All member reviews for "Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)" (CD Single)

Kid, 9 years old January 28, 2013

Watch your language, Macklemore!

Catchy but terrible for kids. He needs to watch his language. I don't get how curse words go with the theme of the song.
Parent Written bySam Donder September 12, 2013

Funny song has some language

This song is very funny, but has one or two lines with sexual content. If you buy the clean version this is a great song for younger teens because it says that you can be cool if your going to a thrift shop and you don't need to buy new clothes.
Kid, 9 years old August 14, 2013

Don't let your kids listen to the explicit version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The song is catchy me and my friends have listened to the explicit version and it is good but Macklemore swears in the song because he is trying to sell records but there is too much of the f word b word and c word
Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2013

This is really awesome!!!

*Positive Messages: This song tells young kids and even teens that thrift shops are just as good as other stores. You don't need $50 for a shirt. * *Sexy Stuff: It talks slightly about "you know what" but I just yesterday realized it.* *Language: There is an infinite number of bad words in this song. But don't let your hopes up. The radio version and clean version are completely appropriate.* * Consumerism: They mention goodwill but that's pretty much it. * * Alcohol: The music video shows a party scene where a bar is found but it not noticeable enough to worry about it. *
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2013

Thrift Shop [ I love this song ]

Well it's not something you want your kids to go around singing but...this is quite catchy and enjoyable. It also tells kids you don't need name-brand clothing like Gucci. It does have some language though. It's overall good for kids 12+ It's pretty funny
Parent Written bydavidrox February 3, 2013

Great!

A great song, with lots of swearing and sex references. very catchy, no good messages, but not a lot of bad messages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNancy Drew 13 October 25, 2013

Catchy Rap song

The language isn't worse than what kids hear in middle school and you can buy the clean version with all of the strong words edited out
Teen, 17 years old Written byCandylove1o1 March 1, 2013

Why it's fine for kids to listen to

I love this song and I think during this age 10-12 they understand the "bad words". However the way they use the words aren't in a bad way. If parents are concerned with the words they can always only allow the clean version where the words are blocked out. My little sister showed me the video and there was nothing bad in the video. Macklemore tells us how shopping at thrift shops aren't bad it's fine to shop at Thrift shops no matter who you are. I think the age should be around 12+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLuigi755 February 12, 2013

Too much @%£!ing language!

The song is kinda good, BUT don't let your kids hear the version with F**K and C**K repeated. They can listen to it IN THE CAR with the radio edit on though.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybscgirl February 9, 2013

Thrift Shop

its very catchy but very iffy in some parts
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2013

Incredibly Catchy

Although this certain isn't a "clean" song (and if you care so much about the amount of swearing, there IS a clean version), I love it! Maybe it's just the insane catchy-ness of the lyrics, but I can't stop singing it. I'm in 6th grade myself, and everyone in class has heard "Thrift Shop", and enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, the use of profanity can be a bit surprsing, but Macklemore has become one of my favorite rappers. And please, before you go hating Macklemore because this one song, listen to his other music! Some of my favorites from him are "Wings" and "Otherside", both with beautiful music and quite meaningful lyrics. "Thrift Shop" does carry meaning, as well; basically, he's talking about how people spend so much on expensive, name-brand clothing and how ridiculous that can be. If you don't like this song, then hey, that's your opinion. But I LOVE Thrift Shop!
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2013

love this song!

I love this song! it will make kids want to shop at thrift stores RATHER than spend lots of money and support big busineses. however, there is language, but you can get the clean version which is just as awesome as the explicit version!
Teen, 13 years old Written byILikeReviewingThings March 29, 2015

Language!!!

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's hit Thrift Shop is very dirty. Sh*t, f*ck, and and much more is featured. This song is just plain innapropiate so MATURE TEENS ONLY!!! Macklemore shush, you're ruining childhood!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAllCanadian February 9, 2015

It's a good song

Positive Messages: 2/5 Positive Role Models: 2/5 Swearing: 5/5 Violence: 0/5 Drinking,Drugs: 2/5 Consumerism: 1/5
Teen, 16 years old Written bythatintrestingirl December 5, 2014

This is one of my all time favorite songs, it has a really good message. My super cool dad introduced this song to me and little sib, its a family favorite, my mom sings the corus when ever she is in her big faux fur coat from goodwill. there are quite a few Fbonms and sextual remarks, but its really not that bad. I think that kids even as young as 10 could handle it, if they knew the fword, the sex stuff might blow over there heads. ps the music video is the bomb
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew October 7, 2014

Nice song but plenty of swearing

Kid, 10 years old July 10, 2014

Catchy song with profanity.

Thrift Shop is a fun song but has strong language and sexual innuendo.
Kid, 10 years old June 22, 2014

Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)

Okay, the swearing might be a problem for other parents it uses the c*ck, f*cking/f*ck frequently, s*it 2 times, a*s, damn, hell, & hella but other than that the song is great, but one other kid or aduld (IDK) but they said it has some sexual things in it like up in her skirt, so I looked at the lyrics online and its actually "up in her stuntin'" but for other moms/dads and you don't want you kids listening to thrift shop there is a clean version of the album on iTunes, and in stores, if its in stores look at the label that says "The Heist Edited" I'm not really sure about the label but it shouldn't say explicit on the edited one on iTunes there is a clean album, unlike the explicit album it will not have a "E" for explicit by the album name, you also should know the clean version keeps 3 swear words that you still might think are not appropriate for your child,(damn, hella, & hell) hella is used frequently but I personally don't think damn, hella, & hell are that bad of swear words but other kids/parents might think differently, oh also in the clean/explicit it also has piss in it. But that is just my opinion of the song.
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

Get the edited version

I have the edited version, and it skips over the bad words.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJayLikesCSM January 5, 2014

Not for kids unless they are EXTREMELY mature.

it is an okay song but the main problem is swearing. It has one part where it says "this is f*cking awesome" which is innappropriate. I can't believe my 8 year old cousin listens to this song full of swears and crap. Not appropriate.