All member reviews for Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Dark power-punk is violent but also makes teens think.

Adult Written byJacq426 March 31, 2011

This Band Saves Life.

Here's the thing you have to understand about MCR: if you love them, and trust me...my love for them is near utter devotion, then you know that their message is not about death and blood soaked revenge and violence: it's about finding hope even in the darkest situations. Ask any devote fan of MCR and they will tell you: this band saved their life. It held their hand during their darkest hours and told them to just hold on a little bit longer. That's the real MCR message.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byConcernedDad27 March 28, 2010

Perfect for the Scene/Emo group.

Yeah, the lyrics can be obscene and if your too simpleminded to see past the lyrics, then this is a very frightening cd of suicide and death, something you don't want your kid to listen to. But these are teenagers. If they're listening to this band, they're most likely not trying to fit in. They're dealing with life in their own way. They like this kind of music because its never talked about. I mean, when was the last time you went up to your spouse and said "Lets talk about suicide." It just doesn't happen. And thats what makes My Chemical Romance such a great band. When teens are depressed, they don't want to sit there and listen to "Pocket full of sunshine;'' They'd rather empty their emotions while listening to "I'm Not Okay, or Helena." All in all, this is an amazing album by an outstanding artist.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVenganza August 29, 2010

Honestly?

You've got to be joking. 17+? This band is absolutely amazing. Compared to the typical sex filled Z100 songs, I'm really horrified at the rating. Come on.
Adult Written byTheMusicGuru August 1, 2010

Perfect for all ages

"Parents need to know that nearly all of the material on this record romanticizes killing, suicide, and going down in flames with guns ablaze. The cover is representative of the content, showing blood-splashed lovers. My Chemical Romance can make violence and funeral homes seem sexy, especially to teenagers. Stories often revolve around Bonnie and Clyde-type themes. The lyrics are definitely too much for tweens and young teens. There's also cursing in four or five songs for dramatic effect." This is an invalid reveiw of "My Chemical Romance" for several reasons. #1-The suicide factor in this review shows that said band displays killing yourself as "Cool or a Way out" When if Tony Hicks had listened to their songs and understood them would come to find that he is talking about how Suicide is NOT a way out and how it effects everyone around you. #2 The "Blood Splashed Lovers" is a methaphor you idiot showing that Not even death can seperate those you love and care about -.- #3 " violence and funeral homes seem sexy" this is invaild. On the grounds of your perspective is demtened if you think this is true then there is something wrong with you.... seeing as they never once say anything close to thise abstract view you have on them. I rest my case Tony Hicks you are a complete idiot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byowenator1234 May 8, 2011

FRIGGEN AMAZING!!!!!

its an amazing album, definitly worth buying, as long as there are no young children around. It has references to depression, suicide, and is slightly disturbing when the lyrics are looked over and de-"metaphorized". The lead singer and frontman started the band BECAUSE he had witnessed 9-11, and this may explain the messed up lyrics. Uses f--k sparsely, and s--t once, but is great music compared to J----- B-----.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyoutube_and_bands973 July 20, 2015

Doesn't Romanticize Suicide

First of all, this album doesn't romanticize suicide. The song Cemetery Drive is an anti suicide song. "They found you on the bathroom floor" talks about finding the suicide victim, and is followed immediately by "I miss you, I miss you so far," making suicide out to be a negative thing. However, the album can get a bit dark, considering it was inspired by the loss of lead singer Gerard Way and bassist Mikey Way's grandmother, Elena, someone both boys were very close to. The album does include cursing, death, and some sex, but I believe it's fine for teenagers and mature younger kids (Personally, I started listening when I was 12, almost 13, but I would have been fine listening as young as 10, and wish I had so I could have seen them live before the breakup.) Songs like "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" are relatable to most teenagers, and can make you feel less alone, and even happier. It's helped me when I've been angry, sad, or even just happy. I also don't 100% agree that they romanticize violence, in The Ghost of You music video, it shows the members going into war like the intro to Saving Private Ryan, and Mikey Way (the bassist) ends up dying, and Gerard Way (lead singer) is held back as he cries to reach his brother. It's deep stuff, but doesn't romanticize violence much. Some parts of the story arguably do, and some songs, (Especially "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison") include some sexual references, but honestly almost all music these days does, and I'd rather listen to, and have my future listen to something with cursing, violence, or sexual references with meaning, than sexual music without, especially if it will help with their emotions.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byisabelleii December 28, 2014

My Chemical Romance isn't BAD for kids

I'm sick of these parents thinking their children are to fragile to listen to music. If you knew everything your children did you wouldn't be so upset over a violent song. Are you really so stupid that you have to talk about what violence has to do with romance? This is a punk band. They probably thought of their name when they were drunk. The world isn't just flowers and sunshine. One of their songs names is "The World is Ugly but You're Beautiful" if that isn't a good message I don't know what is.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPunkchick1061 February 23, 2012

WTF???

