All member reviews for American Horror Story

Teen, 14 years old Written byalexman774 October 11, 2011

Amazing but may be disturbing for some.

Ok so I am 14 years old and my da found out this show was TVMA one day before it came out. He knew how excited I was to see the show so he decided to let me watch with his supervision. First of all the show is not quite as bloody as you may expect but it does contain disturbing and frightening images which may scar younger children. The show also contains some strong language including s*** and c***sucker which may not be a good thing if kids repeat what they hear. There is also a large focus on sex. The show tries to use sex as one of it's elements to scare. There are james bond style sex scenes (cant see bad parts but you can tell what they are doing) but you never see any nudity except for butt. There are also messages about how much pain and suffering is in the world which may be sad for young children. In conclusion this show may be good for mature 14 year olds but my dad will continue to watch each upcoming episode with me to be safe and I recommend you do that to.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykamiekirk November 8, 2011

Sexual perversion, adultery, and gore is too much for television, let alone children.

I've been very critical of sexuality in media, and after the seeing the first few episodes, it seemed that the sexual perversion was too much for basic cable. The maid/husband masturbation thing was too much for ANY television in general. Whether full nudity was shown or not, it was way too much. I would never allow siblings to watch it.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2012

Amazing and insane Drama. But not for kids. At ALL.

SEASON 1: Amazing show about a family who moves from Boston to L.A., to escape their troubled past. They move into L.A.'s infamous "Murder House". The show is full of sex, rape, violence, vulgar uncensored language, smoking by teens, and of course, a horror themed tone. (SPOILER ALERT FOR PARENTS) A woman dies in graphic child birth, a woman is raped (graphically) by a man in a rubber suit (partially on screen. No genitalia or breasts shown), Every episode starts with an opening, explaining the past, which then relates to what happens during the episode, a girl with down syndrome gets hit by a car (and is revealed dead), the nurse gives two blow jobs in the first season, a man cheats on his wife and she walks in on him, then slices him with a knife. The show focuses on sexual violence. NOT FOR KIDS. I am a child, and I feel others around my age would be scared, or "scarred for life" after watching this. (Horror and "adult themes" don't bother me or really effect me. Many children would be confused while watching this.)
Teen, 15 years old Written bymulbytime October 13, 2011

Creepy Show Revolves Around Sex

I am a huge horror movie fan, and my favorite type of horror movie is the creepy, eerie, supernatural movies. (paranormal activity, the shining, etc.) This show is right up my alley. It's creepy, scary, gory (but not too) and very mysterious. However, there is a lot of sex in the show. Nothing is explicit, but the male lead has a history of adultery, committed with a 16 year old girl. Lots of sexual content revolves around Ben (Dylan McDermott). Also, I don't want to spoil anything, so all I can say is that some of the sex (not all) is crucial to the story. All in all, I would recommend this show. But be careful who you show it to. Probably around 13 is a reasonable age to watch this show, but until they're around 14, i recommend watching it with them just to censor anything out. I can only suspect that there will be more sex and violence in future episodes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byghs1441 October 26, 2011

Graphic and Great

This show is graphic in pretty much everything it does. If there's language, it will be strong and audible (exluding c**t and f**k.) If there is violence it will be graphic and scary. If there is sex, it will be under serious circumstances, and it will be minimally censored. Mature 14 year olds and even 13 year olds can watch this as long as they have no problem with dark, disturbing violence and sex, and strong language. Now that that's out of the way, i think this is one of the best shows on television. Its filled with dark (really, really, really dark) humor, suspense and gore. But I think the most interesting and different part of the show is that it gives the audience close to no insight as to any of the secrets behind the house, only revealing a portion of what is sure to be a huge reveal at the end of the series each episode. This is an amazing show with even greater potential, but it is not for the faint of heart.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOnlyForForever January 4, 2012

Disturbing

The title of "horror" makes you think of blood and probably some sex appeal. That is honestly an understatement. In the first episode, a man masturbates after walking in on a woman masturbating this was after the wife caught him in bed with one of his students and cuts his arm with a knife and then the daughter is shown smoking and the wife is haunted by two dead kids. The smoking gets the girl in a cat fight which leads to them torturing the girl who started it. The girl is shown cutting right as one of her dad's mental patients walks in and tells her how to kill herself instead of cutting across her wrists. all in the first episode. But You don't see much in the sex scenes, you hear it and then only see them naked from their backside. I would honestly advise you to keep children and most teens away from this show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPart IV October 17, 2012

Wow, televison now days is disturbing and sick!

