Great music, but also intense and dark.

Adult Written byOptimusPrimal February 22, 2011

Fantastic Album Fine For 14+

This album is perfect in every way, from a technical standpoint. It is close to perfection in themes, messages, and content issues. "The End" and "Dead!" have somewhat of a prayer to them: ("Save me!..."To young to die, get me out of here!") Where "Welcome To The Black Parade" motions those who have lost a loved one to ("Carry on...Though you're dead and gone, you're memory will carry on...") "Cancer" is a ballad of "The Patient" dying of cancer (Obviously), and telling his love that it is hard to leave her, but he will see her again...("The hardest part of this is leaving you.../I'll be with you soon.") "Famous Last Words" encourages listeners, once again, to be strong...("I am not afraid to keep on living/I am not afraid to walk this world alone...") "This Is How I Disappear" shows "The Patients" love for his wife/girlfriend...("Without you is how I disappear/I want to be with you forever now...") "I Don't Love You" is a sad song, but ultiamtely ends with telling the truth, though it may be hard...("This Is The Hardest thing to say.../I don't love you like I did, yesterday...") In "Disenchanted", "The Patient" recalls all the fond memories he had before he dies...("It was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing.../I spent my high school career and got my degree/I always wanted to sell a car on TV...") "Mama" shows that if one sins he will die and go to hell...("Oh, mama, we're all gonna die.../Mama we all go to hell/I should've been a better son...") The negative content is really quite minimal. "GD" is used twice on "Disenchanted", "F--k" is used very sparingly and only on three songs. "Sh-t" is used on "Teenagers" several times, and "House Of Wolves" suggests that this fictional character "The Patient" feels no regret for past sins...("I S-I-N.../I'll say what I wanna say/ Honey I'm no angel, I'll take that to my grave...") On a artistic standpoint, this album is fantastic. Soaring vocals from Gerard Way, amazing lead guitar from Ray Toro, and high-scale production values ensure this CD will be played over and over again. Parents, please consider buying this for your kids if you are unsure about the content. I hope my review helps you in your decision. There are a lot of good lessons to learn from this album, and who knows, you may find you enjoy it as well.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Music Girl June 10, 2011

Stop blaming MCR, their music is great and helps when your down

When some parents see, "Death obsessed lyrics..", they freak out. MCR may mention death quite a few times, or have "dark lyrics", but have you ever considered that your children really feel like this inside? You might say, "oh its that darn My Chemical Romance. Timmy, you shouldn't listen to them.", but maybe your kids have really "big" problems in their lives and need to be listened to. On the album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge", the song "I'm Not Okay" expresses many teens' feelings (YES, even the f bomb near the end!) On, "The Black Parade", the song "Welcome to the Black Parade" can help many get over the death of a friend or family member; as well as the song "Helena" from the "Three Cheers..." album. Parents: STOP blaming bands, TV, and whatever else. START talking to your kids and listening to them when they are trying to tell you that something is wrong with them. Instead of ending the coversation or changing the subject, ask your kid how they feel when they listen to MCR's music. Some may just tell you their inner feelings and that MCR helps them through dark times. When you don't listen, it makes them seal their feelings up in their minds and not want to tell you anything, driving them far away from you and closer to MCR's music. And the reason why they like MCR? Because these songs make them feel understood and may even make them feel better. Bottom Line: LISTEN TO YOUR KIDS, talk to them, and STOP blaming bands like MCR.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheartlessxsinner August 17, 2009

Perfectly Fine

Yes, they did drop a few f-bombs. So what? Kids my age do it every single day. If parents are worried about their kids commiting suicide or becoming depressed from listening to My Chemical Romance's lyrics, then they should listen to the last track, 'Famous Last Words', which uses the lines quite a few times, 'I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone.' And thanks to that song, I am not afraid to keep going on with my life, even through the darkest of times.
Adult Written byMisskilljoy March 11, 2012

