All member reviews for "My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark (Light Em Up)" (CD Single)

Pop-punk heroes try to rock on clean but uninspiring track.

Age

Parent Written byEla-ine April 13, 2013

Fall Out Boy Is Back

First of all, PETE WENTZ is the LEAD BASS PLAYER. Okay? Okay. Patrick stump is the lead singer of this phenominal and inspiring band. The lyrics "somewhere another pretty vein just died" do not have anything to do with drugs. They are about how some of the fans of fall out boy are struggling with serious problems, and fall out boy is back to help out. This song, and their new album Save Rock And Roll, is extremely inspiring. If you want to lay your incorrect interpretation of music, maybe you should look at all that country music that you think is so holy. All that country music is about today is drinking, and girls. Wow.
Teen, 16 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx February 24, 2013

What's with the hate?

This is one of the reviews I just don't and can't see eye-to-eye with. I mean, it might be because the reviewer and I clearly don't have the same taste in music (I've made my point about Justin Beiber on other reviews and Mr. Jackson gave Beiber four stars for one of his albums.) But clearly the reviewer has never really listened to Fall Out Boy, because he describes their pre-haitus style as "bubblegum." As a listener of almost every album they've put out (I know, call me obsessed, but it's catchy and has punny lyrics, which I'm a sucker for), they started with pop punk, then transitioned to alternative rock, then added a little bit of pop-rock/power-pop. Bubblegum is... Justin Beiber. And, just another thing, Pete Wentz... not the lead singer. The main lyricist, yes, but in terms of instruments, he's the bassist. (Patrick Stump's the main vocalist, so I'm still struggling to figure out if this review's bashing the vocal style, which I love and think is stronger than most Autotuned stuff out there, or the actual lyrics). So, just to keep in mind for people reading this review, clearly fact-checking was not very thorough. Sorry, got on a rant there. I'd just prefer that if you're going to be doing a review, negative or positive (but especially negative), you need to fact-check. To not do so seems unprofessional. Now, as for the song itself, I still don't see where the hate is from. It's catchy, and it does actually have an interesting hair-metal-influenced scream in the chorus. I don't hear that too often in pop music. As for the lyrics, they're not necessarily the most deep I've seen from Fall Out Boy, but there are some interesting lines; I like the imagery of "burn everything you love, then burn the ashes." In terms of stuff for parents to worry about, everything that needs to be known is mentioned in the main review, but I don't think that "another pretty vein just dies" is necessarily a drug reference, it could just mean that the aforementioned writer's creativity stopped flowing, which again: interesting imagery. Bottom line: normally I love this site's reviews, but I just don't agree with this one. I'm getting kind of disappointed with the site's music reviews, and it might be because I'm biased, but I think when experimental acts like Fall Out Boy trying out this new sound and fun. in general getting lukewarm reviews compared to the real average synthpop, something's wrong.
Kid, 10 years old April 27, 2013

Nice song!

The song is catchy and has a good beat. It's bit darker than their previous ones, but I kind of like that about the track. Also, the music video is pretty good.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymywatercoolerromance February 22, 2015

"MY SONGS KNOW WHAT YOU DID IN THE DARK is bursting with angst and trying very hard to be catchy, but ends up being weakened by uninspiring lyrics and a lack of originality and authenticity. Lead singer Pete Wentz wants to be provocative but fails; this is the type of song you'll hear in the background at shopping malls and in movie trailers and wonder what ever happened to rock 'n' roll. Even kids may find the sound either too predictably "current" or not current enough." ...Please, as soon as Pete Wentz sings My Songs, alert me right away. I'd love to hear it. But for now... Patrick's the singer. Not Pete. But for the other inaccuracies in this hopeless review, this background, failing song was probably the biggest song of 2013. Yeah, Pete... real bad job... not like this is a song EVERYONE knows and loves... The "uninspiring" lyrics of My Songs are, actually, creative and well thought out in every way. I only wish I could write lyrics as well as Pete. And for wondering what happened to rock and roll... maybe you should go watch the "I Don't Care" music video. (And think about why they named their album "Save Rock and Roll.") P.S. In no way was their old stuff "bubblegum." God, have you ever even listened to Fall Out Boy?!?!
Teen, 17 years old Written byrebma97 November 18, 2014

Very catchy

I got into Fall Out Boy around 2014, and let me tell you, they're one of my new favorite bands. The singers and the music are just great together. This song is no exception. The main thing you have to watch out for, of course, is the innuendo ("My songs know what you did in the dark" is probably very well a suggestive line"). Otherwise, the song itself is pretty fine. No language or drug references as far as I can recall. With that being said, this track is better for teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMy1ten0baby January 6, 2014

Violence

There is a lot of violent roles in the music video.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymaximumdrumz June 3, 2013

PATRICK STUMP

Ok, this reviewer needs to get their facts straight before they go hating on Fall Out Boy, Pete is NOT the lead singer, he is the bass player, Patrick Stump is the singer! I'm sorry but do a little research, otherwise you just sound ignorant. This song is great and other than a few mildly suggestive lines it should be fine for kids, though most of Fall Out Boy's general audience is older teens in the 16 and up range who would have been there to remember FOB from the start back in 2005. Check out the rest of their album, Save Rock And Roll.