WAY not as dark as The Black Parade!! This band IS F--KING AWESOME, AND IT SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!! Best band on the planet in my opinion. <3 MCR
Teen, 14 years old Written byforeverdisenchanted February 19, 2012
anyone who says on for 17 and up, is retarded. I have listened to MCR since i was 10 and i fell in love with them off of the song "Helena' written for the lead singer's (gerard way's) late grandmother. I will NEVER stop listening to MCR and I think that everyone should have this cd on their playlist. <3 one more point i would like to observe is that the review says: "Parents need to know that nearly all of the material on this record romanticizes killing, suicide, and going down in flames with guns ablaze. The cover is representative of the content, showing blood-splashed lovers." WTH WAS TONY HICKS THINKING?!?!?!?! the blood splashed lovers represent the sense that true love will last through whatever happens, thick and thin, even death. im sorry but tony has obviously not listened to MCR
Adult Written byAltrum May 2, 2010
This was one of my favorite CDs. All I have to say is: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! This is very clean. Now, the reason why I put 13+ is because if a kindergartener starts to talk about suicide, in any way, as in: "What does suicide mean?" or "I think suicide is bad." then her teacher would call the cops, or give her a long talk. I am an honors student, smartest in my grade, and I think that Three Cheers is awesome. You don't become wildly depressed or suicidal from listining to stories about AVOIDING IT! After all, Gerard sings in Cemetary Drive, "Singing songs that make you slit your wrists, it isn't that much fun." He's saying, very clearly, DON'T DO IT! Back to the kindergartener. They like to repeat what they hear, unlike teens or tweens. So it would be no surprise if they got up in the middle of the room and started singing "I'm so dirty babe!" The teacher would call her parents. If she started to sing even further, "The sheets clean me off," then the teacher would deepen her suspicions that she's talking about sex. But she's not. She's talking about something she will never fully understand until she's ten. If a teen were to do the same thing, she'd be stared at, nothing more. Its like reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. I read that when I was 11. The violence is extreme, but its all about keeping that violence inside, and satisfying it through the book. Sure, you won't kill some one. But it helps you avoid it by seeing Johnny do it. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac isa very vulgar book, and gorey, but I hear and see worse on the bus. If your child can read JTHM, then s/he is ready for three cheers. Johnny is, like Three Cheers, not only about violence, but about the pain inside. TThe plot is that he lives in a house. He doesn't remember how he got into the house, doesn't remember moving in, he just remembers that he wasn't like this in the past. He finds himself suicidal, from the voices in his head, the Physco Doughboys. He finds himself going on killing sprees, wrought with guilt, but he never gets caught, even if he does it in the middle of the street. People who call the police never can get them to come. I won't spoil the end, but he has to keep painting his wall with blood to keep a certain something out. Then, he meets the Devil and God, and I won't tell you what happens. This is an excellent CD, for any openminded group of people. Its subtle, so you have to have all your brain cells to understand it. This CD is all about keeping all your hurt inside, and let it flow through your headphones, spilling it instead of using it.Your hurt is like the poison, and you can't keep it in your pocket. It might spill and poinson you. Let your poisons drip out, onto the CD cover, and your fine. There is nothing wrong with this. My mom hates it when I play this in the car, but otherwise, I'm perfectly fine. This has become a chain in a series of events. I started watching Invader ZIM, age three-six. I stopped watching Invader ZIM. I started watching it again, got hooked. I realized how innapropriate it was for kids. I looked up Invader ZIM's author. The author is the same guy who wrote Johnny, and I started reading that. I got into Clockwork Orange (don't ask). Then I felt all the CDs of MCR, the greatest band on Earth.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySlipknotsarah July 10, 2009

Great for all ages

17 and up? if you go with these ratings by the website creators I think their wrong. If they rate Metallica 14+ (i think) and thats devil worship, how could they rate mcr 17+? basically I listened to these guys when I was 7 and Im a normal happy person.
Parent Written byyesbecausefrerard September 2, 2015

