All parent member reviews for 7th Heaven

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

It's Gone Downhill

There's no way 7th Heaven should be TV-G anymore. The last 4 weeks have been about sex, and it is irresponsible to leave it as G rated and in the primetime TV slot. We used to watch it as a family, but not anymore. I watch it alone now, as an evening soap opera.
Adult Written bydancingbrady April 9, 2008

Great for kids

This show helps kids realize right from shows them the consequences for bad judgments and decisions. I let my siblings and child watch this show all the time.
Adult Written byAlis20 April 9, 2008

not for kids

I like this show, it is good. But it is not for kids at all. It talks about way too much sex,drugs, etc. no one under 16 should watch it
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bylcdm April 11, 2010

Not for tweens, unless you are prepared to explain

We've really enjoyed watching the show together on DVD, but the episodes we've come to are now discussing more information about sex than I would like my 8 year old thinking about right now. I had to tun one episode off. I know it goes back to good in the end, but the discussions wer too much for my 8 yr. old right now
Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

The most boring show on TV. It is like trying to make the Brady Bunch wholesome and having everyday clothes and troubles. So bad and so corny (corniness works for 50's shows but not here).
Adult Written bywahoosigma April 9, 2008

Not the tame show it once was

The 2005 fall season is much racier than years past and the topics being handled are much more sophisticated. It's as if the whole Camden clan when on summer vacation and got wild. While the show does attempt to focus on the real issues faced by families, it has become nothing more than a soap opera with fashionably dressed teens making lots of life mistakes and then going to church on sunday.
Adult Written byskvc April 9, 2008

Caution --

NOT a very realistic portrayal of a minister's family -- or any Christian family.
Adult Written byEthan511 July 14, 2014

not for younger kids

I really don't like this show. It's corny and unrealistic, like when the dad freaked out when he found out the mom smoked pot in college. (This was an episode all about pot, by the way) To many episodes deal with sex or alcohol/drugs. It will lead viewers who don't know any better that heavy petting and making out never leads to sex. It also leads viewers to believe that smokers and drinkers are very bad people and to stay away from them. This show is complete crap. Only watch if you want to laugh your ass off.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

Perfect for preteens and early teens

What I like about this program is that for my 12-year old daughter, we have the cute guys and admirable girls that she is interested in, but in a (more-or-less) normal family with normal issues -but lots and lots of positive social messages. Great!
Adult Written bydjb952 April 9, 2008

The rare exception

This is truly a rare show. NO sex, graphic violence or foul language. It is excellent family entertainment. The spiritual message is definitly a step in the right direction.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian June 1, 2015

Heavenly at Times--Sometimes Not So Much

7th Heaven is one of those tricky shows you want to like, but can't wholly endorse. Everyone will have his or her own reasons for this; here are a few of mine. The Camden family is a close-knit, warm clan. Parents Eric and Annie want their kids to grow up to be good, well-adjusted people. For the most part, they succeed. All seven kids have human foibles, but are mostly sympathetic and relatable. (Favorite and disliked characters vary according to viewer). Especially in the early seasons, 7th Heaven deals well with universal issues such as friendship, love, death, the consequences of negative choices, and more. Many episodes are specifically issue-driven and include characters such as abused spouses, teen gang members, Holocaust survivors, unwed parents, drug users, and more. The episodes center on how the Camdens help each person in their lives negotiate problems. The show gets sticky when it comes to the Camden family's own problems. For example, oldest daughter Mary gets thrown out of the house in Season 5 for drinking, bouncing from job to job, refusing to attend college, and behaving selfishly toward her family. Whether Mary's punishment is deserved is arguable, but the family's blindness toward the problem leading up to it is disturbing. Later on in the series, Simon gives away his virginity and has a string of questionable girlfriends. Lucy and Annie become whiny and melodramatic, a turn-off to many viewers. Eric, a minister, writes a racy book and seems to lose or ignore his former moral compass. In general, whether your family settles in with the Camdens is an individual decision. What you like or don't like will influence whether you keep watching. The only solid recommendation I can make here is, because some issues discussed are serious and potentially graphic, wait until the kids are about eight before letting them watch.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

A wonderful Christian show Episodes have dealt directly and admirably with issues of tolerance. Characters have been beaten up at school (off-screen) bullying.
Adult Written bymdrehome April 9, 2008

Great family entertainment

A must see for family TV time!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

It has changed!

We used to love the show. It dealt with very common social problems/issues in very positive and supportive ways. it was a super role model for parents, and for kids, especially for kids who had dysfunctional parents. But over the past years, it has turned into a soap opera-type show, with boyfriends staying with the family, parents' anger being destructive to the family, situations not dealt with in loving ways-it has become a typical dysfunctional family. We see enough of them in the real world. We need our positive role models back.
Adult Written bybassisland April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLor April 9, 2008
This show deals with some real issues that could be touchy for under 10 year olds.The key is in the end the right behavior always occurs. the right decisions are made and there is always the message that mistakes can be made but we must learn from them . And also that family is very important and so are good old fashioned family values. It shows how to deal with the world now and still keep those values.I check what the subject matter is each week and most of the time I can let my 8 almost 9 yeear old watch with us.My 11 year old loves the show but there weeree a few iffy ones that she turned off herself because of an episode about a sister in law alcoholic.
Adult Written bysmcqueen April 9, 2008

Watch it Every Night

I Love this show. My family and I watch it every night and then on Mondays we watch the new episode. We watch it faithfully. I think that it deals with good issues and family values. God is place high on their list of people to thank for life. The father and one daughter are pastors and I think we need more shows that focus on God and Family. A lot of family shows are no longer for families.
Adult Written byhsmom4jc April 9, 2008

Our favorite show!!

We love this show! As a minister's family, we can tell you that the show realistically portrays a minister's family--up to a point! We feel that no minister's child would ever be able to get away with some of the rebellion and actions that the Camden kids have--or their dad would've been fired! The show does not show enough interference in the minister's family life by the church members. But we have looked to the Camden parents to help us deal with many issues with our own kids. We have also used the show as a jumping off point with our children (ages 11-25) for conversations about abstinence, drinking, etc., as the show details the consequences of these actions in the lives of the characters. It's so refreshing to see a family that still believes in the morals that we believe in. We're thrilled that the show has gotten a reprieve and will air next year! Long live the Camdens!
Adult Written bysrmax00 April 9, 2008