All member reviews for Sweeney Todd Soundtrack

Teen, 16 years old Written bywoodielynn8 June 26, 2010

great songs!

all of the songs are great but some of the words, if you really pay attention, are suggestive to murder and some sexual references.
Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2009

Very good songs, nothing to worry about, really.

I personally LOVE the music to this film. Wonderful singers, wonderful song. Barely any of the songs contain swear words, except "Epiphany," but they only say the word sh*t once, and in "The Contest," Todd identifies a bottle of elixir as "p*ss and ink." Not for parents to worry about, really. It's just that most of the songs are dark and full of hate, but al. Not for parents to worry about, really. It's just that most of the songs are dark and full of hate or strangeness. But not to say that a great deal of them are touching or sweet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMegaaaanx3 April 9, 2008

I can't stop listening to thisss

I looooveed the movie so i had to have the soundtrack and now i constantly ave the songs in my head [: very good movie... but theres nothing to bad in the soundtrack one curseword but if you really understand it they are singing about killing people and making people into meaat pies to give ouut. But understand that if you get the soundtrack for someone they WILL want to see the movie if they hadn't done so alreeadyy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI_love_Sondheim April 9, 2008

*sigh* Ruined an amazing show....

with horrifc singers. First a little background. I LOVE Sweeney Todd, maybe crossing the line into obsession. That being said, this soundtrack is dreadful! Johnny Depp is terribly nasally, not at all the powerful voice that is required for Sweeney. Helena Bonham Carter is very breathy, though not an altogether horrible singer. Her take on "By the Sea" is the one enjoyable song on this soundtrack. Alan Rickman, *sigh*, Alan Rickman. Horrendous as the judge, just wrong for the role. You can just TELL he can't sing, you know? Jamie Campbell Bower sounds so sickly, it almost hurts to hear his rendition of the beautiful song "Johanna." {And he looks VERY feminine in the movie...hmmm...} Laura Michelle Kelly is actually pretty good, though that is to be expected sing she has had prior singing experience. Ed Sanders is OK, definitely nothing special. His "Not While I'm Around" is a little boring, but he's what, under 14? {WHY? He's supposed to be like 17!} Sacha Baren Cohen's not that bad, but then again his song is so over the top everyone's version of this song sounds pretty much the same. Jayne Wisener is the only singer on this soundtrack that I can honestly call good. She's a very good singer that I hope has some performances in some big theatres.......{One thing, though, which has nothing to do with how she sings. Why does Johanna have a slight Irish accent if she's been in London for her whole life?} Also, I just want to say that none of these people are bad actors. Just bad singers! All of this album is not appalling, though. I love the "Opening Title" and the orchestra is just amazing. The music itself is rich with breath-taking melodies. {Oh, the joys of Sondheim! x]...} Thanks for reading the review from the biggest theatre geek ever.
Teen, 13 years old Written byapplestoapples April 9, 2008

Amazing soundtrack; a must buy for any Sondheim fan as well!

Before the release of 'Sweeney Todd' in theaters, I had never heard of the story or the musical before. Luckilly, I found it, browsing on a movie website a few months ago. Ever since, I've been nearly obsessed, and I bought the soundtrack the moment it came out; without even hearing it first! Heck, I didn't need to! ALL the songs are well performed and brilliantly written (thank you Stephen Sondhiem!) and Johnny and Helena did surprisingly well for first-time singers. I couldn't tell you what my "favorite song" would be from this album, simply because I can't choose just one! Read below for my content review. =D VIOLENCE: Sweeney mentions his revenge on the judge several times throughout the songs. There is talk about which customers would taste best in Mrs. Lovett's pies (in a humorous way). In the "Final Scene" we hear (spoilers) Mrs. Lovett scream as she is pushed into an open furnace. LANGUAGE: Sweeney remarks that Pirelli's miracle elikir smells like "p-ss and ink." 'In Epipany' and 'No Place Like London' the phrase "there's a hole in the world like a great, black pit and it's filled with people who are filled with sh-t" appears (once in each; very briefly). SENSUAL CONTENT: Mrs. Lovett fantasises about being married to Todd in 'By The Sea' (nothing sexual). You simply have to check out this soundtrack - it is one of the best albums that I have heard in a long time!
Kid, 11 years old December 2, 2012

HECK YES!!

If you liked the movie, you'll want to pick up this soundtrack IMMEDIATLY!
Kid, 7 years old July 9, 2010

Great!

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter bring wonderful voices to this wonderful soundtrack!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008