All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

Educator and Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byLuvBinAMommy08 October 16, 2013

Not for kids under 17

sometimes gets crazy and disturbing. My husband and I watch this and I can safely say my kids will not be watching this any time soon.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCharisLia April 20, 2014

American Horror Story

I loved this TV show, I have just started on series two and it's one of the best programmes I've seen in a while. I think most teens would be fine watching this on their own, I watch it on my own. Then again, I have grown up watching suspense filled horror films and gory police dramas (Silent Witness, ect...) but my younger sister watched a few episodes with me and she was fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 14, 2011

Especially for the horror genre, violence is the least concern. It's still quite a mature show, but the TV-MA rating is mostly unnecessary.

This review is regarding the pilot episode. Violence: The visuals are edited to make it look twisted and creepy. We also hear the usual, sudden horror movie music when something shocking comes up. All we really SEE, though, is scars on a teenager's wrist and light gashes on faces. Sex: We see a man naked from behind. He stands in front of a window, and we hear groaning, allowing us to assume he is "pleasing himself". There is also discussion among teens. Profanity refers to genitalia. Language: LOTS. Various forms of "s--t". Nothing "f--k" or stronger, surprisingly. Drugs: We see tobacco cigarettes, and we hear mentions of cocaine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjustoneofthosegirls May 4, 2015

Its soo addicting yet its not good for kids 14 and under

So at first I was iffy about this show, I went on common sense media and looked at the reviews that scared me a lot. But I ignored the reviews and decided to see for myself. So here is my true review for you all who are looking to see if your child is watching an age appropriate show or if A teen needs some insigt about this show. Well first, horror is my least favorite genre. Yet, this is my favorite show. It is highly addicting and I got through the first season in three days. The seasons differ. I think that it will "scar' kids under the age of 13, but thats all. it has some swearing, a bit of sexual content, (but get past it) and its really gory. so if you hate Gore then DO NOT watch this show. A misunderstood girl cuts herself in the first season, but a ghost gets her to stop which sends a good message. I think. Anyway, from the point of view of a 15-16 year old I think that this show is fantastic and you should absolutely watch it, THE THEME SONG IS SCARIER THEN THE ACTUAL SHOW enjoy :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnaconda3611 October 13, 2014

American Horror Story is NOT represented fairly here!

Now I am aware that the show is not for children of any age, but not many of the reviews are fair. Every storyline (and the content in that storyline) is very different because each season is a new chapter in an anthology series. Season 1 is the Murder House story, and is the only one reviewed here, and is risqué at first on purpose to attract an audience that can withstand the content, but the horror leaves and the drama starts about halfway through the season, and it does start to calm down. However season 2 Asylum only gets more twisted and horrific as it goes on, but it does calm down near the end, and to spite being the hardest to watch, it is the best quality wise. It does contain graphic, but nudity free, depictions of sickening sexual violence such as rape, necrophilia, tourture, and kidnapping and worse until it gets better when everyone gets what they deserve, and the heroic characters do suffer the worst fates, but it is also genius when you are not throwing up from the rape and necrophilia, and season 2 is not suitable for most adults, so stay far away from Asylum until you pre watch it and can keep your lunch down. Coven however is the third season and should have been TV-14. It still has much of the disturbing content, such as mothers tourtureing and raping their sons, and then sodomizing them with hoses of hot water before killing them, but even though this is part of the season, it is only implied and off screen, but still disturbing, but it is not nearly as bad as The Walking Dead. Season 4, called Freakshow has barely started, but seems like it is going to be in the 15-16 year old age demographic. Asylum is an iffy 18, coven is okay for 14-15 year olds, and season one is okay for 15-16 year olds. This is all depending on the person though, and a mature 15 year old should be able to handle it all. Compared to Game Of Thrones, it is not as adult as that, but is older than what a walking dead watcher should see. So I think if you can see walking dead, but not game of thrones, then this is perfect. And even though it is hard to watch, it does give out give messages of equality, acceptance, and love.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 28, 2013

American Horror Story

Even though it might be shocking for most young teens, this Tv Series delivers a graphic and false extreme violence and excesive use of drugs.
Parent Written byhannahbananna85 May 24, 2013

I'm almost hooked, but...

