All teen and kid member reviews for Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Teen, 13 years old Written byVenganza August 29, 2010

Honestly?

You've got to be joking. 17+? This band is absolutely amazing. Compared to the typical sex filled Z100 songs, I'm really horrified at the rating. Come on.
Teen, 14 years old Written byowenator1234 May 8, 2011

FRIGGEN AMAZING!!!!!

its an amazing album, definitly worth buying, as long as there are no young children around. It has references to depression, suicide, and is slightly disturbing when the lyrics are looked over and de-"metaphorized". The lead singer and frontman started the band BECAUSE he had witnessed 9-11, and this may explain the messed up lyrics. Uses f--k sparsely, and s--t once, but is great music compared to J----- B-----.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyoutube_and_bands973 July 20, 2015

Doesn't Romanticize Suicide

First of all, this album doesn't romanticize suicide. The song Cemetery Drive is an anti suicide song. "They found you on the bathroom floor" talks about finding the suicide victim, and is followed immediately by "I miss you, I miss you so far," making suicide out to be a negative thing. However, the album can get a bit dark, considering it was inspired by the loss of lead singer Gerard Way and bassist Mikey Way's grandmother, Elena, someone both boys were very close to. The album does include cursing, death, and some sex, but I believe it's fine for teenagers and mature younger kids (Personally, I started listening when I was 12, almost 13, but I would have been fine listening as young as 10, and wish I had so I could have seen them live before the breakup.) Songs like "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" are relatable to most teenagers, and can make you feel less alone, and even happier. It's helped me when I've been angry, sad, or even just happy. I also don't 100% agree that they romanticize violence, in The Ghost of You music video, it shows the members going into war like the intro to Saving Private Ryan, and Mikey Way (the bassist) ends up dying, and Gerard Way (lead singer) is held back as he cries to reach his brother. It's deep stuff, but doesn't romanticize violence much. Some parts of the story arguably do, and some songs, (Especially "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison") include some sexual references, but honestly almost all music these days does, and I'd rather listen to, and have my future listen to something with cursing, violence, or sexual references with meaning, than sexual music without, especially if it will help with their emotions.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPunkchick1061 February 23, 2012

WTF???

WAY not as dark as The Black Parade!! This band IS F--KING AWESOME, AND IT SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!! Best band on the planet in my opinion. <3 MCR
Teen, 14 years old Written byforeverdisenchanted February 19, 2012
anyone who says on for 17 and up, is retarded. I have listened to MCR since i was 10 and i fell in love with them off of the song "Helena' written for the lead singer's (gerard way's) late grandmother. I will NEVER stop listening to MCR and I think that everyone should have this cd on their playlist. <3 one more point i would like to observe is that the review says: "Parents need to know that nearly all of the material on this record romanticizes killing, suicide, and going down in flames with guns ablaze. The cover is representative of the content, showing blood-splashed lovers." WTH WAS TONY HICKS THINKING?!?!?!?! the blood splashed lovers represent the sense that true love will last through whatever happens, thick and thin, even death. im sorry but tony has obviously not listened to MCR
Teen, 17 years old Written bySlipknotsarah July 10, 2009

Great for all ages

17 and up? if you go with these ratings by the website creators I think their wrong. If they rate Metallica 14+ (i think) and thats devil worship, how could they rate mcr 17+? basically I listened to these guys when I was 7 and Im a normal happy person.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysheep peep July 4, 2015

Listin before you judge

Whenever someone asks me about my music taste, MCR is one of the first bands I say. This comes as a shock to some because they get a bad reputation because people listen to there more dark songs (Bury me in black, Early sunsets over Monroevill ect.) and focus on that instead of the better ones (The ghost of you, Headfirst for halos ect.). my opinion: NEVER JUDGE AN ALBLUM BY ITS COVER
Teen, 16 years old Written byCyanide_Cola September 2, 2012

Great Album, but prepare and educate yourself first.