I LOVE THIS BAND (OBVIOUSLY!) :D

Okay this is one of the best albums ever!!! I don't know where to start! First off why aren't there any "Good Role model" things on your review!!! D: Gerard Way is a wonerful role model. Amazing just truely amazing. I love this band with all my heart and they are just wonderfully talented and unique. Secondly its INSANE to hear that (not commonsense) but, that other places and parents call MCR "a sucide cult" THEY ARE NOT TELLING ANYONE TO KILL THEMSELVES!!!! Examples? Well here: In "Famous Last Words" (One of the best songs I've ever heard) "I'm not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" Now what part of that is saying "Kids go kill youselves?" that's right NONE!!!!! Anyways. This is a great album and sure some of its a little "mature" for younger kids but, nothing to cover their ears over. My Chemcial Romance is, as I've already stated, a great, unique, and, talented band with a lead singer who not only can actually sing live! but, is actually a good role model. I think its insane that there isn't a good role model icon on this! Gerard is a great role model. I love this band and well they are just amazing and i don't care what anyone says about it! Lovely, well-written songs with a meaning!!!!! A lot of love to all of you Killjoys who love this band as much as I do! <3 Love you guys and girls!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMCRsaveslives November 22, 2011

MCR saves lives.

Just stop. This website makes me bang my head against a wall. Instead of giving parents a heads up about certain bands, they completely distort the truth to veer them away from what truly exists within the material. Some expletives and reoccurring themes involving death, but this album represents one of the darkest times in the history of the band. As I said in my other MCR review for Three Cheers, unwind you uptight geezers.
Kid, 12 years old June 21, 2009

Love it

What most parents don't get is that the feelings expressed in these albums, ya know, Might actually be real feelings (Wow....)! If a child is listening to this music, it does not mean they are depressed or death obsessed, it means they have good taste in music. If they like this music, or are into the "emo culture" it does not mean they are suicidal, or need to be in a mental facility. Quit being so paranoid and at least try to understand it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCherrie Wayero November 15, 2016

Inspirational

I am 18 years old and when I was younger I was extremely suicidal. This band saved my life. Many of these songs are about pulling through the struggles of life. Famous last words was about Mikey way, the bassist and brother of the lead singer [gerard way] of this band, he was talking about how Miley was rehabilitating and how much he loved his brother. How it is okay to be afraid to keeep going but you just have to persevere. Gerard way knows a lot about the topic, as he was extremely suicidal and did drugs in 2001 but he got clean in 17 days and pulled through his depreddion. And now he has a solo career a lovely daughter and wife, and is doing all he can to save other people's lives.
Adult Written byFireFire August 27, 2015

MCR: The black parade

I think there are some dark lyrics, but famous last words make positive messages. Mama is very sad and dark, teenagers isn't the worst, House of wolves is a little bit random, Cancer is sad, and I dont' love you is also very upsetting. there is moderate profanity and drugs, but thinking logicaly, when its the teens, its worrying for them, but if you young then what will happen, your kids won't notice, but when you get to 13+ it will make them think, i have listened since I was young and it never effected me or my buddy i always used to be with. Great album on the good side. Also people saying Gerard Way was a "good role model" but he took drugs and got high all the time." i am not badmouthing Gerard way, great guy great music, but when he came off drugs in 2006, great role model for kids because he went on drugs and came of, (shouldn't have started in the first place) and they are not a suicide cult, but he is a great guy now, not a prob with my kids listening from 7 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPunkchick1061 February 23, 2012

