All parent member reviews for The Black Parade

Adult Written byOptimusPrimal February 22, 2011

Fantastic Album Fine For 14+

This album is perfect in every way, from a technical standpoint. It is close to perfection in themes, messages, and content issues. "The End" and "Dead!" have somewhat of a prayer to them: ("Save me!..."To young to die, get me out of here!") Where "Welcome To The Black Parade" motions those who have lost a loved one to ("Carry on...Though you're dead and gone, you're memory will carry on...") "Cancer" is a ballad of "The Patient" dying of cancer (Obviously), and telling his love that it is hard to leave her, but he will see her again...("The hardest part of this is leaving you.../I'll be with you soon.") "Famous Last Words" encourages listeners, once again, to be strong...("I am not afraid to keep on living/I am not afraid to walk this world alone...") "This Is How I Disappear" shows "The Patients" love for his wife/girlfriend...("Without you is how I disappear/I want to be with you forever now...") "I Don't Love You" is a sad song, but ultiamtely ends with telling the truth, though it may be hard...("This Is The Hardest thing to say.../I don't love you like I did, yesterday...") In "Disenchanted", "The Patient" recalls all the fond memories he had before he dies...("It was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing.../I spent my high school career and got my degree/I always wanted to sell a car on TV...") "Mama" shows that if one sins he will die and go to hell...("Oh, mama, we're all gonna die.../Mama we all go to hell/I should've been a better son...") The negative content is really quite minimal. "GD" is used twice on "Disenchanted", "F--k" is used very sparingly and only on three songs. "Sh-t" is used on "Teenagers" several times, and "House Of Wolves" suggests that this fictional character "The Patient" feels no regret for past sins...("I S-I-N.../I'll say what I wanna say/ Honey I'm no angel, I'll take that to my grave...") On a artistic standpoint, this album is fantastic. Soaring vocals from Gerard Way, amazing lead guitar from Ray Toro, and high-scale production values ensure this CD will be played over and over again. Parents, please consider buying this for your kids if you are unsure about the content. I hope my review helps you in your decision. There are a lot of good lessons to learn from this album, and who knows, you may find you enjoy it as well.
Adult Written byMisskilljoy March 11, 2012

I LOVE THIS BAND (OBVIOUSLY!) :D

Okay this is one of the best albums ever!!! I don't know where to start! First off why aren't there any "Good Role model" things on your review!!! D: Gerard Way is a wonerful role model. Amazing just truely amazing. I love this band with all my heart and they are just wonderfully talented and unique. Secondly its INSANE to hear that (not commonsense) but, that other places and parents call MCR "a sucide cult" THEY ARE NOT TELLING ANYONE TO KILL THEMSELVES!!!! Examples? Well here: In "Famous Last Words" (One of the best songs I've ever heard) "I'm not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" Now what part of that is saying "Kids go kill youselves?" that's right NONE!!!!! Anyways. This is a great album and sure some of its a little "mature" for younger kids but, nothing to cover their ears over. My Chemcial Romance is, as I've already stated, a great, unique, and, talented band with a lead singer who not only can actually sing live! but, is actually a good role model. I think its insane that there isn't a good role model icon on this! Gerard is a great role model. I love this band and well they are just amazing and i don't care what anyone says about it! Lovely, well-written songs with a meaning!!!!! A lot of love to all of you Killjoys who love this band as much as I do! <3 Love you guys and girls!!!
Adult Written byoptiman1 April 9, 2008

Important inspite of the warning

My wife and I usually on the same page with parental advisory warnings. If the "f" word shows up on the Ipod, off comes the song. My view pragmatic, hers emotional. In the case of THE BLACK PARADE by My Chemical Romance we are in different books. My son, who is 15, received it as a gift from a friend of mine at a Christmas party. It is not availible unedited so she took a chance. Confiscation was very swift, much to my sons' dismay. Negotiations are still in progress. From my pragmatic point of view THE BLACK PARADE is fantastic. This album is NIGHT AT THE OPERA and TOMMY for for a post 9/11 world. Yes, it is dark, and at times a little disturbing but so are many works of art. This ain't LEAVE IT TO BEAVER land anymore. I found the music intense, inventive, and at times quite delightful. The vocals are refeshing and pleasing to the ear. So unlike most of todays new rock, ie "Disturbed". As for the lyrics, if read in context, they weave stories and feelings we have all experienced before, even with the naughty words. (Aside from those my wife likes the album ). I feel those words were used for commercial purposes and can be overlooked. After all, don't actors go to rehab to increase their popularity.
Adult Written byHollow April 9, 2008

WOW!!!

I never wanted to even listen to them because I was told they were "emo". Finally I decided to give them a chance and start listening. I was blown away! They are NOT emo in any way. Though I am an adult now I still am careful what music I play when my parents are around because they are easily offended by most music I listen to. This is one cd I LOVE and can play loud without worry about my parents reaction.
Parent of a 1, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo October 9, 2010

Tamer than last album, but still too much for most tweens.

