All member reviews for Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2015

LOVE

so i really like mcr and this is probably my favorite album. if you think your kid is old enough to listen to swears then sure let them. it depends on them. my opinion is this one of the best albums ive heard
Teen, 14 years old Written byowenator1234 May 8, 2011

FRIGGEN AMAZING!!!!!

its an amazing album, definitly worth buying, as long as there are no young children around. It has references to depression, suicide, and is slightly disturbing when the lyrics are looked over and de-"metaphorized". The lead singer and frontman started the band BECAUSE he had witnessed 9-11, and this may explain the messed up lyrics. Uses f--k sparsely, and s--t once, but is great music compared to J----- B-----.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVenganza August 29, 2010

Honestly?

You've got to be joking. 17+? This band is absolutely amazing. Compared to the typical sex filled Z100 songs, I'm really horrified at the rating. Come on.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheartlessxsinner August 17, 2009

Seventeen and up?

Seventeen and up? What the heck? The dropped the f-bomb twice, and once it can't hardly be heard. I've been listening to them since I was like, eight, and other than having issues with depresssion, (from childhood deaths, not My Chem lyrics,) I'm perfectly fine. 'The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You,' does contain lyrics about killing oneself, but in the birdge he says, 'Pull the plug, but I'd like to learn your name. Holding on, I hope you do the same.' It's basically saying that they want that person to change their mind. And on the song 'Cemetery Drive,' in the second verse, it's incredibly hard to hear unless you have your headphones half in, but you hear him say, 'Don't do it,' a total of sixteen times, and they're saying that this album glamorizes suicide? It's about a guy trying to get his lover back. And the first song is about their grandma. I mean, come on! The second one is about teen pregnancy, third is a song about a short story called 'A Rose for Emily,' the fourth is about being in prison, the fifth is about being in high school, the sixth is about losing someone, the seventh, 'The Jetset Life is Gonna Kill You,' I already explained, the eighth is an interlude, the ninth is about feeling empathy, the tenth is a tribute to a Clint Eastwood movie, the eleventh is about revenge, yes, but also rising from your own ashes and standing up for yourself, the twelfth was also explained, and the thirteenth is about getting his love back and what he did to do so. Again, I mus say, seventeen and up?
Teen, 17 years old Written bySlipknotsarah July 10, 2009

Great for all ages

17 and up? if you go with these ratings by the website creators I think their wrong. If they rate Metallica 14+ (i think) and thats devil worship, how could they rate mcr 17+? basically I listened to these guys when I was 7 and Im a normal happy person.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfilm geek March 29, 2015

So long and goodnight

Okay, so MCR is my favourite band of all time. They're music is thoughtful and deep, and it really makes you think. In the album Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, there are various different themes it covers: Funerals, death, suicide, being okay with not being okay, murder, prison, romance. This genre is not for everyone but I love it and so many others do as well. This type of music saves lives.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymywatercoolerromance February 22, 2015

"Romanticizing suicide?" I don't feel like this applies at all to the album. While the lyrics are very passionately upset, and there are violent lyrics, My Chemical Romance is in every way a band to save your life, not to end it. Definitely a great album, definitely great music. (I can't believe I just said that they save your life... I feel so cliche.)
Teen, 17 years old Written bykittydoompaws February 14, 2015

Lyrics with deep meaning

I am 13 years old and this album opened me up to MANY ideas (not about suicide or cutting). I love art and poetry and this inspired me. It got me thorough some rough patches in my life. The swearing in this album is not overused and is in appropriate content.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLuckyPennie January 22, 2015

Opposite of Emo

As a long time MCR fan, I will debate anyone who thinks that this band romanticizes suicide. In fact, many of the songs touch on what a horrible thing suicide is and the hurt you will cause your loved ones. The band has gone on record many times stating that they do NOT consider themselves "emo" because they DON'T endorse self harm or suicide. This album is thought-provoking, sad, meaningful, and sometimes just plain sassy, but it never tells listeners that suicide is the answer. This band saves lives.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustReallyHomestuck April 28, 2014

It's really powerful.