Dear Common Sense Media,

You have no Common Sense!!! I've listened to this album a million times, and nowhere is it talking about an "apocalyptic view" or anything like that. If you did your research, you would know that it is actually a Rock Opera about a patient in the hospital, not f--king zombies! And, also, it doesn't encourage ANYONE to kill or injure themselves -- just the opposite. Lyrics like "We'll carry on" does not mention killing themselves --it's about dealing with whatever life dishes out. MCR is totally against suicide - they ran a whole campaign, and even in an interview Gerard said that "MCR saved our lives, and saves others." I definitely felt that. MCR saved my life after I went through a really dark time in my life. If you think it'll turn your kids "to the dark side", you're wrong. It makes them feel heard and relate-able. Don't think your kids don't know what drugs or suicide is. Chances are, if they're over 10, they'll give you a pretty in-depth report. Positive Messages: They are totally anti-suicide. Listen to one of their songs, and you'll find out. They're urging to "carry on" and make things better. Positive Role Models: In 2004, the lead vocalist, Gerard Way, had trouble dealing with his alcohol and drug addiction. This was a recovery album for him after he got sober. He doesn't lie in this album -- lyrics like "If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out first-hand what it's like to be me" is something teens can all relate to at some point. And he's not lying when he sings this - in thier documentary, he states "I don't like the way my face looks, but that's OK, 'cause it's my...face!" He reassures his fans, saying "No matter how messed up you are, there are 5 messed up dudes just like you..." Violence: In "Dead" he mentions, "Wouldn't it be great if we were dead?" This is meant METAPHORICALLY, from the Patient's perspective. It's definitely not the band's view. Remember, this album is telling a STORY. In "Teenagers" teens are depicted as "sleeping with their guns". I'm a teen, and i've never even held one -.- Sex: One tiny lyric "So why don't you blow me, A kiss before she leaves" in The Sharpest Lives. I'm not sure it's really sexual, I mean, it could be a possible misinterpretation. Again, kids will most likely miss that altogether. That's the only sexual-related thing off the album, so it's not a huge deal for teens to listen to. Trust me, we've heard it all before! Language: In the hidden track Blood, there is the lyric "The doctors and the nurses, they adore me so, but it's really quite alarming, 'cause i'm such an awful f--k!" A few more f--k's and sh-t's. Again, not something we all haven't heard before! Consumerism: Really, CSM?!?! I don't think ads for their own merch qualify as consumerism. *facepalm* Drinking, Drugs and Smoking: In Teenagers, there is the lyric, "Because the drugs never work". In context, it's not suicidal or anything. A few other discrete mentions. Oh, and CSM, MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE IS THE GREATEST F--KING BAND EVAR! They're saving my generation not only from suicide, but from the terrible, fluff music that's listened to by 92% of the teen population. :) thank you
Adult Written byoptiman1 April 9, 2008

Important inspite of the warning

My wife and I usually on the same page with parental advisory warnings. If the "f" word shows up on the Ipod, off comes the song. My view pragmatic, hers emotional. In the case of THE BLACK PARADE by My Chemical Romance we are in different books. My son, who is 15, received it as a gift from a friend of mine at a Christmas party. It is not availible unedited so she took a chance. Confiscation was very swift, much to my sons' dismay. Negotiations are still in progress. From my pragmatic point of view THE BLACK PARADE is fantastic. This album is NIGHT AT THE OPERA and TOMMY for for a post 9/11 world. Yes, it is dark, and at times a little disturbing but so are many works of art. This ain't LEAVE IT TO BEAVER land anymore. I found the music intense, inventive, and at times quite delightful. The vocals are refeshing and pleasing to the ear. So unlike most of todays new rock, ie "Disturbed". As for the lyrics, if read in context, they weave stories and feelings we have all experienced before, even with the naughty words. (Aside from those my wife likes the album ). I feel those words were used for commercial purposes and can be overlooked. After all, don't actors go to rehab to increase their popularity.
Adult Written byHollow April 9, 2008

WOW!!!

I never wanted to even listen to them because I was told they were "emo". Finally I decided to give them a chance and start listening. I was blown away! They are NOT emo in any way. Though I am an adult now I still am careful what music I play when my parents are around because they are easily offended by most music I listen to. This is one cd I LOVE and can play loud without worry about my parents reaction.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytralfagarlaw July 30, 2015

CommonSense just think and do a Re Review and actually get some "Common Sense

This album is great and actually good compared to some of the other stuff on the radio. But "Common Sense" media thinks its a good idea to call this album dark. It actually has some great messages in it and will help anyone dealing with depression. Such as the last track Famous Last Words. The main chorus is "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" or Welcome To The Black Parade "Your Memory will Carry On". But no just because theres a skeleton conductor on the cover and some of the songs sound depressing at first means it will cause your children to join the cult of emos and start becoming satanists, that will never happen. People dont trust this bullshit site and just let your kids think for themselves
Teen, 14 years old Written bykojimoto March 1, 2012

Changed Me

This album has forever changed me. I am 14 years old and was having trouble with life. I think that adults just don’t understand. Whoever reviewed this album doesn’t see what kids can see from this band. Parents look at the album and see a skeleton, “parental advisory” sticker, and then read that the album is “macabre” or “death obsessed” “dark” and my personal favorite, “suicidal”. Kids turn to this music when no one else understands them, and when they feel neglected, or depressed. They aren’t going to go commit suicide but after listening to this song, feel that they aren’t alone. The album will KEEP kids from committing self harming acts. My personal favorite songs are “Disenchanted” the rocking “Sharpest Lives” and “Famous Last Words”. Yes there are 4 f words, 4 s words, and and 3 god da**. But YES Walmart sells EDITED versions. Buy this album, or any MCR albums. It will change you even if your not struggling with depression.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2011

MCR RULES!