Teen, 16 years old Written byXXima_dinosaurXX December 12, 2011

wonderfully shocking show puts you on edge

Stumbling upon this show, i was sucked in from the very start. American Horror Story is however disturbing and creepy, and if you like that stuff as much as i do, you'll fall in love with it. The plot is complex and dark, in itself it is quite creative. For those age 16 and up I think this show would be one you would not want to miss out on. So many twists and turns, you never know what is going to happen next. You will be on the edge of your seat. However this is a show you do not want children to watch due to mature content, i would say 15 and under should NOT watch this show. Sexual scenes, violence, language and adult themes and much more. But other than that its a lovely show, for those of you who can handle it, check it out, you won't be disappointed (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 14, 2011

Especially for the horror genre, violence is the least concern. It's still quite a mature show, but the TV-MA rating is mostly unnecessary.

This review is regarding the pilot episode. Violence: The visuals are edited to make it look twisted and creepy. We also hear the usual, sudden horror movie music when something shocking comes up. All we really SEE, though, is scars on a teenager's wrist and light gashes on faces. Sex: We see a man naked from behind. He stands in front of a window, and we hear groaning, allowing us to assume he is "pleasing himself". There is also discussion among teens. Profanity refers to genitalia. Language: LOTS. Various forms of "s--t". Nothing "f--k" or stronger, surprisingly. Drugs: We see tobacco cigarettes, and we hear mentions of cocaine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 28, 2013

American Horror Story

Even though it might be shocking for most young teens, this Tv Series delivers a graphic and false extreme violence and excesive use of drugs.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatherineodon May 27, 2013

For Mature Teens only.

I'm 14, and I watched this after a recommendation from a friend the same age. It does have lots of violence and sex, but it is a good show if you are mature enough to handle it. It's not appropriate for some kids, but I think it would be okay for a mature 13 or 14 year old.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie lover xx January 7, 2014

