All member reviews for "Starships" (CD Single)

Another edgy, crass song from rap queen; older teens and up.

Kid, 9 years old April 15, 2014

Starships were meant to fly!

This fun song is About fun, partying, and being you. S--t, b-tch are used minimal times, and if you don't like motherf--ker, sing something else to yourself.
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2012

awesome song!

This is my favorite song ever! No offends to them, but commonsensemedia has no right to tell me what music I can listen to. I personally don't think there should be music reviews on this site at all! Yea, you can prevent your kid from watching a movie or show or reading a book, but you cant really stop them from listening to music. This song is all about enjoying life and just having fun! That's what you should do!
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2014

Common Sense, stop being silly. It's just swearing heard on the playground.

EpicBoy21, and this is my first music review. As long as these 12-year-olds know not to repeat these words, even if the song does catch on in their head, it's probably right. You hear it edited on radio, and the uncensored edition (containing words the edited version bleeps out), include these words several times in the chorus: "We're higher than a mother-f***er", as well as "B*tches like me are hard to come by", "F**k who you want and f**k who you like", but I can't remember "sh*t" being used. The drug reference is in the chorus, and the sexual reference in a verse. But otherwise, no mention of violence. I haven't seen the music video, but besides, it's AUDIO. Also, it's used in the background in one scene of "Pitch Perfect". Thankyou for reading.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag August 17, 2013

Great music, memorable melody, bad language.

With "Starships", Nicki Minaj does everything well she did wrong with "Pound the Alarm". She has almost the same beat and structure, but here it seems more catchy, more passionate. When she starts rapping the verse, you can hear she is doing her best, when the chorus kicks in, it's almost irresistable singing along, and when she drops her most memorable (and edgiest) line, a strangly monotone synth-melody enters the stage, and you can do other than dancing. This is how techno-pop should sound like. Positive, catchy and with a memorable hook. Go ahead, Nicki! The lyrics to this song are rather strong and of an R-ish nature. She frequently drops f-bombs (one very memorable line in the chorus "we're higher than a mothrrf****r") and there might be some other curse words, too. You should know your child about using language, but you also should know that this song's edgiest line bursts out in the chorus, where it can be assumed that kids want to sing along. I think teenagers 14 and up should be okay, if they know how to deal with profanity.
Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2012

Awesome song, but way to much cursing.

This song has a great tune, but strong language, including F**k, (F***k who you want and F**k who you like) and S**it. (Imma blow all my money don't give to S**ts.) Kids might think this song is actually about Starships, but in my opinion its most likely about getting high (Can't stop we're higher than a mother****** etc) Also Bud light is mentioned, kids might buy the clean version on iTunes, which only changes one thing. (**** who you want and **** who you like) This is one of the best songs of the year but the language makes it not okay for anyone under 12.
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2012

Oh God, No.

No way is Nicki anywhere NEAR the kind of role-model you'd want. Nor does any of her songs have much of any meaning or message. In fact, not a lot of songs anymore have deep meanings that make you think- which disappoints me. What happened to music? I'd love to hear some Panic! At the Disco, FTP [Foster the People], or even some Gorillaz on the radio sometime. Not all this meaningless rap tunes and songs about sex.
Kid, 11 years old April 4, 2016

Starships -Spaceships

I think the meaning Of starships is feeling happy cuz in the lyrics she says " Starships were meant to fly hands up and touch the sky " but there are remarks of f*** and other things and on just dance when she says higher than a mother****** there is a very very colorful part which might mean high on drugs and there's even s*** starships is not meant for nine and younger so this my opinion what the heck none of nicki Minaj songs are appropriate for children! Especially Anaconda ugh......
Teen, 16 years old Written byIlovefilms18 October 20, 2014

Good song - positive message

It has a LOT of swearing but you can get clean versions a bit about drugs
Kid, 9 years old May 15, 2014
Not so great for ages 12 and under
Teen, 13 years old Written bymunoru July 22, 2013

Teens and up

Can't hear motherf--ker Sexual ("if you want more" could be an innuendo),so only teens.
Kid, 10 years old March 26, 2013

Good!Because i dance it in our foundation!

Positive!This is great!My teacher loves it and me too!So,i think it is for tweens and teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLpandabear March 15, 2013

Starships-nicki minaj

THIS SONG IS 100% AMAZING!!!!!! Even for little kids they won't know what the lyrics are meaning cause it goes by so fast its nothing to worry about.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 30, 2013

Very Good, but not for kids

A great song with lots of catchy lyrics, but filled with sex references, and strong language in the chorus. bad role models, and not for kids. Lots F-bombs, and B words, plus some S words as well.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2013

Great!

I think this a really great pop song. The only problem is the words that Nicki says. You may not know it, but most children by the age of 10 or 11 already know all these words and have heard them before. I think you should tell your kid, before listening to the song, not ever to use those certain words. The reference to drinking is minimal and as long as you tell your child that this isn't good behavior in the real world, the song is great to dance and sing to.
Kid, 9 years old December 2, 2012

One of my favorite songs!

I listen to this song all the time and I love it, I think if you're child knows not to say explicit things then you can let them listen to more explicit things. But i am not saying they should listen to Eminem or more explicit Minaj songs.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRosebud95 November 21, 2012

Catchy

It's Nicki Minaj...so, it's gonna be..."brash". But it's okay for older teens...maybe mature preteens
Kid, 9 years old November 4, 2012

look down

This song is fine for ages 13 and up it is surprisingly good and clean (For Minaj) personally i love this song and hear it everyday but i probably shouldnt though but anyways great song 13 and up.
Parent Written byMsMeep August 22, 2012

Know Your Child!

Defiantly know your child before you let them listen to this music! Are the the type who repeats cuss words? Are they influenced to do what singers do or say? In my opinion as an 18 year old this song is great but as a babysitter, I would not allow for anyone under 14 to listen to it! Hope this helps!
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2012

every time i think about nicki minaj i have to shake my head. terrible
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 23, 2012

starships cd single

Do you think her bad-girl image is appealing to audiences? Why or why not? How do you think she compares to other known "bad girls" like Madonna and Lady Gaga? Nicki Minaj is controversial because she uses profanity and raps about sex, yet men do this all the time and don't get called out for it. Is this a double standard? Can you think of other examples in music where men are allowed to be "bad" but women are criticized for doing the same? Would Minaj be as popular if she sang less edgy songs? Can you picture her singing a sweet ballad or romantic love song?