Kid reviews for The Dark Side of the Moon

Still a hit decades later, this album made Floyd superstars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byC.M.B April 10, 2013

REAL MUSIC RIGHT HERE!

Is it odd for someone whose 13 years old to be a very big fan of Pink Floyd? Well it shouldn't be! For those who are rock junkies, you WILL like this album! Trust me! To the parents, the only real problem that you will find is the language, e.g. at the beginning of the first track "Speak to Me" there is the line "I've been mad for f****** years" but is rather faint and the line on "Money", "don't give me that goody-good bull s***". Violence isn't much of a problem, the track "On the Run" basically sounds like the title, just very trippy and intense and at the end of the song there is an explosion. The topic of "The Great Gig in the Sky" is death although the narrator hints that it's just hypothetical. The topic of "Us and Them" is also on violence and war, although the message isn't too obvious and may take some figuring out. All in all, a rock classic for sure and if you are interested in this band, the only real album you should be wary of should be "The Wall" (especially the movie). The Wall album should be 16 years and older (for language and violence) and the movie IS NOT FOR KIDS (for language and especially sexual content and violence).

Teen, 14 years old Written bybonesauce February 22, 2021

if you are into older rock like myself, this is literally perfect for you! it's definitely in my top 3 albums, and i'm sure you will enjoy it. any color you like, us and them, and money all interconnect and i love them all. trust me, just listen to it yourself
Teen, 15 years old Written byDrayAgain December 22, 2020

Mild Language

In “Money” and they say the BS word. They even say the F word in “Speak to Me” but it’s barely audible. This album is one of the best albums ever in my opinion and my entire school has horrible music taste and listens to stupid garbage like Cardi B.
Teen, 17 years old Written byiwilloffmyself May 31, 2020

Excellent if your kid likes rock, jazz or metal music

Speak to me - 11+ say some swears
Breathe - 8+ the only somewhat bad line is "you race towards an early grave"
On the run - 6+song is about travel fear but no lyrics and just a beautiful song, what they don't know can't hurt them
Time - 13+ no swearing but the saddest most morbid song you will ever hear
Great gig in the sky - 6+ song is about death but no lyrics and just a beautiful song, what they don't know can't hurt them
Money - 11+ cynical lyrics + "goo goo goo bull$#!T
Us and Them - 10+ Song about war
Any color you like - 6+ what I said about gig and run but this time drugs
Brain Damage - 10+ about going crazy
Eclipse - 6+ nothing bad

Teen, 13 years old Written bySoothingCoffee December 17, 2018

Definitely a 10/10

One of the best selling for Pink Floyd, and there should be no surprise to that.

Because there is no other album quite like this... well, besides a few others by the same band themselves.

It's an entire life, trapped inside a album. It starts with a heartbeat, (literally,) and it ends with one. And in-between it talks about, depression, money and the bad things the love of it brings, brain damage, and death. It is a concept album, so it's definitely recommended to listen to each song side-by-side.

Guarantee you, mid way through listening, you'll find yourself staring off into space, thinking about life. Don't listen to it while you're working, you won't get anything done.

As for the age rating... I'd say, maybe a 10+
The first song on the album, 'Speak To Me' blurts out a sudden but almost inaudible f-bomb ("I've been mad for f*cking years",) and the song 'Money' also contains swearing, 'bulls**t.' ("Don't give me that do goody good bulls*hit.") And if you don't like the swearing, tough sh*t. It doesn't take away from the pure, unadulterated quality of the album.

It takes a smart one to fully understanding it's meaning, it's not just an album, as it is a story of life and it's hardships.

But, after all, i'd rank it below 'The Wall' (another album by Pink Floyd.) As the second best thing my ears have ever had the pleasure to listen to. I definitely recommend it. Now stop reading this little 13 year old bramble on about it, go listen to the album!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBosSGameR1 June 11, 2018

BEST FLOYD ALBUM EVER

The only thing wrong is in "money" it says bull----
Teen, 13 years old Written byChuck green August 1, 2017

Dark side of the pie- one of the best aged pies

Pies are good, we can all agree. This pie is no exception. The near dozen, apples in this pie, are all some of the best rock apples ever. You must understand though, some pies just taste too good. People don't understand those pies. Thats what this pie is. Many of the apples in this pie are songs that will stay with you forever. There is one zeebad word, however, i do not care. Neither should you. Some of the apples are depressing, but they are good. The dark side of the pie is so good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byInvalidReviews2017 March 31, 2017

70s hit classic is dark but brilliant.

