Parent reviews for Stars Dance

Tired, mildly suggestive collection of generic dance-pop.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byRosebud95 August 9, 2013

Don't be so mainstream

Some of the songs are catchy, and her voice seems to be getting better (not as good as Demi, of course). The thing is, it can sometimes get to 'synthy', 'autotune-y', and repeatitve. "Birthday" is really repetitive and needs a dance routine to carry as a decent track."Undercover" is catchy, but it's got the mainstream sound. And the bonus track "Nobody Does It Like You" is insanely over-produced; it sounds like me when I don't know what say on the T-Pain app! The best song on here that showcases her increasingly stronger voice is "Stars Dance", "Like A Champion", and maybe even "Slow Down". She seems more comfortable with these songs. The heartbreak songs are good, too.

Best songs in order:

1.Like A Champion
2. B.E.A.T.
3. Slow Down
4. Stars Dance
5. Music Feels Better (which sounds a lot like "Music Sounds Better" by Big Time Rush)
6. Forget Forever
7. Write Your Name
8. Undercover
9. Love Will Remember
10. Save The Day
11. Come & Get It
12. Birthday
13. Nobody Does It Like You

It seems like in some songs she's almost breaking out of mainstream pop, but then caves in and eludes a more exotic vibe. Also, she should add more of her own sound 'cause some of these seem to be more than inspired by other songs. Like, while I like it, "B.E.A.T." (what's it supposed to stand for, anyway?) it basically ripped-off Dev's "Bass Down Low" in the chorus "I like the lights in my hand and the beat in my face" = "I like my beat fast and my bass down low". But while it's sort of knockoff, Selena's is better than Dev's.

All in all, this is mostly a dance album like Blackout by Britney Spears --- but done better.