All member reviews for "We Are Young" (CD Single)

Drinking, drugs in synth-pop party anthem.

Adult Written bymusic fan2.0 March 18, 2012

excuse me

excuse me but i happen to be a young adult myself and can not get this song out of my head and i see nothing wrong with it what is the problem? also saw the music video it is great as well so why all the big fuss?
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatherineisobel March 25, 2012

Look for a deeper meaning

This song is not about drugs, or sex, or commercialism. It holds a deeper meaning. If you truly listen to the lyrics, it's about a young man going through life. Even the tone matches his struggles. As it goes from a quiet, and unsure young adult, to a confident adult, to a withering old man. The lyrics such as "Now our friends are back." suggests aging, "I found someone to carry me home" suggests marriage, and the reference to an angel choir represents death.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2012

You're kidding me, right?

This is another amazing song from fun. I've loved them ever since I saw them as a dinky opening act for Panic! At the Disco on June 10th, 2011. I was quick to buy their first album, Aim and Ignite, and I was in love by the first song. Now, fun. is getting big, with We Are Young hitting the charts on iTunes and Billboard, and it's definitely clear why. We Are Young is a great song. It's one of my favorites off of their sophomore album, Some Nights. I must say, I'm VERY proud of fun. for getting this far. The band is made up of Nate Ruess, Andrew Dost, and Jack Antonoff, who are very mature and sweet. They are strongly against homophobia, and are very supportive of LBGT. I'm really excited to be seeing fun. in concert again with a few friends this summer. I love fun., and We Are Young is amazing. To the people who thinks this song glorifies sex and drugs, I'm sorry, but WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ALL OF THAT RAP CRAP (hey, that rhymes!) THAT OBSESSES OVER PARTYING AND HAVING SEX EVERY NIGHT. Yeah, it's about drinking, but just stop overreacting, okay?! Haha, sorry about that. I really needed to blow off some steam :).
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter January 10, 2014

Awesome song

This is my favorite song. There is one reference to getting high but, other than that, it's pretty clean.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTommyhead November 2, 2013

Too Violent

in the clip, people have a fight in the bar and one guy chokes and squeezez a guys neck to death (not that he really died but they made on him effects so he'll die in the clip). besides the violents, there is also lots of drugs and alcoholic drinks.
Adult Written byRosebud95 August 23, 2013

Annoyingly catchy

And it's not THAT memorable. Besides, there's talks about "getting higher than the Empire state"....yeah.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymunoru July 23, 2013

12 and up

Also has some mild innuendo. Drugs: My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State
Teen, 14 years old Written byIsabel14 March 6, 2013

Another bad song by fun.

I don't like this song either.
Kid, 12 years old February 27, 2013

A Great Song

This is a great song, but it's all about people who go to parties and drink alcohol and drugs. One line talks about people getting high.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybutterfliesrock February 10, 2013

Okay for middle school and above

While it may be true that the first verse of the song does reference drugs and alcohol, that is the only part of the song that is inappropriate at all. The song is catchy and fun and clean apart from two phrases in the entire song. I feel as though the age rating is a bit ridiculous, two vague statements should not make the age suggestion that high.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 February 1, 2013

Dumb indie song about drinking/drugs also has some violent references.

CSM hasn't pointed this out, but one part of the song suggests that the singer beat his girlfriend. "My lover she is waiting for me / just across the bar / My seats been taken by some sunglasses / asking 'bout a scar and / I know I gave it to you months ago / I know you're trying to forget" As much as I love independent music, this song is far from being the next "Feel Good Inc." because of it's unnecessary change in tempo and derivative, uninspired lyrics. The only reason this song is popular is because was performed by the Glee cast.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2013

We are young reminds me of the Rms Jane-Jen

I like this song a lot, I mean a lot. It brings back the memory of a Lego ship I made called the RMS Jane-Jen. I had to say goodbye to it and this song always reminds me of it. I think it is positive and awesome. This song means a lot to me I mean it's difficult to let go of something and not have any memories.
Parent Written byR.D. January 4, 2013

Great song, message often misinterpreted

It would please me highly if adults actually did some research about songs ACTUAL meanings before spewing out things like "It glorifies drugs & alcohol!". Just from general knowledge, the singer of the band (who wrote the song), proclaimed it was about "...the worst night of [his] life...". Knowing this, you can realize that the song does not glorify anything. It really makes drugs and alcohol seem quite unpleasant. We parents need to realize that drugs and alcohol are a part of the world; simply referencing them no longer means they are glorified within the lyrics. Talking to your children and helping them realize which is which is more important than censorship. Censorship will not teach your teen anything about the world. Teach them to make good choices, and stop being blinded by ignorance.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVenusGlow555 December 28, 2012

Nice, Fun, Matture song...

OK song... Good beat... A line saying "Getting higher than the empire state" speaking about drug use... Talking mostly about being drunk and carried home... " carry you home tonight, when the bar closes, when you feel like falling down''.......... Just think about it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJman11820 November 24, 2012

We are young review

This song has a catchy tune with great lyrics buttheonly two things parents have to worry about is the refence at the beging about drugs and the repeted menchoning of bars.
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2012

Depends

Lots of lines about drinking I mean LOTS. The first part of the song is about it. Also mentions "getting high". It's up to the parents if they want their kids listening to a song talking about drugs.
Kid, 11 years old September 4, 2012

great song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT!!!! Fell in love with it when I was ten, really only the beginning has a big reference to alcohol and them music video features in slow motion drunk people acting drunk. we have all seen that before.
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2012

Common Sense Media sucks

Bla bla bla is all I can hear when I read common sense media talking. All the good songs csm reviews they alaways say its bad but the crappy songs get all the oh its so good for kids blaaaah. They should csm down.
Adult Written byGigi47 August 8, 2012

People Looking at Drugs Miss Point of Song

Yes, there are some references to getting high and drinking, but the references are treated in a very neutral way that I don't think would encourage anyone to do them. The important part of this song is that it is very sinceare, and that the emotions of the band can be felt by anyone who stops to listen to it. The song isn't about drugs or bars or partying, it's about love and finding shards of optimism where there shouldn't be, picking up and repairing relationships, begging for forgiveness when maybe you don't deserve it, and hoping with all your heart that someone out there loves you enough to accept it. The drugs are a back drop. They are not important to the song, and therefore not important to the ratings, really. Kids should hear more songs like this just because of the realistic, visceral view of life that they can give them, and listing to a song like this will benefit them more than hearing a few drug references could ever hurt them.
Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2012

Off for kids 13 under

Sex (G)- Nothing much. Drugs (R)- The whole song is about getting high.