first things first: As much as I love this album, I would NOT recommend it to someone unfamiliar with MCR. If you're just getting into MCR, i suggest The Black Parade as an introduction. Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is dark, gritty, violent, and at times, disturbing. But the reason I enjoy this is because I where its coming from. To all you folks saying MCR glamorizes death and violence, well, that is WRONG. I think in order to make a fair judgement you must know the context of these songs. So first a little history lesson on Gerard Way. Way wanted to be a comic book writer, and in 2001 was an intern at Cartoon Network. CN's headquarters were located in NY City, and so one day on his way to work he happened to be passing by the World Trade Center as they were being attacked during 9/11. Witnessing this event traumatized Way and drove him into a HORRIBLE depression. At that point he gave up on art an turned to music as a coping mechanism. so he formed a band with his friends called My Chemical Romance. Now, as MCR is touring, Way is still struggling with his depression. when MCR comes back from touring, Way finds out that his grandmother, Elena Lee Rush, who he was very close to died while he was gone. Again, Way turned to music as a coping mechanism, and ended up writing the song "Helena", as his final goodbye to his grandmother, while "I'm Not Okay" he details a failed relationship from his high school days. Also, seeing as how Way is a fan of concept albums, or albums that have an over-arching story or theme. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge tells the story of a doomed couple, and the main theme is you guessed it, revenge. The album tells the story of a young couple madly in love who die tragically in a car accident. While the girlfriend goes off to Heaven, the boyfriend is sent to Hell. The boyfriend is so desperate to be with the girlfriend that he makes a deal with the Satan to become the devils servant, and he must claim the souls of 1000 evil men in order to earn a spot in Heaven with his girlfriend. Years pass as the BF is off killing people for Satan. Eventually he come across the Girlfriend, who it turns out survived the car crash and went on to meet a new man and probably got married. Satan lied to the boyfriend and manipulated him. So the couple rekindle their love, all the while the BF never telling the GF about his deal with Satan. Finally, the BF comes clean, and the GF is horrified and runs away, only to be killed by the cops who have found the BF for his murders and thing the GF is an accomplice. the last rack ends with the lines "They gave us two shots two the back of the head, and we're all dead now" implying the couple died, the morale of the story being that sometimes you need to be able to move on and accept what happens in life, and that revenge against anyone ultimately hurts yourself in the long run. Yes, its gritty and violent. No, I wouldn't recommend it to the young-uns. But is it a bad piece of music? NO. This album helped me cope IMMENSELY during a very dark time in my life. something happened to me that is similar (yet not as exciting) as the story of Sweet Cheers, and as a result can relate to the boyfriend being cheated and lied to and ultimately losing someone who means a lot to you. this relatibility is what saved me during a HORRIBLE depression, notably the songs "Helena", "Give Em Hell Kid", and "Thank You For the Venom"
Teen, 16 years old Written byGeorgiaS May 13, 2011

Love, Love, Love it!

Very anti-society? Oh come on! Society is screwed and My Chemical Romance are one of the few bands that get that. Because of how society is screwed, people find life incredibly hard and this album has helped me get through some tough times. This is one of the best albums I have heard, period. It doesn't romanticise death, it provides messages of support to fans who are facing challenges in their lives weather it be depression, or bullying. They are the best.
Teen, 16 years old Written byteamjacobgirl2.0 January 11, 2011

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fablous Killjoys

You guys are way too hard on My Chemical Romance. I haven't heard this album (not a big fan of their music) but it can't be bad enough to say ON 17+. That just doesn't seem fair.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheartlessxsinner August 17, 2009

Seventeen and up?

Seventeen and up? What the heck? The dropped the f-bomb twice, and once it can't hardly be heard. I've been listening to them since I was like, eight, and other than having issues with depresssion, (from childhood deaths, not My Chem lyrics,) I'm perfectly fine. 'The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You,' does contain lyrics about killing oneself, but in the birdge he says, 'Pull the plug, but I'd like to learn your name. Holding on, I hope you do the same.' It's basically saying that they want that person to change their mind. And on the song 'Cemetery Drive,' in the second verse, it's incredibly hard to hear unless you have your headphones half in, but you hear him say, 'Don't do it,' a total of sixteen times, and they're saying that this album glamorizes suicide? It's about a guy trying to get his lover back. And the first song is about their grandma. I mean, come on! The second one is about teen pregnancy, third is a song about a short story called 'A Rose for Emily,' the fourth is about being in prison, the fifth is about being in high school, the sixth is about losing someone, the seventh, 'The Jetset Life is Gonna Kill You,' I already explained, the eighth is an interlude, the ninth is about feeling empathy, the tenth is a tribute to a Clint Eastwood movie, the eleventh is about revenge, yes, but also rising from your own ashes and standing up for yourself, the twelfth was also explained, and the thirteenth is about getting his love back and what he did to do so. Again, I mus say, seventeen and up?
Teen, 14 years old Written bycoffeeaddict April 9, 2008

