All parent member reviews for Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Parent of a 13 year old Written byConcernedDad27 March 28, 2010

Perfect for the Scene/Emo group.

Yeah, the lyrics can be obscene and if your too simpleminded to see past the lyrics, then this is a very frightening cd of suicide and death, something you don't want your kid to listen to. But these are teenagers. If they're listening to this band, they're most likely not trying to fit in. They're dealing with life in their own way. They like this kind of music because its never talked about. I mean, when was the last time you went up to your spouse and said "Lets talk about suicide." It just doesn't happen. And thats what makes My Chemical Romance such a great band. When teens are depressed, they don't want to sit there and listen to "Pocket full of sunshine;'' They'd rather empty their emotions while listening to "I'm Not Okay, or Helena." All in all, this is an amazing album by an outstanding artist.
Adult Written byJacq426 March 31, 2011

This Band Saves Life.

Here's the thing you have to understand about MCR: if you love them, and trust me...my love for them is near utter devotion, then you know that their message is not about death and blood soaked revenge and violence: it's about finding hope even in the darkest situations. Ask any devote fan of MCR and they will tell you: this band saved their life. It held their hand during their darkest hours and told them to just hold on a little bit longer. That's the real MCR message.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byisabelleii December 28, 2014

My Chemical Romance isn't BAD for kids

I'm sick of these parents thinking their children are to fragile to listen to music. If you knew everything your children did you wouldn't be so upset over a violent song. Are you really so stupid that you have to talk about what violence has to do with romance? This is a punk band. They probably thought of their name when they were drunk. The world isn't just flowers and sunshine. One of their songs names is "The World is Ugly but You're Beautiful" if that isn't a good message I don't know what is.
Adult Written byJadika March 31, 2011

Perfect for teenagers!

This album is perfect for teenagers! Some teens depended on this album to get them through their young years. Though the messages can seem outwardly negative, the perspective of a teenager can vary greatly from that of an older parent. This album may just be what your teen needs.
Adult Written byAltrum May 2, 2010

This was one of my favorite CDs. All I have to say is: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! This is very clean. Now, the reason why I put 13+ is because if a kindergartener starts to talk about suicide, in any way, as in: "What does suicide mean?" or "I think suicide is bad." then her teacher would call the cops, or give her a long talk. I am an honors student, smartest in my grade, and I think that Three Cheers is awesome. You don't become wildly depressed or suicidal from listining to stories about AVOIDING IT! After all, Gerard sings in Cemetary Drive, "Singing songs that make you slit your wrists, it isn't that much fun." He's saying, very clearly, DON'T DO IT! Back to the kindergartener. They like to repeat what they hear, unlike teens or tweens. So it would be no surprise if they got up in the middle of the room and started singing "I'm so dirty babe!" The teacher would call her parents. If she started to sing even further, "The sheets clean me off," then the teacher would deepen her suspicions that she's talking about sex. But she's not. She's talking about something she will never fully understand until she's ten. If a teen were to do the same thing, she'd be stared at, nothing more. Its like reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. I read that when I was 11. The violence is extreme, but its all about keeping that violence inside, and satisfying it through the book. Sure, you won't kill some one. But it helps you avoid it by seeing Johnny do it. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac isa very vulgar book, and gorey, but I hear and see worse on the bus. If your child can read JTHM, then s/he is ready for three cheers. Johnny is, like Three Cheers, not only about violence, but about the pain inside. TThe plot is that he lives in a house. He doesn't remember how he got into the house, doesn't remember moving in, he just remembers that he wasn't like this in the past. He finds himself suicidal, from the voices in his head, the Physco Doughboys. He finds himself going on killing sprees, wrought with guilt, but he never gets caught, even if he does it in the middle of the street. People who call the police never can get them to come. I won't spoil the end, but he has to keep painting his wall with blood to keep a certain something out. Then, he meets the Devil and God, and I won't tell you what happens. This is an excellent CD, for any openminded group of people. Its subtle, so you have to have all your brain cells to understand it. This CD is all about keeping all your hurt inside, and let it flow through your headphones, spilling it instead of using it.Your hurt is like the poison, and you can't keep it in your pocket. It might spill and poinson you. Let your poisons drip out, onto the CD cover, and your fine. There is nothing wrong with this. My mom hates it when I play this in the car, but otherwise, I'm perfectly fine. This has become a chain in a series of events. I started watching Invader ZIM, age three-six. I stopped watching Invader ZIM. I started watching it again, got hooked. I realized how innapropriate it was for kids. I looked up Invader ZIM's author. The author is the same guy who wrote Johnny, and I started reading that. I got into Clockwork Orange (don't ask). Then I felt all the CDs of MCR, the greatest band on Earth.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 16 year old Written byBeverleyAnne December 20, 2014

Real music with meaning!

