All member reviews for 16 and Pregnant

Teen pregnancy docu is more voyueristic than informative.

Teen, 15 years old Written byreviewgirl13 February 18, 2011

Junk that's not worth watching

MTV's "16 and Pregnant" isn't really reality. Yeah, it shows teenagers who are pregnant, but that's basically it. In fact, I saw on "People" magazine of the girls holding their babies while smiling and wearing stunning dresses. So this goes to show you that "reality" shows aren't really reality at all. These girls are rich. In the real world, you wouldn't be walking down the red carpet in a $6,000 dollar dress with a baby. You wouldn't be on the cover of an extremely popular magazine. You wouldn't have your own TV show, therefore you wouldn't get all that money to help take care of your child. In reality, this is what would REALLY happen: You'd become pregnant, your parents would be so angry at you for making such a stupid mistake, you'd go through an awful birth, you wouldn't be able to do anything or go anywhere because you have a baby now, you wouldn't have tons of money to buy fabulous clothes for you and your child, you wouldn't be on the cover of a magazine, you'd be absolutely miserable, you would have no one to help you take care of the baby besides your parents, you'd gain a ton of weight and wouldn't be able to fit into Aeropostale clothes anymore!! That's the truth and this show does not show this. It's too glamorous............
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 5, 2014

25+. This show will just promote teen/early pregnancy.

The reason why I said off for age 16 is, because, this show will actually promote teen/early pregnancy by showing these young girls on TV being pregnant and then having their kid on the show with them, this will just teach young girls to get rich and famous by having sexual intercourse and becoming pregnant at an early age. I would even say off for age 24, but, never mind under 20. If a girl between the ages of 20 - 24 become pregnant, they might not get on this show, but, they are still young and impressible and might get influenced by this horrible show. If a young girl under 25 has a child, in real reality, they will poor with no college education, because, they had to drop-out of high school or college to raise their child. Children who are born to young parents are more likely to drop-out of high school, become a young, single parent themselves, live in poverty, be incarcerated, have a low IQ, and, have emotional, behavior, and, learning problems. This show is so fake. If a 25 year old watches this show, at-least they should be mature enough to know this garbage is fake. This is one of the least shows I would ever recommend for a 16 year old girl. This show has been on the air since 2009 and still teen pregnancy is an epidemic. If this show was helping young girls, teen pregnancy would be reduced and it's not. Even when I was 16 I hated this show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byB_A_N December 11, 2011

Teenage mother myself

im 16 and have a baby. let me just say, all those who think your life is always miserable after having a kid as a teen, you are misguided. granted, many times it DOESNT work out. but seriously, saying that your going to drop out or never have a life or never be happy again, sorry for saying it, but thats freaking stupid. i take care of my baby when im not in school, and im going to go to college in town. me and my boyfriend have been together for years, and he never once backed out on me. we both love our son to death. BUT i will say this. i dont like the fact that this show makes teens famous for becoming pregnant. i will say that i dont think that sends a good message. on the other hand, it does show the consequences that most of the time DO happen to teenage mothers. but please dont think this is always the case. I love being a mother, and i wouldnt trade it for anything.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2010

I love the show!!

I Watch this show all the time, and I think it really gives a message about what happens when you have "Sex" As a teen and the consequences of being unprotected. The show says some swares, but many are bleeped out. Some of the episodes show the teens leaving there babie's with there moms to go out to party, and some make bad chooses. Anyone who is 11 to adults should watch this.
Adult Written byaquaA1992 March 28, 2012

ummm............