The lyrics contain a lot of violent imagery, be warned. And the F and S word appear enough to get a PA sticker. However, it's tamer than Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, and it exceeds the high expectations we got from it. One of the main themes of this album is hope and courage, and you can find it behind the violent imagery. Get this album for your teens as soon as possible, but keep it out of most tweens reach.
Adult Written byFireFire August 27, 2015

MCR: The black parade

I think there are some dark lyrics, but famous last words make positive messages. Mama is very sad and dark, teenagers isn't the worst, House of wolves is a little bit random, Cancer is sad, and I dont' love you is also very upsetting. there is moderate profanity and drugs, but thinking logicaly, when its the teens, its worrying for them, but if you young then what will happen, your kids won't notice, but when you get to 13+ it will make them think, i have listened since I was young and it never effected me or my buddy i always used to be with. Great album on the good side. Also people saying Gerard Way was a "good role model" but he took drugs and got high all the time." i am not badmouthing Gerard way, great guy great music, but when he came off drugs in 2006, great role model for kids because he went on drugs and came of, (shouldn't have started in the first place) and they are not a suicide cult, but he is a great guy now, not a prob with my kids listening from 7 and up.
Adult Written bySamantha Louise June 2, 2015

Not what it seems

Many adults and parents alike assume listening to My Chemical Romance means your child is depressed, suicidal or "emo", as said in popular culture. (what even?! Where did you read that?! The Daily Mail?!) Due to earlier said, many concerns and red flags have been raised regarding their albums. First, it's important that parents understand that the messages conveyed in their songs are not at all that bad! Sure, a few f---'s and s---'s can be heard in the lyrics, but that shouldn't take away the overall message of it. In truth, amidst the dark and eerie music videos, a story of hope is being voiced out if you connect all the songs. Second, bad influences is not really a big issue. To be frank, lead singer, Gerard Way, is actually a good example. He overcame his addiction of drugs, is a good father and husband, and is a Catholic (according to one of his Twitter posts). If your problem is the songs, it doesn't have a bad message either. Like what I said a while ago, the story is a hopeful one. All in all, this probably just a PG album. Few curse words here and there, but not something you can teach your kids about.
Adult Written byMCR2001 January 12, 2015

Great!!!!!

Im 13 and I've been listening to MCR ever since i was 6. I LOVE THE GROUP!!!!!!!! It has Some Cursing that you should be aware of but it doesnt have a bad or suicidal message in any of the songs.
Adult Written byHiddlesSkittles January 1, 2015

Ignore the main review on top, it is WRONG

No, they are not death obsessed. Don't say that because you are most likely a parent who listened to Welcome to the Black Parade and assumed that all their songs were like that. In Famous Last Words one of the lines is"I am not afraid to keep on living/ I am not afraid to walk this world" Also, it said that kids with suicide or depression issues shouldn't listen to this. Also absolute bull. Most of the fans of MCR have had, or still have depression. I almost did as a matter of fact. This music is actually uplifting and they tell you that life is worth it. Gerard(the lead singer) himself is an absolute sweetheart! So are the rest of the band members too!! Honestly if you have depression or suicidal tendencies, I would ADVISE listening to them. If you don't, LISTEN TO THEM ANYWAY! Their music is amazing and uplifting at times. And in the case of Welcome to the Black Parade, that was about a family member who had passed. It was a sort of dedication. To the people writing these main reviews at the top, do your research before you say things like death-obsessed. They do occasionally drop a few curse words, but nothing too irrational. This is definitely teen band. Personally, I think almost anyone can gain something from listening to them. I started listening to them when I was 10 and now I'm 16 and still loving them.
Adult Written byFrigginlobster December 28, 2014

Fantastic Music, Death-Related Music

I think because of the slightly death-obsessed and explicit lyrics, it's ok for kids age 11
Parent Written byAgnesWalker May 13, 2012

Enough of overreacting!

That this is awesome, and you overreacting people should just shut up. This is the real world y'know? There's no way you can make the world seem full of roses just by not letting your children hear albums just like this one. And there's a good message in this album, just listen to the song ' Welcome to Black Parade ' it's about carrying on after death, for example if a dear person to you dies, and even if it's really difficult, carry on, don't deprive yourself of the chances you still have to carry on with a good life.
Adult Written byendermaze June 16, 2011

deeper content

Well I won't sugar coat it and say that the album is 'feel-good', or that it's really a happy album that's just a little rough around the edges. The truth is that it deals with some pretty serious themes like cancer, death, regret... but really it is a good album. For the genre of music that it is, it's themes aren't any worse than other albums and artists. On the surface it seems dark and depressing, but really what it is, is an artistic way of dealing with feelings that are more dark. If you look at it in a way that it is an artistic way to cope that its fine. That aside, artistically and musically, it is a really well done album. So think about it a bit deeper and give it a chance.
Adult Written byalice915 May 1, 2011

I suggest reading articles about this album on actual music sites

This album as some people do not understand is a concept album. This means that the album is about one thing which yes in this case includes death but the concept is the steps that a person who is about to die goes through in the bands eyes. Last time I checked many parents grew up in the time of the Door, Jimi Hendrix and those artists were doing drugs and most of the songs were about sex and drugs and I think people need to trust their childrens judgement.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by301TheAmazingSo... March 22, 2011

Suicide cult? Nah.

Not a suicide cult, no matter what anybody says. Hannah Bond had other problems. Plus, the song Famous Last Words states "I am not afraid to keep on living". I'm sure this would influence teens to kill themselves! Anyway, this is great alternative rock music for teens. It's a powerful story of someone dying of cancer, and looking back on his life events, and becoming less cynical about things. A great album for teens who are coping with death, or have recently experiences other bad stuff.
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byleashguy June 26, 2009

Suitable for all ages (clean version)

It is pretty innapropriate yes. I love it. It is a great, great album with well-written lyrics and music. It is fairly innapropriate, however. I let my kids listen to the clean versions of the songs. So I would say it is good for almost all kids as long as you get the clean versions.
Adult Written by6^ April 9, 2008

It's average

I'd have to give it an average rating.
Adult Written byCrystalCummings April 9, 2008