Nothing to worry about, it's just kids at the age of 9 and below may not be interested in this kind of music. It's worth listening to though.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytherealdaniel March 4, 2017

Complicated Themes, Great Music!

Overall this is a great album that could be for all ages. There are a few expletives specifically in "Money" and "Speak to Me." I say it "could be for all ages" because it is good music but younger listeners may not understand some of the songs themes. They aren't inappropriate, just very complicated, talking about very serious things such as the evil that can come from money (Money), death and our lives (Great Gig in the Sky, Time), and some influenced by actual experiences. Once someone is around 13 they should better understand these themes and have a greater enjoyment listening to this album.

Kid, 11 years old September 2, 2016

Pink Floyd

The dark side of the moon is a great album. The language isn't that bad. The only language is 'bulls--t' and a very quite 'I'm f--king mad' but younger kids probably wouldn't get it. Over all it's a great 70's album, must hear
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ September 1, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamspore February 17, 2015

Greatest album ever!!!

Dark Side of the Moon is the greatest album ever! It has tons of awesome songs like Time, Money, Us and Them and Brain Damage. It is more mature music also and is about greed, war, death, and insanity. It has a few swear words. On Money, there is one bulls***. On Speak to Me there is an f-word in the spoken dialogue but it is very quiet and usually cannot be heard well.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDauntless December 26, 2014

Great music!!!

I have loved pink floyd ever since my dad started playing their music on car rides. The dark side of the moon is probably their greatest album, just barely winning against the wall, animals, and wish you were here. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that likes to hear amazing things (I would hope that everyone does).
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe February 24, 2013

Fine album

"Money" was the very first song I heard from this album. I heard it play on the radio one day and I heard something get cut out. I listened to it and heard the uncensored lyrics: "Don't give me that do goody good bulls**t". When I heard "Brain Damage" lyrics: "The lunatic is in my head / The lunatic is in my head / You raise the blade, you make the change / You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane / You lock the door / And throw away the key / And there's someone in my head, but it's not me / And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear / You shout and no one seems to hear / And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes / I'll see you on the dark side of the moon", I realized it referred to brain surgery. Luckily, it didn't frighten me as it would frighten those who listen to this album. Also, at the start of "Speak To Me/Breathe" we hear this piece of spoken dialogue: "I've been mad for f**king years, absolutely years, been over the edge for yonks, been working me buns off for bands..." I used the songs "Money", "Time" and "Brain Damage" in three of my YouTube videos. Plus, "On The Run", "The Great Gig In The Sky" and "Any Color You Like" are instrumental. And the song "Us and Them" contain these lyrics: "Me and you / God only knows it's not what we would choose to do"

Teen, 16 years old Written byTheBeatlesPkmnFan42 February 18, 2013

Everyone needs to hear this.

I will start by saying this: I am a 16 year old Pink Floyd fan, who had even gotten the opportunity to go to Roger Water's The Wall tour back in May. That said, it should be obvious what I think of this album; I love it. While it isn't my favorite Floyd album like it seems to be with most Floyd fans, I still love it, as with the band's other 13 albums. Every track is absolutely amazing. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't be good for kids is the use of the word "bull****" in the song "Money". Apart from that, there's nothing bad in this album.

I give it a 9/10, only because there are a few more Floyd albums I love even more.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPixie Fiyr August 8, 2012

One of the best albums.

Excellent album! Great music, great band. A few sketchy lyrics here and there but mostly the words are hard to understand or are waist deep in metaphors, so it shouldn't be an issue at all. Two or three cuss words but not graphic at all. Should be fine for 11+ unless they're really, REALLY immature.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymongofa June 22, 2012

Classic psychadelia

One of the best albums of all time. There is so much to love about this album, from the hypnotic keyboarding of On the Run, to the funky bassline in Money. The fact that is more mature music, makes this more appreciated by teens and adults