too." If you can get past that, then enjoy the music!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBethStump April 9, 2008

A must-read book for every 8 year old

great album voice got better and it is pretty good
Adult Written byclules_13 April 9, 2008

We love it

We love this album. My 6 year old actually carries it around in his Dora CD player and sings into the microphone. And it's perfect for our family band!!! There are two of them and three of us so there's a job for each family member
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarkscarmeld April 9, 2008

it's not as 'unique' as people claim it is

in this release, the white stripes touch base with a lot of genres without actually innovating anything. shuffle (rag & bone), gospel (i'm slowly turning into you), metal (little cream soda), blues (icky thump), folk (prickly thorn), hard rock (catch hell blues) are displayed, but in reality only show one color of the band; being referential and not unique. the highlights on this album include the warlike 'you don't know what love is', the beatlesque 'effect and cause', and the power ballad 'a martyr for my love for you'. unfortunately, the remainder of the album consists of novelty filler, pointlessness, and odes to queen and led zeppelin. in the end, all the whites stripes have a knack for is simplistic indie-pop and trying to sound like the royal trux, who, a decade before them, were more innovative, passionate, and competent than they could ever dream to be.