Even thought i have learned from this show. There are pros and cons. but honestly, this show has to go. They are purposly showing naive girls getting pregnant to reward them for their negitive behavior. Having a baby is supposed to be a wonderful thing when you are over 24 and you life is already set. These teens girls purposly get pregnant to be famous. It's sad because they want to make money off (like buying dresses, boob jobs, etc) of their kid instead of taking care of them or loving their baby. Some girls on this show seem responsible, but some girls not so much or at all. The worst thing is they whine about how pethetic their lives are. Certain ppl think sex is funny...Like one girl refuse to take any birth control for a lame excuse. Well you better think twice. People in general need to take sex seriously and it sucks for the child whose parents have to fight all of the time and struggle and take their anger out on them and have regrets. Not only these girls are throwing away their child/teen hood they are also elimiating part of their adult life as well. There are MAJOR issues in america that the world needs to think about. Give money to the people who are really struggling. Anyways these girls are making more and more teenage girls to become mothers at a super young age.
Adult Written byda1uenvy28 November 21, 2011

This show should be cancelled

16 and pregnant from my point of view is just telling teens to go and have babies so they can have their own really show, the first time i saw this show was in their first season i was 17 years old and i just thought what are they doing giving these kids a really show after they become pregnant, now is see magazines and celebrety news about these girls who became famous just by getting knocked up.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byfcr April 12, 2011

Bad Behavior

I believe that this show sends the wrong message. It rewards bad behavior with fame or infamy depending on your personal viewpoint.
Kid, 12 years old January 29, 2011

It's an awesome show! I'm loving Teen Mom 2 right now the best show ever! The story line is amazing and the babies are adorable!!! :D This show is very appropriate for pre teens like me. This show is so fun to watch MTV rocks!
Parent of a 15 year old Written bysfernandez21 April 20, 2010

16 &pregnant is about teenagers becoming parents and its a show and teaches us
Adult Written byDiamondDear November 11, 2013

Educational and Statistics

I think that this show is a good educational show. yes there's yelling and fighting and sometimes or most of the time, but that's what they are showing you the struggles they have to face everyday as a teenage mother. a lot of my friends are teen mothers and I could see a first hand look on teenage mothers and how they struggle. statistics says that ever since this show aired in 2009 a lot of teen pregnancy has declined and they are giving most credit because of this show. it freaks young girls out because they don't want that life for them and for their families and babies. so I believe this show is a good educational show for kids who are 10 and up because, there are kids having sex around that age like that girl who had a baby at 11 years old on Dr. Phil. so this show is a good educational show for most of these young kids, who think having sex is fun but not knowing what will happen just by having sex and unprotected sex.
Parent Written byAbbie Apple July 9, 2012

Their 15 minutes of fame

It seems to send mixed messages. The attempts to show the reality of children having children, but then puts these young parents/children in sort of celebrity light. As their friends seem in awe of them, and these young parents/children are relishing their 15 minutes of fame (thanks Andy Warhol) I find it disgusting and sad, that we seem to celebrate children having children..especially when birth control is sooooo easily available.
Adult Written byshell4you July 22, 2011

semi educational

I like this show as a drama and frankly it makes me feel better when i am having a bad day (health issues) i know this reasoning is bad but that's me. I do find it educational in small doses for pre-teens to older teens to let them know of the struggles faced when you have unsafe sex as a teen. I like many has sex as a teen but unlike most of these teens on the show i had safe sex, infact i understood about safe sex and that sex = babies from a young age and knew i didn't want a child stuck to my hip before i had my own life so i paid attention when my mom told me things, but for parents uncomfortable talking to their kids this can be a show to help bring up the topic of sex and safe sex and the repercussions of not being safe and the hard choices and sacrifices that come along with being a young parent.
Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2011

Amber Hits her boyfriend Garry infront of Daughter Leah but other then that nothing that bad happens.And they talk about Condoms and Birth control and if they used it during Sex and the term doing the ''Hokey Pokey'' are used once
Teen, 16 years old Written byZhaaZhar April 30, 2011

Coming from a 16 year old I don't think it sends the right message. It's makes it acceptable for girls of my age to become pregnant and have it glamorised all over television. It doesn't show that once you've had a child you can't be involved in your usual teenage activities in more or that juggling a child and education is hard. Well that's when ever I've watched it.
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2011