First off: forget what Tony Hicks said. This album isn't about suicide, it's about preventing it. Plus, this album is trying to put out a bigger message than the violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTinabina00 November 26, 2013

Really?

I am disappointed with the ratings. "My Chemical Romance can make violence and funeral homes seem sexy" -_- Yeah uh-huh. Funeral Homes. Seriously? I mean come on. Listen to the music, see what they really mean.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYoyoreo October 29, 2012

Not for tweens, but fine for younger teens.

The author of this review states that violence is romanticised too much in the album, while Romeo and Juliet, which I find romanticises it much more, receives a 13-14 rating. The CD does not endorse suicide or recommend it at all, it more speaks of it in a negative light. The song I'm Not Okay talks about facing up to bullies, and is one of my favourite My Chemical Romance songs. I agree that this isn't for tweens, and perhaps not for younger tweens, but most 14 year olds should be able to handle this material. Oh yeah and one more thing: No one, and I repeat NO ONE, finds funeral homes sexy.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCyanide_Cola September 2, 2012

Great Album, but prepare and educate yourself first.

first things first: As much as I love this album, I would NOT recommend it to someone unfamiliar with MCR. If you're just getting into MCR, i suggest The Black Parade as an introduction. Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge is dark, gritty, violent, and at times, disturbing. But the reason I enjoy this is because I where its coming from. To all you folks saying MCR glamorizes death and violence, well, that is WRONG. I think in order to make a fair judgement you must know the context of these songs. So first a little history lesson on Gerard Way. Way wanted to be a comic book writer, and in 2001 was an intern at Cartoon Network. CN's headquarters were located in NY City, and so one day on his way to work he happened to be passing by the World Trade Center as they were being attacked during 9/11. Witnessing this event traumatized Way and drove him into a HORRIBLE depression. At that point he gave up on art an turned to music as a coping mechanism. so he formed a band with his friends called My Chemical Romance. Now, as MCR is touring, Way is still struggling with his depression. when MCR comes back from touring, Way finds out that his grandmother, Elena Lee Rush, who he was very close to died while he was gone. Again, Way turned to music as a coping mechanism, and ended up writing the song "Helena", as his final goodbye to his grandmother, while "I'm Not Okay" he details a failed relationship from his high school days. Also, seeing as how Way is a fan of concept albums, or albums that have an over-arching story or theme. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge tells the story of a doomed couple, and the main theme is you guessed it, revenge. The album tells the story of a young couple madly in love who die tragically in a car accident. While the girlfriend goes off to Heaven, the boyfriend is sent to Hell. The boyfriend is so desperate to be with the girlfriend that he makes a deal with the Satan to become the devils servant, and he must claim the souls of 1000 evil men in order to earn a spot in Heaven with his girlfriend. Years pass as the BF is off killing people for Satan. Eventually he come across the Girlfriend, who it turns out survived the car crash and went on to meet a new man and probably got married. Satan lied to the boyfriend and manipulated him. So the couple rekindle their love, all the while the BF never telling the GF about his deal with Satan. Finally, the BF comes clean, and the GF is horrified and runs away, only to be killed by the cops who have found the BF for his murders and thing the GF is an accomplice. the last rack ends with the lines "They gave us two shots two the back of the head, and we're all dead now" implying the couple died, the morale of the story being that sometimes you need to be able to move on and accept what happens in life, and that revenge against anyone ultimately hurts yourself in the long run. Yes, its gritty and violent. No, I wouldn't recommend it to the young-uns. But is it a bad piece of music? NO. This album helped me cope IMMENSELY during a very dark time in my life. something happened to me that is similar (yet not as exciting) as the story of Sweet Cheers, and as a result can relate to the boyfriend being cheated and lied to and ultimately losing someone who means a lot to you. this relatibility is what saved me during a HORRIBLE depression, notably the songs "Helena", "Give Em Hell Kid", and "Thank You For the Venom"
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2012

Three Cheers: as depressing as it sounds?