This show captures you, but in the first episode, the sexuality is overwhelming. I wouldn't even want my husband to see this!
Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert June 11, 2012

A Quality Thriller That May Offend Some

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: This is a really creepy (but amazing) show. I'm 16 years old, and there were a few things in the show that even disturbed me (and it takes a lot). This show is on the verge of pushing limits with television. The violence is more graphic that what you would see on a TV show on a network. There is gore. Guts spilling out of someone, teenagers cutting themselves. One character goes mad and shoots thirteen teenagers at his school. The sexual content is a little more frequent. One character was caught having an affair (which prompted them to move), A couple scenes show characters "playing with themselves". There is sex off screen and on screen. One scene even shows a rape. There is only a little nudity. Buttocks are mainly shown and sometimes the side of a woman's breasts. The language is strong. Basically, every word is uttered except for the "F" word. Although it's not as big, there are some drugs in the show. A teenager smokes. One did coke before shooting kids. This show may be incredibly disturbing to most people, but it's an interesting and cool TV show. When they say viewer discretion is advised.. they mean it. AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM: The sophomore season (which takes place in an asylum in the 60's) is more graphic than the first season. In literally every episode, there is (not-so-graphic) nudity. Their form of punishment is spanking patients, so there are a lot of bare buttocks. There is also sex. The modern day couple talk sexy and the woman performs oral on the male while he sticks his arm in a room. As a reason, his arm gets torn off. The violence is much more graphic than the previous season. A doctor hammers a patient's eye out to replace their brain, the same doctor experiments with the patients and dumps their remains off into the woods for a hungry creature. A nymphomaniac got her legs cut off. The serial killer "bloody face" skins woman and makes masks and furniture out of it. The killer also holds a woman hostage in his basement. Language is about the same since last season. The only drug viewers see is marijuana, which is smoked in the first episode for a brief moment. Overall, this season is disturbing, sexy, and scarier than the last season. AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN- Not as dark as the previous season, but still with plenty of shock factor. Violence is in every episode (torture, slavery, burnings, and one witch's power is killing people through sex) and it gets graphic each time. The scenes in Madame LaLaurie's basement are particularly graphic (face peeled back, eyes and mouth sewed, cutting open stomach for organs). The sex this season is probably the most graphic and vivid as the others. Of course, there's rape; and new this season- bestiality, incest and implied necrophilia. As usual, only buttocks are shown. Language this season is same as others (along with drug content). Overall, the third season is fantastic! Highly recommended.
Adult Written bylmtrav January 9, 2015

SO GOOD but not for kids

Honestly, the appropriate age for this show is hard to determine because it really depends on the person. My sister who is 15 loves this show and can handle it just fine, but my mom can't even watch it for a minute. I know 15-year-olds who couldn't watch this and parents who love it. I don't normally like horror movies, but I love this show. Every season is different always keeping it fresh and interesting. The acting is amazing for television, and it is so original. The sexual content is pretty heavy, but a lot of teenagers have seen this stuff before and should be able to handle it if they are mature. Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit darker than 3 in my opinion so 3 may be the best to start with if you are unsure.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytbhlana June 17, 2014

Very good show, but very violent and sexual

American Horror Story is a show that revolves around sex and violence. So kids that are still in middle school SHOULDN'T be watching this show. The violence in this show is very bloody and can be disturbing (especially in season 2) and the sex in this show is very graphic and shows some nudity (butts and breasts) Bottom line: this show is not made for the younger crowd.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNivek May 4, 2014

Cool

Very cool but is inappropriate for children under 12.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 7, 2013

Disturbing, and Grisly

Rough violence, and graphic sex. It contains dark and disturbing images as well as strong violence that usually contains blood and/or gore. Graphic sex is shown and implyed, and there will sometimes be nudity usually butts, but the sex can be graphic. Milder language never any F words. Some alcohol use, and maybe a few drug references. Only worry is sex and violence as well as disturbing images. Suggested MPAA-R: Strong Disturbing Horror Violence and Gore, Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity, Grisly and Shocking Images, and some Language.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatherineodon May 27, 2013

For Mature Teens only.

I'm 14, and I watched this after a recommendation from a friend the same age. It does have lots of violence and sex, but it is a good show if you are mature enough to handle it. It's not appropriate for some kids, but I think it would be okay for a mature 13 or 14 year old.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II October 17, 2012

Sounds twisted!