Good for girls who are getting the "talk", or for ordinary teens

There really isnt anything sexual except for that there is a 16 year old girl, pregnant. It has language. But if it is bad, it is beeped. Violence is not bad In some episodes it shows the birthing scene. No vaginal areas shown. Some consumerism because of the brands that they are using. Huggies, Abercrombie+Fitch-for clothing. No drugs, drinking, or smoking. It is a very good show to show the hardships of making the mistake of getting pregnant at a young age. It also shows how even when the evermost popular line comes along 'I will love you forever' they leave you when you become pregnant. Good show for girls when you are giving your girl the "talk" or for teens to show NOT to get pregnant at a young age. I would recommend it for anyone though. Some talk about sexual manor though.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybieber_fever55 August 23, 2010

Awesome For Teen Girls

16 And Pregnant is a perfect example of why NOT to get pregnant at a young age. It shows the life of different girls who got pregnant when they were 16 and how they are dealing with it. A lot of the girls have to face breaking up with their significant other due to the stress of having a baby. That part is informative, but also is too much cussing sometimes, especially with Amber and Gary. That's the ONLY negative, as the show is accurate, since it's a reality, in it's reasoning behind why 16 year olds shouldn't get preggo! :)
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygiggles0423 February 23, 2010

i love this show and so does my 2 year old daughter!! she thinks bently is cute lol im excited because the new season just started last tuesday!!! cant wait for this one(:
Parent Written bySpreadingWisdom137 May 27, 2014

ONE OF THE WORST SHOWS EVER MADE

HORRIBLE!! I wish I could go back in time and get a Law degree so I could find SOME WAY to SUE this show. It is not only detrimental to ANYONE watching it has absolutely no REALITY to it despite its propaganda. I cannot even put into words how annoyed I get with the STUPIDITY of these girls, families and MTV! Seriously, am I the only one here that knows the brain is not even fully developed until you are in your 20s (24+ to be exact)!!?? It is scientifically proven, not only this fact, but most importantly that the LAST part to become fully developed is the motor cortex, which is responsible for behavior, control, and awareness of consequences. So WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! These TEENS are not even physically (and mentally or emotionally) capable of making they're own decisions due to the inability to correctly estimate the consequences of they're actions…exhibit A is that they are pregnant at 16….and STILL MTV takes advantage of these girls' situations while giving a HORRIBLE example to other teens. Many of you may disagree but it has been scientifically proven that what you see or hear does affect how you think, so a young girl watching other young girls "growing up" all of a sudden, they will not consider the consequences, because the show does not do a great job at showing this…instead they focus on the girls' personal dramas and how they "mature"(in quotes because they truly don't, if they were mature they would not go live with another boy the same age and completely destroy they're youth because of some teen fantasy. Sadly, the excuse that its "for the baby" is utter crap, because if you were truly thinking about the baby and not yourself you would do what is TRULY best for the baby which is not being raised by someone who does not even have the mental capacity to make proper decisions.) Every show is the nearly the same concept and after watching many episodes trying to find SOME benefit in this, I have only the worst things to say about it. It gives a horrible example to kids, and the majority of these girls just want to use the baby as an excuse to: A) Keep boyfriend. B) A and leave the house (be "independent"). C) A, B, and be on the show. If you love your child, you will NEVER let them watch these shows, or if you do be with them pointing out what is so wrong with them, because I definitely found myself yelling at the screen, about every minute. MTV NEEDS TO TAKE THIS SHOW DOWN.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 10, 2012

16 and pregnant

Families can talk about the messages that the media sends about sex and sexual behavior. How do TV shows and movies tend to portray pregnant and/or sexually active teens? Are these portrayals realistic? What pressures do teens face when it comes to when it comes to having sex? Aside from pregnancy, what are some of the other consequences that teens face when they choose to engage in sexual activity? How about when they choose not to?
Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

Teaches teen why NOT to get pregnant

This show teaches why getting pregnant in high school is a bad idea, it doesn't in anyway glorify it. If a girl gets pregnant to be on the show then they're an idiot and it's not the show's fault. And to try to just ignore the issue of teen pregnancy won't make it go away, education is the best protection (after abstinence of course) to about teen pregnancy. There is some language to watch out for.