All member reviews for Master of Puppets

Harsh, loud, complex; probably best metal album of all time.

Adult Written byCalpin April 12, 2013

Good thing

I will talk more about metal music in general. Metal music shall not be seen as the big demon to fight against. Metal music will never have a negative influence on a child. This music is full of violence, so we may think that it is something bad. It isn't. It gives power to the persons that understand it, it gives a sense of belonging and it gives the strength to carry on, to go over problems. Kids should avoid norvegian black metal musicians but apart of this, such a music can only be helpful. And master of puppets is pretty good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjalo48 June 10, 2013

The Best Album by Metallica

Personally I love this album I have listened to this album a lot with my family we listen to their other albums with my brothers in the car hey enjoy the loud and fast pumping music but I am not sure they listen to the lyrics anyways for this album i would say 12 and up although any age would work as long as they know what the lyrics mean and not to say the swear or cuss words
Teen, 13 years old Written bycliffburtoncypresshi December 6, 2014

good album

I have been listening to metallica since I was 8. Some of their songs have violence and swearing, but as long as your kids know its just music, I think its fine. posibly the best band ever
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 6, 2012

master of puppets

Families can talk about why heavy metal in general, and Metallica on this album in particular, seem so angry. Do you think the lyrics of "Disposable Heroes" are still timely today? Are you familiar with Metallica's more recent work? Do you like this album better? Parents, if this was one of your favorites in the '80s, how do you explain what you loved about it to your kids?
Teen, 14 years old Written bySmartScout January 15, 2016

One of Metallica's Best Albums

Master of Puppets is a masterpiece of catchy riffs, killer solos, aggressive vocals, and overall one of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time. Damage Inc. has several f - words, and Welcome Home(Sanitarium) Has the d-word, but besides that there is no language. Some songs such as Disposable Heroes, Sanitarium, and Damage Inc. are violent, but along with the entire albums the themes are forces that hold you down and oppress you like drugs, military, asylums, and fake priests, and though some songs have the person go along with this oppression, others are all about resisting it, even with violent, and even if there is no direct resistance in the lyrics of the song, you can tell Hetfield and the rest of the band are all angry about it. This album is a masterpiece of good themes, amazing thrash music, though, due to the swearing I would suggest it for mature 11 year olds or immature 13 year olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAngelina98 May 1, 2014
Teen, 15 years old Written byThis is a scree... May 31, 2013

master of pupptets

what a lot of people dont realize, is that the title track is actually about alcohol addiction/abuse, or really any kind of addiction (but alcohol specifically, given james hetfields history with the stuff). the opening song battery, while being an amazing example of speed metal prowess (as well as having an amazing opening) is about someone with a psychological problem commiting battery on people. the only song on this album that has any swearing in it is damage inc. almost all the songs on the album are about not being in control of ones own life, be it due to addiction, war, insanity, rage and what have you. while its not the greatest speed metal album in existance (that goes to battalions of fear by blind guardian) in my opinion it certainly takes the title for 80s thrash.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheHeroOfDaggerfall August 4, 2016

A Masterpiece

In this review I'm going to break down each song. 1. Battery A song that starts out slow and melodic before breaking down into fast, blinding thrash. The song is about Metallica fans and their crazyness. 2. Master Of Puppets This song explores Cocaine addiction, and has two solos. This is the most popular song on the album. 3. The Thing That Should Not Be Their second homage to HP Lovecraft's Cthulu, this is a slow, heavy, monstrous song. 4. Welcome Home A song about a man in a Sanitarium, a type of insane asylum. Metallica's second ballad. 5. Disposable Heroes A fast, relentless song describing a soldier's experience in battle. 6. Leper Messiah In the 80s, televangelism was becoming very popular. Many televangelists would lie and use donations to make themselves rich. This song criticizes the practice. 7. Orion A heavy instrumental that showcases Cliff's best work. 8. Damage Inc An extreme thrash song. Very intense, loud, and fast.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky0250 July 28, 2016

The Greatest Metal Album Of All Time!

Ah, Metallica. My favourite band they outdid themselves with this one, so much so that not even their self-titled release from 1991 "Metallica", more commonly known as "The Black Album" can top 1986's "Master Of Puppets". Each song was recorded and mastered to perfection. This is a must for anyone who calls themselves a metal fan (along with "Reign In Blood" by Slayer).
Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicLover01 May 7, 2016

Is it OK for your kid?

I think that "Master of Puppets" is honest.y fine for children of any age. There's a little bit of swearing, but I honestly don't think that's a problem. I LOVE Metallica, and their music is really good for beginner fans of metal. They're lighter than a lot of groups, but their music still has meaning. A lot of their music is anti-war (One, Back to the Front, or The Unforgiven), which is really good. The instrumentals are AMAZING, as are the sparse but astounding vocals. This album is truly qualitative music, and I recommend it to any who enjoy this genre of music. Hope this helped!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjwheaton13 October 11, 2015

A time-tested classic (1986)

Widely considered the best metal record of all time, Metallica's "Master of Puppets" is the gold standard when it comes to heavy music. Lyrics feature violence, fear, and social outrage, combined with pounding percussion,powerful palm-muted riffs, and wild solos. The lyrics will concern many a parent, but I would like to point out that the ideas featured are typical of testosterone-fused young men, if not a bit wise for the age group, as the album assails social injustices and explores painful, creative topics. This is music that actually says something, as compared to many modern popular artists, who focus on sex, butts, dances, and other shallow topics that really mean nothing at all. 14+ boys will love this music. I've been listening since age 13 and Metallica is still my favorite bands. As parents i would advise listening to the music yourself, giving it a chance, and as always, keep in mind that some kids are more mature than others. Some at 14 may be mature enough to handle it and some may not.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byACDC5000 April 4, 2015