Teen, 16 years old Written bydouble007 October 16, 2012

Disturbing violence and sex filled show is for mature teen's and adults only.

I've just begun this show, and so far it appears to have earned it's TVMA rating! The first thing i'm going to say is I enjoy this show very much. The acting is fantastic, and the story is terrific and chilling. Now to the content; The violence isn't constant, and it's more disturbing than it is bloody. A few people are seen hacked to death by a man (this is quite shocking). People are also shot, stabbed, beat, and strangled. There are a few scenes that show some grisly images of dead people. I should also warn you that lot's of the violence includes children. The sex in the show is also very strong. There are a few scenes of masterbation, rape, consensual sex between couples, and implied sex between an older teen and a young girl. There is also some mild nudity. The langauge isn't very heavy, but there are some very explicit sexual description involving words like p***y, c**ks**ker, and a few others I don't care to mention. There are a few uses of word's like s**t, d**n, and b***h, etc. There are no uses of f**k. Overall, violence: 9/10, sex: 9/10, langauge: 7/10
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life February 17, 2015

AHS Review

American Horror Story: Murder House - 14+ This is the creepiest season by far. It deals with self harm, adultery, teen drug use, and all that other jazz. Its really sexual too, so, if you don't want your kid to be exposed to that stuff, don't watch it with them. The only nudity in this season is butts. Expect lots of cussing. American Horror Story: Asylum - 15+ This is favorite season, and it is terrifying. The sex is less frequent, but the scenes are more intense, and you see the sides of breasts. It's pretty violent, but not as violent as the first. American Horror Show: Coven - 13+ This season is the goriest and one of the most sexual, but its so teen oriented, and the gore is so unrealistic, that it's age appropriate. It all depends on the maturity of your child. It's one of my favorite seasons. American Horror Story: Freak Show - 17+ This is really great, but it's kind of boring compared to the other seasons. It's the most violent and sexual season by far. Again, butt In short, this show is my favorite show on tv at the moment, and it's overall best for 14+, but it depends on how mature they are.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMegH01 October 8, 2014

Please Read!!!

People on here are saying that it's for "adults only" and that's honestly not true. The show is inappropriate in a lot of ways, and I agree that it is most definitely NOT for children. But it is okay for most teenagers. If you could hear what kids talk about in school and what they watch at home behind their parents backs, then this would be absolutely NO PROBLEM.
Kid, 10 years old October 6, 2014

AMERICAN HORROR STORY

my favorite show ever. ive seen all 3 season and i cant wait until freakshow the show has some gory scenes but i enjoy how they bring atmosphere and realism to the series. They story is great so its not slasher film horror. if you or your kids cant realise/ understand its amazing makeup and atmosphere (not to be mean) then u shouldn't watch it. it depends on the viewers. i am ten i do not get nightmares or anything. it depends. there are triggers like suicide and self harm so.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygenius armadillo September 27, 2014

Alluring, Intelligent Show, Not for the Easily Influenced

I'll put it this way for all of you who want a quick answer: If you would let your kid watch The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, this should be fine. The people talking about "sexual perversion" are referring to gay characters and non graphic masturbation in season 1, an admittedly very mentally unwell character in season two, and a sexual assault in season 3. Because each season has a separate story, I'll dissect each one separately: Season one should be fine for teens, and never disturbed me in any way. Season 2 is the scary season, and the villain has a very disturbing fetish. There is also a rape scene, and a horrifying "aversion/conversion therapy" scene for a mental patient (this season promoted LGBT awareness). I would say save this season for teens, unless they have thick skin. Season 3 has one brief scene where a girl is roofied and almost raped. However, season 3 focuses on girl power, and this is a teaching moment. The other problem I have scene arise is the role models. Even if your kid is older, if they are easily influenced by TV characters and try to act like them, DO NOT let them see this show, especially the first season (there is a very good looking, very charismatic teenage boy/romantic lead who turns out to be extremely mentally ill). This show is amazing and leaves you thinking, but it is definitely not a one size fits all kind of thing.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Season 1:Bloody a violent a scary.sexual content a brief nudity.language a some drug iffy 17 Season 2:Graphic disturbing a violent a gory a scary.some strong sexual content a some nudity a strong language off 17 Season 3:Violent a gory.sexual content a brief nudity.language.some drug iffy 17