The Positives and Negatives of an Amazing Show

I've just finished both of the first season (and all of the third season so far) I've read a lot of the reviews just mentioning the sex, drugs, gore and violence, yes they are there almost all the time there are some positive role models, for example Kit (Evan Peters) in Asylum Wrongly accused of murdering women, had two wives who both died, was wrongly locked away in a mental asylum, almost sent to death, canned, whipped and locked up however even through all that he remained a good person, I'm pretty sure he's the only main character that didn't kill anyone. He took a young woman's 20 lashes as well as his own after the two were found having sex (explicit but not graphic and they loved each other he went on to marry her later so it wasn't just some fling) and even after he had been released and the people he cared about had died he made sure he went back to help the nun whom accused him and whipped him mercilessly, Kit is an extremely good role model and teaches to forgive. I cannot think of a decent role model in season 1 however in season 3 from the 9 episodes I've seen so far Zoe (Tassia Farmiga) seems like a good role model who would put herself in danger to help her friends even though there not always there for her and feels genuine compassion for some characters even when no one else does. It also gives out some positive messages- Season 1; Stand up for yourself; Be there for the ones you love; Never give up when times are tough. Season 2; (I found there were quite a lot of strong female characters who stood up for themselves, it really gives off a good message to young girls, they don't need to be have a man to be successful as demonstrated by Lana) Don't let others tell you who you are, only you decide who you are; Don''t ever let a man make you feel worth any less than him; Forgive; Never give up; Don't have sex in an abandoned asylum; You can achieve your dreams if you work hard enough. Season 3; Stick by your friends; Be loyal to those you care about; Don't be racist (or sexist or homophobic or anything like that, those two weren't shown in AHS but I thought I'd add them anyway); keep an open mind. Even though it has the good role models and positive messages there is a hell of a lot of language, drinking smoking, some drugs, sex (never graphic but almost always explicit), violence, torture, human experiments, disfigurement, mutilation, self-harm and suicide (in season 1 Violet self-harms and later commits suicide but overdosing on pills, also kind of dreams/imagines slitting her neck to end it all, also Tate admits he used to self-harm but tries to get Violet to stop, also in season 1 a woman shoots her husband then herself, season 2 a man shoots himself leading to a car crash then again in season 3 another person shoot them self), some cannibalism,rape, and then some. In terms of scariness (I am someone who personally can't deal with jump scares or normal horror movies however I cope with these fine, although they sometimes shake me up a little and shock me) There are no jump scares in any of them, and if things do suddenly appear you were expecting it and were meant to be expecting it. All the horror is done in a way I think a lot of horror movies (especially newer ones) disregard, even though they use the shock factor with the gore and violence you get a feeling of genuine horror, they use an extremely good plot with great characters and superb acting so don't rely on cheap theatrics to scare you. tl;dr? Here's a quick summary of all so far- SEASON 1: The Murder House- Fairly scary. Not much violence however a lot of sex, the whole storyline is based on an affair and a miscarriage. Ghost/spirits are almost always there, gay sex, kinkiness, rape, and of course murder (via gun, neck snapping, knife, shovel, drowning, some creature in the basement that you never really find out what exactly it is (it's implied to be a baby that was abandoned years ago, pretty sure it is one of the spirits trapped in the house), car hit and run and some other things. SEASON 2: Asylum- Scariest season by far. Sadistic ex-nazi doctor, evil nuns, aliens, mental patients and (this is what really got me) a killer called Bloody Face who abducts women, skins them alive, makes furniture out of the skin and bones (some of the furniture is seen like a bowl made from what appeared to be a human skull and a lamp with the lampshade made out of human skin), decapitates them and wears their faces as masks. Dead bodies are seen, some rape, a horrible, horrible torture takes place in which a woman's legs are cut off and her skin is burnt and she becomes very disfigured and mutilated, someone's arm is ripped of, people are shot, and murdered in many ways, another hit and run (not graphic again and a lot of remorse is shown) SEASON 3: Coven- Least scary. Only disturbing thing about it is the way Madame Delphine LaLaurie treats her black slaves and is extremely racist, she also tortures her own daughters when she finds them planning to kill her, acid is thrown over somebody's face (blinding them, witches are burnt at the stake, someone cuts off their own tongue, more murder using knives and sex, gang rape of an intoxicated girl, a Frankenstein type monster is created and some more however no where near as disturbing/scary as the first 2 seasons. I think it is pretty suitable for mature 14 year old or, if not mature 16/17 but it really all depends on your child, what you know they can handle and if they're going to take some good from it and appreciate that it is actually a great show. I hope my review helped :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 7, 2013

Disturbing, and Grisly

Rough violence, and graphic sex. It contains dark and disturbing images as well as strong violence that usually contains blood and/or gore. Graphic sex is shown and implyed, and there will sometimes be nudity usually butts, but the sex can be graphic. Milder language never any F words. Some alcohol use, and maybe a few drug references. Only worry is sex and violence as well as disturbing images. Suggested MPAA-R: Strong Disturbing Horror Violence and Gore, Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity, Grisly and Shocking Images, and some Language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II October 17, 2012

Sounds twisted!

Teen, 16 years old Written bydouble007 October 16, 2012

Disturbing violence and sex filled show is for mature teen's and adults only.

I've just begun this show, and so far it appears to have earned it's TVMA rating! The first thing i'm going to say is I enjoy this show very much. The acting is fantastic, and the story is terrific and chilling. Now to the content; The violence isn't constant, and it's more disturbing than it is bloody. A few people are seen hacked to death by a man (this is quite shocking). People are also shot, stabbed, beat, and strangled. There are a few scenes that show some grisly images of dead people. I should also warn you that lot's of the violence includes children. The sex in the show is also very strong. There are a few scenes of masterbation, rape, consensual sex between couples, and implied sex between an older teen and a young girl. There is also some mild nudity. The langauge isn't very heavy, but there are some very explicit sexual description involving words like p***y, c**ks**ker, and a few others I don't care to mention. There are a few uses of word's like s**t, d**n, and b***h, etc. There are no uses of f**k. Overall, violence: 9/10, sex: 9/10, langauge: 7/10
Teen, 17 years old Written byChambear November 16, 2011