This band has a great impact on people

MCR was formed out of boredom, and having people you love around. But it ended up saving so many lives, including lead singer (Gerard Way). Sure, there are many references to death, drugs, and alcohol, but they have a meaning. The meaning is usually about the addiction Gerard fell under, it referances those hard times. But does that mean he's encouraging the bands fans to fall under addiction? No. The messages behind they're songs are wonderful. And you can't take everything they say so literally, the songs are filled with metaphors. Let your kid have a little bit of freedom. Especially if they're going through hard times, maybe introduce this band into their lives. It really does saves lives. And I bet you'd rather have a living breathing child who loves MCR, than a dead child that never had the chance to hear the band's message because you were 'protecting' them.
Adult Written byJadika March 31, 2011

Perfect for teenagers!

This album is perfect for teenagers! Some teens depended on this album to get them through their young years. Though the messages can seem outwardly negative, the perspective of a teenager can vary greatly from that of an older parent. This album may just be what your teen needs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheartlessxsinner August 17, 2009

Seventeen and up?

Seventeen and up? What the heck? The dropped the f-bomb twice, and once it can't hardly be heard. I've been listening to them since I was like, eight, and other than having issues with depresssion, (from childhood deaths, not My Chem lyrics,) I'm perfectly fine. 'The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You,' does contain lyrics about killing oneself, but in the birdge he says, 'Pull the plug, but I'd like to learn your name. Holding on, I hope you do the same.' It's basically saying that they want that person to change their mind. And on the song 'Cemetery Drive,' in the second verse, it's incredibly hard to hear unless you have your headphones half in, but you hear him say, 'Don't do it,' a total of sixteen times, and they're saying that this album glamorizes suicide? It's about a guy trying to get his lover back. And the first song is about their grandma. I mean, come on! The second one is about teen pregnancy, third is a song about a short story called 'A Rose for Emily,' the fourth is about being in prison, the fifth is about being in high school, the sixth is about losing someone, the seventh, 'The Jetset Life is Gonna Kill You,' I already explained, the eighth is an interlude, the ninth is about feeling empathy, the tenth is a tribute to a Clint Eastwood movie, the eleventh is about revenge, yes, but also rising from your own ashes and standing up for yourself, the twelfth was also explained, and the thirteenth is about getting his love back and what he did to do so. Again, I mus say, seventeen and up?
Adult Written byHey there, Delilah April 9, 2008

Very powerful. Amazing lyrically and musically.

I admire this band very much.I bought this CD for myself, but when my daughter found it, she fell in love.It is inspiring, and it doesn't have too much language. I would recommend MCR to any tween or teen.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycoffeeaddict April 9, 2008

More than meets the eye

Don't take the other review seriously - they just look at the surface meaning. This CD is actually a story. It's about a man and a woman who were in love. However, they were in a tragic accident, and the man died. He went to hell, thinking his love was also dead. He was informed by the devil that she actually was alive, and if he brought him the souls of 1,000 evil men, he could be with his love again. The first track on this album was written for Gerard and Mikey Way's (vocals and bass) grandmother, so the meaning is turned into something more about loss and pain instead. It is not as bad as they make it seem, but there is a language issue. If your kids are mature enough to listen to the words, they'll be fine with the other content.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheworldisuglym8 June 9, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byXochrl June 3, 2016
I am appalled by the rating on this site. Go to Secondary School and then tell me what kids can't handle. This album is one of the most clever and beautiful I have ever listened to, and it has helped me and motivated me to continue living. There is a difference between mentioning suicide and violence and promoting it, and the theme of this whole album is based on the grief of losing someone and the bands general message is one of anti-suicide.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycanadian-vampire February 23, 2016

Makes me happy :)

Although the review says this album romanticizes death (or something like that), I want to let you know it does not, it simply addresses it many times. I've been a fan of My Chem for a while and the band is very anti violence/anti suicide. This album actually tells a story- it's about a man whose lover dies, and he tries to get her back. They also have a lot of meaning in the songs, many of which are applicable to real life. Helena is about the lead singer's grandmothers death, and is incorporated into the story. Parents, understand that this music DOES NOT make kids depressed!! I used to be very depressed to the point where I was suicidal but then I found My Chemical Romance. The songs had such an impact on me it pulled me out of my depressed state and I got help. I am now the happiest I've ever been thanks to My Chem! Listen to the black parade too (3rd album), especially Famous Last Words.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNightcoresongs4 February 5, 2016