All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 15 years old Written byKhoi1220 October 12, 2013

Amazing Horror TV show

I think this show is amazing. Really twisted. I'm a horror fan and this tv show honestly better than some of the "so-called" horror films
Teen, 14 years old Written bykamal dwy JR September 29, 2012

TVMA but im SAFE whit my adult brain SPF?

well im 14 and some of you may say that the show musnt be watched by -18 and yes there some disturbing scenes but it chould be watched by adult children sometimes i get disturbed by a lot of scenes like when Ben Harmon opened the door and saw that the maid masrturbating then he started to masturbate alone and others sex scenes
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 May 5, 2012

cool

awesome
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 7, 2013

Disturbing, and Grisly

Rough violence, and graphic sex. It contains dark and disturbing images as well as strong violence that usually contains blood and/or gore. Graphic sex is shown and implyed, and there will sometimes be nudity usually butts, but the sex can be graphic. Milder language never any F words. Some alcohol use, and maybe a few drug references. Only worry is sex and violence as well as disturbing images. Suggested MPAA-R: Strong Disturbing Horror Violence and Gore, Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity, Grisly and Shocking Images, and some Language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 28, 2013

American Horror Story

Even though it might be shocking for most young teens, this Tv Series delivers a graphic and false extreme violence and excesive use of drugs.
Adult Written byalekon July 30, 2012

17 & up

I just finished the 1st season of this series, and I gotta say there are a few scenes which were slightly disturbing for me. I, being a fan of this sort of series, tend to like horror, however, a few scenes were just disgusting and gross, not for kids for sure.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion December 21, 2012

Astoundingly Original, Scary and Shocking

American Horror Story is a love it or hate it TV show. I bet you will find next to no one in between. Many praise its brilliant originality and others condemn its shock and awe tactics. I'm solidly in the former group. The show is explicit and not for kids, but adult horror fans will find a treat here: something unlike anything they've ever seen before, full to the brim with genuine scares, absolutely stunning performances, technical peerlessness, and (believe it or not) perceptive, emotional storylines. The first thing you should know about this show is that it's an anthology production: each season, while retaining several key actors, covers a completely different story. Two seasons have aired so far: the first being more of a psychosexual thriller revolving around a modern haunted house, and the second more of a straight-ahead horror story that takes place in a 1960s-era insane asylum. Of the two seasons, the second is more explicit, containing much darker thematic material and graphic violence. The violence in both seasons is bloody and frequent. Season 1: Hand-to-hand combat results in dislocated legaments, snapped necks, and blood-covered wounds. Stabbings and shootings are shown with gore. One woman is shot in the eye, and we see her bloody socket. People are beaten to death with shovels. Gore-covered corpses, returned as ghosts, are shown almost constantly. Sexual assault is preluded, but almost always interrupted. A blood-soaked childbirth scene is shown. Season 2: A lot more gore than in Season 1 is shown, and the violence has a grittier feel to it. The ground meat of humans is shown being fed to quasi-human monsters. A serial killer skins his victims and wears their skin as a mask. Graphic stabbings, Nazi-esque medical experimentation, dismemberment, and axe choppings get much screen time. A woman is raped, but no nudity is shown. Sex in both seasons is not as explicit as some would have you believe, but it is still frequent. Season 1 contains rear nudity of a male character only, but Season 2 contains occassional female topless nudity as well. Both seasons contain sex scenes, but they are brief and contain very little, if any, nudity. Both men and women are shown masturbating in both seasons, once again, without on-screen nudity. One disturbing scene shows a woman being made to fondle a nude male character (off-screen) as an attempt to "cure" her lesbianism. Profanity in both seasons is frequent, but milder than your usual R-rated movie (no "f" words yet).
Teen, 16 years old Written bySockMonster :) December 14, 2012

Not for the faint of heart.

Call me crazy, but I like to watch shows and movies like this. So, in my opinion I think it is a good show. However, I would not recommend it for anyone who doesn't like to be scared, or who cannot handle graphic situations. (Both violent and sexual.)
Adult Written byTecFan09 March 29, 2013

Spooky, Crazy, Dramatic Fun. For the Grown-Ups Eyes Only.

A great, very well made, twisted horror and drama series, great for adults. Acting is incredible, characters are extremely flawed but likable, and the story is addicting and fun to follow. Not for children, or even some teens, I'd say 14-15 at the youngest, and that's if they're mature enough to handle it. There are explicit sex scenes, teens and adults using drugs and alcohol, violence, gore, self-mutilation, extremely poor role-models, and lots of murder.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byLuvBinAMommy08 October 16, 2013

Not for kids under 17

sometimes gets crazy and disturbing. My husband and I watch this and I can safely say my kids will not be watching this any time soon.
Parent Written byhannahbananna85 May 24, 2013

I'm almost hooked, but...

This show captures you, but in the first episode, the sexuality is overwhelming. I wouldn't even want my husband to see this!
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 2, 2012

Dark psychological-horror drama intended to be viewed by adults only.

