Kid reviews for "Pumped Up Kicks" (CD Single)

Upbeat music masks darker messages about smoking, guns.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 October 24, 2016

Doesn't shy away from the reality of bullying.

This is a great song that depicts bullying from the victims AND the bully. Its really good and yes it has violence, guns, and smoking, but come on, so does Tarzan. If you get this song you should listen to it.
Teen, 14 years old Written by3dblaster October 1, 2015

Dark Message, but not what common sense says

Yes the song has a dark meaning, but no it isnt about being a cowboy. It is about a boy plotting to massacre his school.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymemeboi2018 October 24, 2017

I love it

This song gave me a courage to love shrek

Teen, 15 years old Written byCooltiger37 September 6, 2018

Controversial song has violence, smoking

While this song is really catchy and well-made, it is extremely controversial due to its violent lyrics about school shootings. However, although there are also a couple references to cigarette smoking, the track doesn't have any profanity or sexual content. Overall, though, I think kids will be really confused by a happy and upbeat-sounding song having such dark lyrics, so it's best for thinking teens who can fully understand it.

Kid, 9 years old March 3, 2018

Amazing!!!!

7 and up for me and i'm nine, i know all the words to this! and if your kid may be sencetiv (yes i know i spelled that wrong) then dont let them listen to the words but overall AMAZING, i'm saving up to buy torches (there album)

Teen, 15 years old Written byKatMist9821 February 27, 2018

Not Like Common Sense Says

This song is totally different than how CSM says. Its about a teen who gets a hold of a gun and is going to shoot up his school. It's a great song that puts light on school shootings and bulling. Just listen to the lyrics and you can hear the whole story behind this song.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBushman343 July 31, 2017

Do you guys really know what it is

Pumped up kicks may be all happy and all. But it resolves around wanting to do a school shooting listen to the lyrics. It's about all those schools shootings for example the columbine school shooting
Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2013

Good tune

Good tune but if you listen to the lyrics they are kinda disturbing

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

This is one of my favorite songs. It is very catchy. The lyrics are kind of disturbing (a kid taking his dad's gun and going to kill "all the other kids with the pumped up kicks"). I could see how it would offend a lot of people.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKidquizine May 22, 2012

Not what you think it's about, video makes no sense

The song is about an outcast/bullied teen, NOT about a school shooter. So maybe it references smoking, guns, etc. but it is not about a kid who goes killing people. Even Mark Foster himself said it had a "anti-bullying message". Give them a break people! @way245's review was just the same idea- please read it! BTW- the video is the band doing random stuff like at a skate park, singing on stage, etc. Fine for kids :)
Teen, 17 years old Written bymovieviewer101 May 19, 2012

Good lyrics, great music

This is a song about a troubled teen who wants to kill his peers. Teens can learn to understand the pain others may have. I highly doubt teens are going to think it is a good idea to shoot out their school because of this song. The song displays the grim and desperate state of one teen, it does not endorse violence.

Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2012

Good Song.

This song is so catchy! I thought it was a great song at first, but then I saw the lyrics. The lyrics are actually meaningful. They're about a kid involved in a school shooting. The lyrics shocked and haunted me. It has violent references like possibly shooting "All the other kids with the pumped up kicks", and "You better run ... outrun my gun... faster than my bullet". There are several more-than-references to smoking "He's got a rolled cigarette/ Hangin' out his mouth/ He's a cowboy kid...I reason with my cigarette." Most kids cannot hear the lyrics.

Teen, 14 years old Written byScreennameGirl March 3, 2012

Mature Older Tween and Teen Song

This song is violent about kids finding the parents' gun. As long as the kids are mature enough to know not to shoot people with guns, they can listen. LOL! :3 And yes, I know about all the shootings at high schools in recent years. But, it's a catchy song. It's one of my parents' favorite songs. This song doesn't say "Hey! Go shoot all the kids at your school! That is a very good thing to do!". Understand that.

Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2012

The Real Reason

To start with, the band made this song because a real shoot-out happened. A 19 year old kid wasnt getting attention at home and was depressed. He found a rifle in his dad's closet and went to a mall. He started shooting. They made the song to be that kid and how he was feeling. This wasn't just for fun and stuff. It is a serious song. They put insight into it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan February 2, 2012

Not as good as Don't Stop

Pretty violent, but not as bad as some people say.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDamon254 January 31, 2012

Postitive messages

THE BEST SONG IN THE WORLD, i get why everyone is so negative about this song, so what it is about smoking, and guns who cares, you cant even understand what he is saying until the chorus comes up then u can tell what they are saying. :)

Kid, 10 years old January 28, 2012

Good Song

I think this is an OK song. It does talk about smoking and guns and stuff like that, but you can't even hear what they are saying!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

Calm Down! You're overreacting

Yes, it's about a kid on a shooting spree, guess what, stuff like this happens, they aren't glorifying it. they're just showing inside the head of a kid like this. i once watched a really good movie about suicide bombers and you would probably freak out, but the message (like Foster the People's) wasn't that this behavior is good, but rather that stuff like this happens and we need to talk about it instead of covering it up.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySumBO January 16, 2012

GREAT SONG!(:

Calm down people. If you would look up interviews about this you would see that This song isnt promoting Teen violence, Its about past things thats gone on and all the crap that goes on in the world nowadays, Torches, and Foster the people is amazing, there is no Curse Words, Sexual References or anything inapropriate in the entire Cd. This song is about a Teenager that has been bullied his entire life for not being able to afford the best brand of Shoes, Clothes, and Finally just loses it. Foster the people is one of the Only bands out there that doesnt influence bad things on kids. And I would recommend "Torches" to anyone(:
Teen, 15 years old Written byLiberal-SF-gal January 11, 2012

Calm Down!

Ok so it may be about school shootings, but guess what? that stuff happens, they aren't glorifying it in anyway!