MCR is a great band and role model. i don't like the age thing though it should be on how mature your kids are. MCR helps kids get through hard times. they are not death obsessed or suicidal they are savers. Gerard used to use drugs and be messed up but now he is fine. their lyrics help many people and i can relate to their songs. if you are mature you should be able to listen to this and love it.
Adult Written byFrigginlobster December 28, 2014

Fantastic Music, Death-Related Music

I think because of the slightly death-obsessed and explicit lyrics, it's ok for kids age 11
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2014

MCR

As an girl who has from depression and social anxiety, My Chemical Romance has honestly saved my life on more than one occasion. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who has been helped by them. It doesnt want to make me kill myself, it makes me want to keep on living!Thousands of kids listen to them for an escsape from life. The bands message is; its okay to be messed up, because your never alone. SO many times MCR has told kids not to kill themself, SO MANY, they tell you to stay strong, that you'll be okay, that you ARE worth it. Kids at school call my music "emo", they don't understand how much you can relate to something. Gerard (MCR's lead singer) has suffered from depression, alcholism, and drug abuse, he has even been suicidal twice, but he made it through and now is married with a little girl, he inspires me so much. Its okay, I don't expect people to understand it...
Teen, 16 years old Written byMikeyfuckingWay May 16, 2012

My Chemcial Romance, the best band in the whole entire world!

This is the mot amazing album in the whole entire world! I think iffy 15 is a little extreme. This is a great album with positive messages of carrying on and hope. I hate it when people say MCR is a suicide cult. Because they are the direct opposite of that. "We will carry on and though you're dead and gone believe me, your memory wil carry on." -Welcome to the Black Parade "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone." -Famous Last Words. Those are just two examples. I love this album, band, song, and every video they make. This is the most amazing band anyone could ever listen to. Please don't listen to those idiots who call them death obsessed or whatever. You can't go wrong by listening to this. Every song on this is perfect. People of all ages should listen it this. It's that good! Just don't judge by what the haters say and listen for yourself, you won't be disappointed! MCRArmy for life! <3
Parent Written byAgnesWalker May 13, 2012

Enough of overreacting!

That this is awesome, and you overreacting people should just shut up. This is the real world y'know? There's no way you can make the world seem full of roses just by not letting your children hear albums just like this one. And there's a good message in this album, just listen to the song ' Welcome to Black Parade ' it's about carrying on after death, for example if a dear person to you dies, and even if it's really difficult, carry on, don't deprive yourself of the chances you still have to carry on with a good life.
Teen, 17 years old Written byFallenAngel77 December 2, 2011

My Chemical Romance is an amazingly talented band

The best album I've ever heard. My Chemical Romance is a band full of good messages and pretty role models. No matter what anyone says about them being "pro teen sucide" or "a sucide cult" its so not true! "We will carry on though you're dead and gone your memory will carry on." how is that saying go kill yourself? and "I'm not afraid to keep on living, I am unafraid to walk this world alone." Really? If you are going to judge a band listen to the lyrics more then judge by the apperance of the members. So in short no matter what you hear about them, MCR is an amazingly talented band with songs full of good messages in their lyrics mixed with rocking music. This album by far is their best yet and is one of the best albums I've ever heard. My Chemical Romance is a band that's good for any age and saying "Iffy 15" is insane. If you're into rock music you will love My Chemical Romance (:
Teen, 13 years old Written byBVBxMCRxGirl February 18, 2011

Depends on what type of kids you have.

Some kids get too caught up in the music. Hannah Bond for example KILLED herself because she thought that "The Black Parade" was real. If you have good kids then let them listen to it. I found My Chemical Romance when I was twelve and I loved them. I personally thing they saved my life. I was depressed and their lyrics kept me going. Gerard came back from drugs and alchol(sp?) and is sober and drug free. He is my rolemodel.