American Horror Story is about a troubled married man named Dr. Harmon, whom is a Psychiatrist who takes his wife and teenage daughter to a mansion just to get away from the past troubles they've experienced, including his wife, Vivien Harmon, who's witnessed him cheating on a younger woman in their previous home, and their teenage daughter who has a dangerous habit of self-mutilating herself and having apparent thoughts of suicide. Their neighbor, Constance, knows more about the house than they do, and by then it shows the mansion's twisted and disturbing past, and especially the horrific acts committed by the owners. The violence that occurs is very disturbing and shocking because of their daughter's graphic self-mutilation (cutting her wrists with razor blades), a woman brutally shoots and kills her cheating husband for witnessing him attempting to rape their housekeeper, and a woman bites off a man's penis and another suffocates him to death with a plastic bag. There's one infamous scene where Tate goes on a very realistic school shooting spree and you see students and teachers get brutally shot and gruesomely murdered. Language is infrequent but strong at times (uses of sh*t, godd**n, d*mn, h*ll, and some use of c**k and c**ksucker). There's some drug use where Dr. Harmon's daughter takes pills and smokes cigarettes with a student, and they both get high on some occasions. You do see eerie and disturbing imagery of the ghosts whom once resided around the neighborhood including ones who actually owned that mansion, and the grisly injuries they once sustained when they were murdered are still on them in ghost form.
Adult Written byaryenne December 13, 2013

Mature audience only

This is not for children. If your teen is mature and interested in viewing, it should be ok. But there is nothing about this show that improves your life or makes it worth watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen November 8, 2012

Disturbingly great.

Just mark my words. Dont Let Kids Watch. Enjoy the show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life February 17, 2015

AHS Review

American Horror Story: Murder House - 14+ This is the creepiest season by far. It deals with self harm, adultery, teen drug use, and all that other jazz. Its really sexual too, so, if you don't want your kid to be exposed to that stuff, don't watch it with them. The only nudity in this season is butts. Expect lots of cussing. American Horror Story: Asylum - 15+ This is favorite season, and it is terrifying. The sex is less frequent, but the scenes are more intense, and you see the sides of breasts. It's pretty violent, but not as violent as the first. American Horror Show: Coven - 13+ This season is the goriest and one of the most sexual, but its so teen oriented, and the gore is so unrealistic, that it's age appropriate. It all depends on the maturity of your child. It's one of my favorite seasons. American Horror Story: Freak Show - 17+ This is really great, but it's kind of boring compared to the other seasons. It's the most violent and sexual season by far. Again, butt In short, this show is my favorite show on tv at the moment, and it's overall best for 14+, but it depends on how mature they are.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

Not for kids 10 and under, maybe 11 year olds.

I think that you can not really keep your kids from knowing all about forms of sexual interactions and other things. Of course I wish they wouldn't know, but they will find out. Kids can be very mature, and as long as they like scariness, then you're good to go. Make sure you can trust your child!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnteplyne January 24, 2015

AHS

American Horry Story is definitely a well made TV show. Each of its unique seasons, centered on a different time and place, but with the same characters is undoubtedly a new idea. The show is highly inappropriate at parts, and requires you to fast-forward. Even though it contains scenes of self-mutilation, bullying, smoking, etc. It is a raw look on the horrors of life. it enables the viewer to travel with the characters and have an adventure alongside them. This creative and intuitive horror show blends mental illness, depression, and an American horror story into one.
Adult Written byAurora96 January 23, 2015

Don't let small children watch this

Season 1 of American Horror Story is fine based on violence, it can be pretty gory and frightening at times so I'm not sure if children below 11 would be able to take it, there is a lot of death, 1 mild rape scene and 2 detailed rape attempts. Based on sexual violence I really wouldn't let children younger than teens continue to watch the other seasons of this show. Without trying to spoil too much, a woman is captured and raped in season two, although the camera is only focused on their upper bodies, there is another rape on a man performed by a woman, and a detailed rape attempt on another woman all in season two. Season three only has one rape scene on the first episode where a teenage girl is drugged and gang raped by two men at a frat party, while other men stood around, watched and recorded it, it is in good detail and this obviously isn't suitable for children. I actually found I had to skip through it because I found it very unsettling to watch myself. Also in season three there is one almost rape attempt where a woman is walking down a dark road and a man approaches her while unzipping his pants, but is immediately killed by her. Also based on sex, season four seems to be the most appropriate for children as there is barely any sex shown at all. Although a sex tape is shown and a man masturbates a woman, they are not in great detail. A snuff tape story is shown, but no sex is shown in it. For children younger than teens, I do only suggest season one and season four. I find it a shame the producers keep resorting to rape in this show, the stories are very good and I wish my younger siblings could watch all of the seasons, but because of this, sadly not.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover4 January 22, 2015

good show

I stared watching the show when I was twelve and enjoyed it. I'm perfectly fine with some violence and sex. Watching the show really depends on how mature you are. If you can handle lots of inappropriate content I say watch it at 13. I don't find it scary but, to me it defies reality. Just in a way we don't always see. Btw, season 3 is amazing! Don't let people tell you otherwise.
Adult Written byzutara123 January 22, 2015

The acting and stories are great. It can be very disturbing though at times.