My Chemical Romance are extremely talented. All the songs are written from the heart and have meaning. I would much rather my children put up with a couple of few swearwords in some meaningful lyrics than them listening to One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer.
Adult Written byRosie9292 January 11, 2012

This Band Saved My Life

This whole album is about getting through hard times and not being afraid of living. In my experience, My Chemical Romance are great role models. They're all guys who were able to get through tough times and are putting their bad experiences to good use in this album by showing that you can get through anything if you're strong and hold out long enough. It's a great album, and I would definitely let my kids listen to this.
Adult Written byVelvet Beanie January 11, 2012

In defense of this CD & My Chemical Romance...

Personally, this is my favorite band. I'm 18 years old, about to be 19 and honestly, if this CD uses profanity, suicide, and/or violence, well I think it's okay for kids 15 & up. Besides, the CD itself has the label of "parents guidance" so people can't really complain about it. You've been warned right there. Besides, they're just songs, not murder weapons. Kids like them at their young age because they're always looking for something to relate to, to understand them.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by301TheAmazingSo... March 22, 2011

Romanticizing suicide?

None of what Tony Hicks said is true. This music has been a great outlet for kids and teens who are dealing with hard times. People don't hear this music and decide that suicide is fun, they relate to it and feel better knowing that they aren't alone. Very good, though I personally prefer their 2002 album.
Parent of a 1, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo October 9, 2010

NOT for tweens, but a great option for teens

This has lots of violent imagery, and it's pretty anti-society too. Some songs contain strong language. This is not for tweens; it's simply too disturbing. But for teens, this is a great album. Highlights are Give 'Em Hell Kid, Ghost Of You, and To The End
Adult Written byTheMusicGuru August 1, 2010

Perfect for all ages

"Parents need to know that nearly all of the material on this record romanticizes killing, suicide, and going down in flames with guns ablaze. The cover is representative of the content, showing blood-splashed lovers. My Chemical Romance can make violence and funeral homes seem sexy, especially to teenagers. Stories often revolve around Bonnie and Clyde-type themes. The lyrics are definitely too much for tweens and young teens. There's also cursing in four or five songs for dramatic effect." This is an invalid reveiw of "My Chemical Romance" for several reasons. #1-The suicide factor in this review shows that said band displays killing yourself as "Cool or a Way out" When if Tony Hicks had listened to their songs and understood them would come to find that he is talking about how Suicide is NOT a way out and how it effects everyone around you. #2 The "Blood Splashed Lovers" is a methaphor you idiot showing that Not even death can seperate those you love and care about -.- #3 " violence and funeral homes seem sexy" this is invaild. On the grounds of your perspective is demtened if you think this is true then there is something wrong with you.... seeing as they never once say anything close to thise abstract view you have on them. I rest my case Tony Hicks you are a complete idiot.
Adult Written byMaGGoT4LIFE April 9, 2008

omg!!!!!!

omg!! THIS IS SUCH A WICKED SICK CD!! ITS ALMOST AS GOOD AS THEY'RE FIRST ALBUM...BUT STILL...I TOTALLY ROCKS!!! HOW COULD YOU NOT BUY THIS CD?? GET IT GET IT GET IT!
Adult Written byHey there, Delilah April 9, 2008

Very powerful. Amazing lyrically and musically.

I admire this band very much.I bought this CD for myself, but when my daughter found it, she fell in love.It is inspiring, and it doesn't have too much language. I would recommend MCR to any tween or teen.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Great! but not for Young kids...

EVERY SINGLE TRACK IS AMAZING! Do NOT be turned off by the parental advisory label. They sware in three songs (I Never Told You What I Do For A Living, I'm Not O.k., and You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison). This CD is very bloody, andnot what a parent would listen to...but what any teen/ tween who also likes bands such as The Used, Silverstien, Panic At The Disco, and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus...This Cd is 1 of a kind...No other band has the same sound as this...