More than meets the eye

Don't take the other review seriously - they just look at the surface meaning. This CD is actually a story. It's about a man and a woman who were in love. However, they were in a tragic accident, and the man died. He went to hell, thinking his love was also dead. He was informed by the devil that she actually was alive, and if he brought him the souls of 1,000 evil men, he could be with his love again. The first track on this album was written for Gerard and Mikey Way's (vocals and bass) grandmother, so the meaning is turned into something more about loss and pain instead. It is not as bad as they make it seem, but there is a language issue. If your kids are mature enough to listen to the words, they'll be fine with the other content.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky0250 July 28, 2016

Great Album From A Band I Don't Normally Like

Personally I think this album is better than MCR's critically acclaimed "The Black Parade". It's heavier and more energetic which is what I like, it is nowhere near as sex minded as modern pop music (A genre that I hate, I'm normally a metal fan.) and it's shows the talent within each member of My Chemical Romance. The song "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us in Prison" is a highlight for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheworldisuglym8 June 9, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byXochrl June 3, 2016
I am appalled by the rating on this site. Go to Secondary School and then tell me what kids can't handle. This album is one of the most clever and beautiful I have ever listened to, and it has helped me and motivated me to continue living. There is a difference between mentioning suicide and violence and promoting it, and the theme of this whole album is based on the grief of losing someone and the bands general message is one of anti-suicide.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycanadian-vampire February 23, 2016

Makes me happy :)

Although the review says this album romanticizes death (or something like that), I want to let you know it does not, it simply addresses it many times. I've been a fan of My Chem for a while and the band is very anti violence/anti suicide. This album actually tells a story- it's about a man whose lover dies, and he tries to get her back. They also have a lot of meaning in the songs, many of which are applicable to real life. Helena is about the lead singer's grandmothers death, and is incorporated into the story. Parents, understand that this music DOES NOT make kids depressed!! I used to be very depressed to the point where I was suicidal but then I found My Chemical Romance. The songs had such an impact on me it pulled me out of my depressed state and I got help. I am now the happiest I've ever been thanks to My Chem! Listen to the black parade too (3rd album), especially Famous Last Words.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNightcoresongs4 February 5, 2016
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2015

great album!

People saying this album is for depressed people and emos you are PATHETIC! Just because this album talks about real life problems and not drugs,sex and money people think its horrible,dont listen to them. This band saved my life. This album is in no way innapropriate,it has a positive messege such as in 'Famous Last Words' it says "Im not afraid to keep on living,i am not afraid to walk this world alone." this band has saved many people and you should WANT you're kids to listen to it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnotherDarkHeart November 29, 2015

MCR Saved My Life- Great for people with depression, suicidal thoughts, and self harm

I started listening to this band when I was about 12, when my depression, suicidal thoughts, and self harm started getting really bad. Bands like MCR, BVB, and FOB made it easier for me to SURVIVE. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is a darker album, but it made me feel like I wasn't so alone. Parents, if your kid is listening to MCR, let them. It really, really helps.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIntrovertedPineTree July 9, 2015

Amazing Band

Honestly, though from the cover you may think otherwise, this album is fantastic. The music can be considered dark, and it may be, but that's the world. The world isn't sunshine and rainbows, and though a lot of us wish it was, it really isn't. Teenagers around the world are depressed. It happens. So for a band to acknowledge that sometimes you're really not okay (Like the song "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)") is helpful and can help you through every hard time. Even if you're a pretty much happy teenager but have a few rough days here and there, this entire album helps you let out your anger and sorrow and anything in between. Though there are a few f--- bombs here and there, overall an amazing band and album.