All member reviews for The Suburbs

Indie-rock is all about being yourself; OK for older kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN February 3, 2011

Great song, sounds even better when you're watching the video, gives it the whole effect.

Just to let the reader know early on, I'm not just rating the "The Suburbs" I'm also rating the video for it that you can watch on YouTube. Nothing in the song is bad, but the video is a little violent at times. Teens around 15 or 16 shoot what look to me like paintball or pellet guns (I'm no gun expert so don't give me crap). A relationship between 2 of the teens is also shown at different points (nothing nasty), and different forms of law enforcement are shown searching people's homes and taking some people away. I believe this was meant to show an aspect of what it's like to live in a war zone. Great song, but the video may be a little iffy depending on how you view it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDogMediaLover August 13, 2014

The Suburbs is Superb

The Suburbs is a coming-of-age album with no inappropriate content just positive message. Wait till 13, and you'll get the most out of it, but if you're feeling sad and misunderstood, no matter what age, this is a go-to. Here's my track by track: 1= awful 2= filler 3= good 4= awesome 5= the best The Suburbs 5 A great opener with an incredibly catchy chorus! Ready To Start 4.5 Another awesome single, with pop sensibility. Modern Man 3 Not my favorite, but it's a nice mood piece. Rococo 3.5 Nice dynamics & lyrics, but a little repetitive. Empty Room 5 Stunning orchestral transition dabbles in genres. City of No Children 3.5 A cool rocker, though not quite as memorable as the others. Half Light One 4 Lush and orchestral with long-awaited female singing. Half Light Two 4.5 An album highlight, with a nice brooding mood. Wasting Hours 3 It works well on the album, but on it's own it's pretty average. Deep Blue 4 Reminiscent of "Ready To Start" the album begins to evolve. We Used To Wait 5 A shining epic, that isn't afraid to be darker. The Sprawl One 4.5 Yet again, a brilliant and concise mood piece. The Sprawl Two 5 My favorite song, it sparkles with optimistic techno glory. I'm not counting The Suburbs (Continued), as it's a reprise, but if I did it's a 5, because it closes the album well. I gave it a 4, because Common Sense didn't have 4.5. And I only have given 4 albums a 5, so no albums earn 5. Not even this lush coming-of-age classic.
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2012

Arcade Fire

An amazing album by indie rock band, Arcade Fire. I am disappointed that no-one really listens to this music, it is pure indie amazingness. Just as good as Funeral and Neon Bible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheironichipster June 23, 2012

The Suburbs- indie rock greatness.

The Suburbs is a fantastic album from Canadian indie rock group Arcade Fire. I've been listening to Arcade Fire for quite a long time, pretty much since their first album. While The Suburbs is by far not their best album, it's still pretty darn good. The songs in this album almost have a bit of a Neil Young sound to them, but each song have different sounds and almost different genres to them. Some songs have more of a rock sound to them and some are almost electro-pop-rock (If that's even a genre) sound to them. If you want your kids to experience REAL music not horrible, auto tuned, stuff like LMFAO, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, etc... then give em' this album!
Teen, 13 years old Written by Alice July 12, 2011

Great Album by an Amazing Band

First off, let me just say that The Arcade Fire is one of my favorite bands ever, and that if you're reading this review, then you're probably considering buying this album. If the answer to that statement is yes, then by all means, do yourself a favor and go get a copy. (As well as The Arcade Fire's other two CDs, which are also brilliant.) If you're not entirely sure, well, just know that the songs are beautifully lyrical and very unique. Also, The Suburbs won Best Album at the 2010 Grammy Awards. Sounds promising, right? You bet it is. There isn't any profanity or sexual references, but the reason I rated it on for 8 is because there some of the meanings of the songs might go over the heads of little kids or confuse them. But still, this is a must have for Arcade Fire fans, indie rockers, music lovers, or people who are tired of all the annoying, auto-tuned, bubblegum music that's been on the radio for the past few years.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySubterranianHom... January 8, 2011

For any other indie band, this would be a "good" album. But this is Arcade Fire. Fortunately, there are some original ideas and positive messages still found on this album, and it is probably the safest cd for the young ones as far as this band. Win basically spends the album mourning the state of his tired, stereotyped suburban parent self (unfortunately, he doesn't do that great a job capturing the character, he is after all a rock star) and has keen observations about the fake idols of a life tied to getting by. The music is good and sometimes great (the far superior songs are Sprawl II, Empty Room, Suburban War, and both Half-Light songs) with a basic rock sound that shines brightest the more it wanders into other genres. However, if you're reading this, and you don't have a thing by the Arcade Fire, drop everything and get Funeral, perhaps the most beautiful album I personally have heard. Trust me, you won't regret your decision.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process December 19, 2010

Not their best, but still good.

Neon Bible is the best, but this one is still good. However, this one doesn't have the same power and intensity that made me like the band. The album doesn't really grab my attention as much, but it's still good music. Very lyrical.