A Bold Step Forward in the Horror Genre

American Horror Story starts off with a family from Boston who moves to Los Angeles after a tragic miscarriage during delivering their second child, as well as a bleak affair with a young woman. The family consists of Ben, Vivien, and Violet, as well as the young, distressed teen Tate, alongside an older woman named Constance, and Moira, the elderly, mysterious maid. The show displays a great variety of influences ranging from the films Halloween, The Shining, as well as Paranormal Activity. The show is quite dark in nature, and the house has a very bleak and tragic story from its past occupants. The show's pilot is the worst episode in terms of content. The pilot features cussing such as s--t and c--ksucker at a moderate, but not constant level, with no f-words. The pilot also features little to no blood, and no gore. The pilot really comes down to sexual dilemmas. There is a scene of sex between Vivien and the mysterious Rubber Man (a strange, unknown character clad in bondage clothing) with no nudity and is very short, and also features an even shorter, but more graphic scene of the younger version of Moira the maid pleasuring herself, and shows Ben seconds later doing the same with only buttocks shown for a few seconds. There is also flirting and an attempted, but not shown rape scene later in the series. Another important note is that the first episode is the only really bad episode in the series. The series so far (I have only seen about 4 other episodes) features no nudity or sex, some blood, and little to no language of the beginning pilot's caliber. There are some controversial messages such as of abortion and homosexuality, but shows to be an interesting step for horror for ages 16 and up who can muster a few scares.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjustoneofthosegirls May 4, 2015

Its soo addicting yet its not good for kids 14 and under

So at first I was iffy about this show, I went on common sense media and looked at the reviews that scared me a lot. But I ignored the reviews and decided to see for myself. So here is my true review for you all who are looking to see if your child is watching an age appropriate show or if A teen needs some insigt about this show. Well first, horror is my least favorite genre. Yet, this is my favorite show. It is highly addicting and I got through the first season in three days. The seasons differ. I think that it will "scar' kids under the age of 13, but thats all. it has some swearing, a bit of sexual content, (but get past it) and its really gory. so if you hate Gore then DO NOT watch this show. A misunderstood girl cuts herself in the first season, but a ghost gets her to stop which sends a good message. I think. Anyway, from the point of view of a 15-16 year old I think that this show is fantastic and you should absolutely watch it, THE THEME SONG IS SCARIER THEN THE ACTUAL SHOW enjoy :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrace_h2 April 17, 2015

i love it!

this is one of my fav things to watch, but there are some things you might want to watch out for if you dont do too well with horror.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAsh_From_Pallet April 2, 2015

The best around

Ther is a lot of drug usage in the first season, they reference cocain, a pill, that seems to be molly, in one episode some of the characters use pain killers and one takes a whole bottle in attempted suicide, there is also a lot of smoking. $ex plays a big role in this show an dis not usually shown on screen. Charactors also cut themselves. Excessive violence and gore as the show progreses. In one episode there are charactors that have blood all around their faces, but the show is awesome.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfilm geek March 28, 2015

dark, sinister, gripping and addictive

I started watching American Horror Story around a month ago and I'm already half way through the third season! The show currently consists of 4 seasons (Murder House, Asylum, Coven, Freak Show) with a 5th season (Hotel) soon to be released. MY OPINION: Personally, I am absolutely hooked on AHS. I love the story lines, the characters, the cast. As a complete horror fanatic, I don't get scared very easily, however, some images may be disturbing or frightening to certain viewers. The show without fail contains infinite jump scares, tension, well thought out plot twists and relatable characters, with the perfect balance of phycological thrill and straight up slasher style. WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW: Although this show is absolutely amazing, there are certain things you need to consider when deciding how appropriate it is. Throughout the seasons, there is quite a lot of gore- people getting cut in half, countless characters getting shot in the head, violent axe murdering, brutal torchere, decapitation, and someone even gets they're pancreas removes while they are chained they are chained up. All of these include huge amounts of blood EVERYWHERE. Also, for some (specifically in season 1 and partly in seasons 2 & 3), this could be a triggering show. One of the main characters in season 1 is a self harmer (shown on screen) and is suicidal, and this is explicitly displayed throughout the episodes. In season 2, quite a few characters have thoughts of suicide or carry out suicide and this is also explicitly displayed on screen. There are extremely high levels of violence throughout, quite a bit of sexual content, and in all seasons, there is drug use, lots of alcohol and smoking (excessive teen smoking in season 1). Each season without fail has something twisted within with a dark undertone. I hope this has been helpful to anyone who considers watching the show or is deciding how appropriate it is for someone else. Personally, I love AHS and I couldn't recommend watching it more!