All member reviews for In Rainbows

Moody, thought-provoking music best for teens.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMusicSavesLives January 26, 2009

Beautiful Beyond Expression.

Radiohead is a brilliant band, and this album really demonstrates this. This band is just... Breath-taking. The music is beautiful and thought-provoking and it is ORIGINAL. You just can't help but to love it!
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2012

A kid

I may be a kid but music is one of my favorite things ever. This is a great album. Not as good as Kid A, OK Computer, The Bends, or Hail To The Thief in my opinion. A little bit off violance in "15 Step" when Thom Yorke says "you cut the string" witch means you killed me. Great album, i recommend.
Adult Written byMiddleAgedGeek March 21, 2012

Gorgeous classic from the best band in the world right now

Gorgeous, thoughtful, innovative music. Radiohead are a bunch of geeky geniuses, prodigious skills on their instruments and with their songwriting. Very sharp, intelligent lyrics. Pretty songs and beautiful melodies mask strange time signatures and sometimes an improv-jazz feel -- very few of their songs are easy to learn to play. Radiohead tends to be on the cynical side, but it is cynicism mixed with hope. The over-arching theme of their music is to experience the range of human emotions and human experience without losing identity, sense of self, humanity. Many of their songs are very sad, and deeply cynical. The speaker in some of the songs is unhinged with fear, but on other songs, deeply appreciates the small, perfect moments that pepper our lives. On record the band can come off as chilly and mathematical. What is amazing is, the most chilly songs on their record are the most emotional and deep songs live. The band is even better live than on record. These guys are truly geniuses and the band is probably the best band in the world today. The music can be difficult and challenging but consistently rewards adventurous listeners. They have an almost cult like following -- good luck getting concert tickets. Live, they don't interact very much with the audience, forgoing even spotlights on the members, for disambiguated video images of their hands, faces, and other closeups, and abstracted free form computerized doodlings on the video screens, and LED light shows that are "green friendly" and low carbon footprints. The songs almost always transform live, and there are always two or three songs during a concert that will gut the entire audience and leave them in tears. In Rainbows is one of their most listener friendly and immediate records, with lush melodies for the ballads and thrashing fury for the barnstormers. What is freaky scary is how if you alternate the songs from 1997's OK computer with 2008's In Rainbows, and if you do the cross fade just right, you will notice that the two albums are very obviously meant to be played as one piece. The end of a OK Computer song being the lead in to an In Rainbows song. It's pretty jaw dropping and takes Radiohead to an entirely different level. They are scary good at what they do.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySubterranianHom... September 9, 2010

Masterpiece pulls along dark and deep emotion that may overwhelm

I can't understand a four star rating on this album, being that I think its greatness can't even be captured in five. If you like Radiohead, you'll love this album. It is truly a sonic masterpiece. The themes here are incredibly dark- Radiohead captures much harsher, scarier feelings and imagery than Eminem with no profanity and no sexual references. Be prepared that while some songs may fly by quite harmlessly, songs like All I Need and Videotape send chills that you won't find many other places.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoose drinking water March 8, 2010

Simple yet Awesome

This is my favorite Radiohead album.
Adult Written bySen0r_Cardgage March 28, 2010

A 2000s masterpiece, but perhaps a bit negative for younger listeners

A very brooding and engaging album from one of the best bands in existence today. For the most part, it's fine for kids, no swear words (except "hell" in the song Nude). Also some slightly negative imagery in the lyrics, assuming your kids can understand what Thom is saying in the first place.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhobbes007450 July 19, 2009

greeeeeeeeat

one of the most brilliant albums i have ever heard. however, tip for the reviewers: when they are talking about the "most perfect day ever" it is reference to faust (earlier in the albm, there is also song called faust arp)
Teen, 16 years old Written byidioteque April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News May 26, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogMediaLover June 20, 2014

Radiohead: The Beatles Of Our Generation

Radiohead have been pioneers of countless genres and influenced many groups, even with albums as unsophisticated as Pablo Honey. This album is far from an exception, with shiny rock pop, poignant lyrics, and shimmering progressions, for which it is named In Rainbows. There are so many colors. I give it a green 13, only because those who are not teens may not grasp it's cultural and melodic significance, not because of any particularly grotesque content. Videotape is controversial, yes, but it also grapples with important themes. I enjoy and recommend every second of this album. As far as sex, it hardly goes outside of love, and your children must be a little insecure if they can't handle such a benign concept. And, yes, it says hell once. Big deal. Overall, five stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymnsymphony June 11, 2010

One of my favourite albums ever.

Beautiful. Period. One of the best bands of our decade released one of the best albums of our decade. May not be better than Kid A, or OK Computer, but it is still an excellent album. Not in everyone's tastes though, so be warned.