All member reviews for "Starships" (CD Single)

Kid, 9 years old April 15, 2014

Starships were meant to fly!

This fun song is About fun, partying, and being you. S--t, b-tch are used minimal times, and if you don't like motherf--ker, sing something else to yourself.
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2012

awesome song!

This is my favorite song ever! No offends to them, but commonsensemedia has no right to tell me what music I can listen to. I personally don't think there should be music reviews on this site at all! Yea, you can prevent your kid from watching a movie or show or reading a book, but you cant really stop them from listening to music. This song is all about enjoying life and just having fun! That's what you should do!
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2012

Oh God, No.

No way is Nicki anywhere NEAR the kind of role-model you'd want. Nor does any of her songs have much of any meaning or message. In fact, not a lot of songs anymore have deep meanings that make you think- which disappoints me. What happened to music? I'd love to hear some Panic! At the Disco, FTP [Foster the People], or even some Gorillaz on the radio sometime. Not all this meaningless rap tunes and songs about sex.
Teen, 16 years old Written byIlovefilms18 October 20, 2014

Good song - positive message

It has a LOT of swearing but you can get clean versions a bit about drugs
Kid, 9 years old May 15, 2014

Not so great for ages 12 and under
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2014

Common Sense, stop being silly. It's just swearing heard on the playground.

EpicBoy21, and this is my first music review. As long as these 12-year-olds know not to repeat these words, even if the song does catch on in their head, it's probably right. You hear it edited on radio, and the uncensored edition (containing words the edited version bleeps out), include these words several times in the chorus: "We're higher than a mother-f***er", as well as "B*tches like me are hard to come by", "F**k who you want and f**k who you like", but I can't remember "sh*t" being used. The drug reference is in the chorus, and the sexual reference in a verse. But otherwise, no mention of violence. I haven't seen the music video, but besides, it's AUDIO. Also, it's used in the background in one scene of "Pitch Perfect". Thankyou for reading.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag August 17, 2013

Great music, memorable melody, bad language.

With "Starships", Nicki Minaj does everything well she did wrong with "Pound the Alarm". She has almost the same beat and structure, but here it seems more catchy, more passionate. When she starts rapping the verse, you can hear she is doing her best, when the chorus kicks in, it's almost irresistable singing along, and when she drops her most memorable (and edgiest) line, a strangly monotone synth-melody enters the stage, and you can do other than dancing. This is how techno-pop should sound like. Positive, catchy and with a memorable hook. Go ahead, Nicki! The lyrics to this song are rather strong and of an R-ish nature. She frequently drops f-bombs (one very memorable line in the chorus "we're higher than a mothrrf****r") and there might be some other curse words, too. You should know your child about using language, but you also should know that this song's edgiest line bursts out in the chorus, where it can be assumed that kids want to sing along. I think teenagers 14 and up should be okay, if they know how to deal with profanity.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymunoru July 22, 2013

Teens and up

Can't hear motherf--ker Sexual ("if you want more" could be an innuendo),so only teens.
Kid, 10 years old March 26, 2013

Good!Because i dance it in our foundation!

Positive!This is great!My teacher loves it and me too!So,i think it is for tweens and teens.
Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2013

Nicki has no talent

Sorry, but Nicki has no talent. I could list all of the reasons why, but I'll just leave it at this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLpandabear March 15, 2013

Starships-nicki minaj

THIS SONG IS 100% AMAZING!!!!!! Even for little kids they won't know what the lyrics are meaning cause it goes by so fast its nothing to worry about.
Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2013

Great!

I think this a really great pop song. The only problem is the words that Nicki says. You may not know it, but most children by the age of 10 or 11 already know all these words and have heard them before. I think you should tell your kid, before listening to the song, not ever to use those certain words. The reference to drinking is minimal and as long as you tell your child that this isn't good behavior in the real world, the song is great to dance and sing to.
Kid, 9 years old December 2, 2012

One of my favorite songs!

I listen to this song all the time and I love it, I think if you're child knows not to say explicit things then you can let them listen to more explicit things. But i am not saying they should listen to Eminem or more explicit Minaj songs.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRosebud95 November 21, 2012

Catchy

It's Nicki Minaj...so, it's gonna be..."brash". But it's okay for older teens...maybe mature preteens
Kid, 9 years old November 4, 2012

look down

This song is fine for ages 13 and up it is surprisingly good and clean (For Minaj) personally i love this song and hear it everyday but i probably shouldnt though but anyways great song 13 and up.
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2012

every time i think about nicki minaj i have to shake my head. terrible
Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2012

Awesome song, but way to much cursing.

This song has a great tune, but strong language, including F**k, (F***k who you want and F**k who you like) and S**it. (Imma blow all my money don't give to S**ts.) Kids might think this song is actually about Starships, but in my opinion its most likely about getting high (Can't stop we're higher than a mother****** etc) Also Bud light is mentioned, kids might buy the clean version on iTunes, which only changes one thing. (**** who you want and **** who you like) This is one of the best songs of the year but the language makes it not okay for anyone under 12.
Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2012

Starships

This song is ok ,by accident I heard this on the radio. Starships is a song that talks about sexuality and drinking it has several bad words like the mf word,the f word and other cuss words .little kids should not be exposed to it .Like nick raps in the zone zone kiss them in the zone .
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 6, 2012

Really good!

Not for kids, and not one of Nicki Minaj's best songs.
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2012

Hands up, and touch the sky...

This song's main meaning is simple: Have fun and enjoy life. However, Nicki's style comes in... and there are swear words like f***, b**ch, etc., and drinking references. However, if children understand what the main message is, and understand the iffy phrases (and know not to do or say those things), then any MATURE child over 11 will probably be able to listen to Starships. It is a catchy song with a great beat, and it is on my playlist!!! :D