Zero to Eight: Children's Media Use in America, 2013
- Key Finding 1: Young Kids' Mobile Access Dramatically Higher
- Key Finding 2: Kids' Time on Mobile Devices Triples
- Key Finding 3: Time with "Traditional" Screen Media is Down
- Key Finding 4: TV Still Dominates Kids' Media Time
- Key Finding 5: Reduced but Persistent Mobile Digital Divide
- Key Finding 6: TV Widest for Education but Digital Growing
Children’s access to mobile media devices is dramatically higher than it was two years ago.
Among families with children age 8 and under, there has been a five-fold increase in ownership of tablet devices such as iPads, from 8% of all families in 2011 to 40% in 2013. The percent of children with access to some type of “smart” mobile device at home (e.g., smartphone, tablet) has jumped from half (52%) to three-quarters (75%) of all children in just two years.