You can try to pretend that My Chemical Romance are a corporate-run pop band, formed solely for poisoning your child's minds with dark, violent, and depressing themes and emotions. You could try, but you certainly wouldn't succeed. True, they're music is dark, but it is only the way they perceived the world as outsiders themselves. I certainly don't agree with your idea that this could be disturbing to sensitive, depressed kids. Most likely, it would be quite the opposite. I struggled with depression for a time, but I no longer do. The band Green Day, specifically the song Jesus of Suburbia pulled me out. I strongly believe that this album will do the same, if not better. Oh yeah, as for the language, it is explicit but infrequent, and CERTAINLY not worse than what twelve-year-olds hear at school on a regular basis. I know I hear worse everyday. Lastly, if your child is a guitar player, DEFINITELY get this album. there are some very fun riffs and solos. The solo from I'm Not Okay is especially addicting. Point is, there is no reason to protect middle-schoolers from dark music. It may even have a certain heeling property to those looking for hope, acceptance, or companionship.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykojimoto June 1, 2012

A bit dark, with little hope.

The album is very dark, with some dark themes. Suicide, homosexuality, soldiers dying at war, as a matter of a fact, the album is a "concept" album, meaning it follows along with a story that the band made up. The story just happens to be this: Two lovers kill each other in the dessert and go to hell. They meet the devil, and he says that the only way they can be reunited once again, is to return to earth and bring him the souls of 2,000 men. It is a bit dark, but i started listening to this when i was 13. Some of the songs are hopeful in the end, but very few. The hope in it is that it will give hurting kids peace and hope, knowing that people DO know what they are going through.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPunkchick1061 February 23, 2012

WTF???

WAY not as dark as The Black Parade!! This band IS F--KING AWESOME, AND IT SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!! Best band on the planet in my opinion. <3 MCR
Teen, 14 years old Written byforeverdisenchanted February 19, 2012

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

anyone who says on for 17 and up, is retarded. I have listened to MCR since i was 10 and i fell in love with them off of the song "Helena' written for the lead singer's (gerard way's) late grandmother. I will NEVER stop listening to MCR and I think that everyone should have this cd on their playlist. <3 one more point i would like to observe is that the review says: "Parents need to know that nearly all of the material on this record romanticizes killing, suicide, and going down in flames with guns ablaze. The cover is representative of the content, showing blood-splashed lovers." WTH WAS TONY HICKS THINKING?!?!?!?! the blood splashed lovers represent the sense that true love will last through whatever happens, thick and thin, even death. im sorry but tony has obviously not listened to MCR
Teen, 15 years old Written bythemoreyoubr0 January 11, 2012

go away mcrmy

anyways, for the record i am a my chemical romance fan (one of the few with common sense) and i first listened to this album when i was twelve. and i'm not trying to be like one of those obnoxious preachy mcrmy kids ("I WAS A DEPRESSED 10 YEAR OLD AND MCR STOPPED ME FROM COMMITING SUICIDE!!1!). it really just made an impact on me. not a negative impact. i'm 15 now and it's my favorite album ever, it's just amazing and beautiful in so many ways. just, wow okay it's just a completely perfect album. the 'violence' and 'language' or whatever isn't really even that big of an issue in it, god. it's an amazing album and that's pretty much it. and also i hate the mcrmy so know that i'm being genuine about it when i say that this album really has changed my life. in a good way. op.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJessica222 January 11, 2012

Seriously

My Chem isn't what you need to be looking out for, the 'MCRmy' is. Great band, ridiculous fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylikegetawayy January 11, 2012

You don't know anything so just shut up.

ok I've been listening to MCR since I'm 12 and I've never have any drinking, drugs, smoking or depression problems at all, they've helped me in so many ways, I can tell you I'm a happier and better person because of what they've teached me, I think you guys are overreacting, this is an amazing band and they are all really good and nice people, you don't know anything about this band at all.