All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent Written byhannahbananna85 May 24, 2013

I'm almost hooked, but...

This show captures you, but in the first episode, the sexuality is overwhelming. I wouldn't even want my husband to see this!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie lover xx January 7, 2014

The Positives and Negatives of an Amazing Show

I've just finished both of the first season (and all of the third season so far) I've read a lot of the reviews just mentioning the sex, drugs, gore and violence, yes they are there almost all the time there are some positive role models, for example Kit (Evan Peters) in Asylum Wrongly accused of murdering women, had two wives who both died, was wrongly locked away in a mental asylum, almost sent to death, canned, whipped and locked up however even through all that he remained a good person, I'm pretty sure he's the only main character that didn't kill anyone. He took a young woman's 20 lashes as well as his own after the two were found having sex (explicit but not graphic and they loved each other he went on to marry her later so it wasn't just some fling) and even after he had been released and the people he cared about had died he made sure he went back to help the nun whom accused him and whipped him mercilessly, Kit is an extremely good role model and teaches to forgive. I cannot think of a decent role model in season 1 however in season 3 from the 9 episodes I've seen so far Zoe (Tassia Farmiga) seems like a good role model who would put herself in danger to help her friends even though there not always there for her and feels genuine compassion for some characters even when no one else does. It also gives out some positive messages- Season 1; Stand up for yourself; Be there for the ones you love; Never give up when times are tough. Season 2; (I found there were quite a lot of strong female characters who stood up for themselves, it really gives off a good message to young girls, they don't need to be have a man to be successful as demonstrated by Lana) Don't let others tell you who you are, only you decide who you are; Don''t ever let a man make you feel worth any less than him; Forgive; Never give up; Don't have sex in an abandoned asylum; You can achieve your dreams if you work hard enough. Season 3; Stick by your friends; Be loyal to those you care about; Don't be racist (or sexist or homophobic or anything like that, those two weren't shown in AHS but I thought I'd add them anyway); keep an open mind. Even though it has the good role models and positive messages there is a hell of a lot of language, drinking smoking, some drugs, sex (never graphic but almost always explicit), violence, torture, human experiments, disfigurement, mutilation, self-harm and suicide (in season 1 Violet self-harms and later commits suicide but overdosing on pills, also kind of dreams/imagines slitting her neck to end it all, also Tate admits he used to self-harm but tries to get Violet to stop, also in season 1 a woman shoots her husband then herself, season 2 a man shoots himself leading to a car crash then again in season 3 another person shoot them self), some cannibalism,rape, and then some. In terms of scariness (I am someone who personally can't deal with jump scares or normal horror movies however I cope with these fine, although they sometimes shake me up a little and shock me) There are no jump scares in any of them, and if things do suddenly appear you were expecting it and were meant to be expecting it. All the horror is done in a way I think a lot of horror movies (especially newer ones) disregard, even though they use the shock factor with the gore and violence you get a feeling of genuine horror, they use an extremely good plot with great characters and superb acting so don't rely on cheap theatrics to scare you. tl;dr? Here's a quick summary of all so far- SEASON 1: The Murder House- Fairly scary. Not much violence however a lot of sex, the whole storyline is based on an affair and a miscarriage. Ghost/spirits are almost always there, gay sex, kinkiness, rape, and of course murder (via gun, neck snapping, knife, shovel, drowning, some creature in the basement that you never really find out what exactly it is (it's implied to be a baby that was abandoned years ago, pretty sure it is one of the spirits trapped in the house), car hit and run and some other things. SEASON 2: Asylum- Scariest season by far. Sadistic ex-nazi doctor, evil nuns, aliens, mental patients and (this is what really got me) a killer called Bloody Face who abducts women, skins them alive, makes furniture out of the skin and bones (some of the furniture is seen like a bowl made from what appeared to be a human skull and a lamp with the lampshade made out of human skin), decapitates them and wears their faces as masks. Dead bodies are seen, some rape, a horrible, horrible torture takes place in which a woman's legs are cut off and her skin is burnt and she becomes very disfigured and mutilated, someone's arm is ripped of, people are shot, and murdered in many ways, another hit and run (not graphic again and a lot of remorse is shown) SEASON 3: Coven- Least scary. Only disturbing thing about it is the way Madame Delphine LaLaurie treats her black slaves and is extremely racist, she also tortures her own daughters when she finds them planning to kill her, acid is thrown over somebody's face (blinding them, witches are burnt at the stake, someone cuts off their own tongue, more murder using knives and sex, gang rape of an intoxicated girl, a Frankenstein type monster is created and some more however no where near as disturbing/scary as the first 2 seasons. I think it is pretty suitable for mature 14 year old or, if not mature 16/17 but it really all depends on your child, what you know they can handle and if they're going to take some good from it and appreciate that it is actually a great show. I hope my review helped :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 7, 2013

Disturbing, and Grisly

Rough violence, and graphic sex. It contains dark and disturbing images as well as strong violence that usually contains blood and/or gore. Graphic sex is shown and implyed, and there will sometimes be nudity usually butts, but the sex can be graphic. Milder language never any F words. Some alcohol use, and maybe a few drug references. Only worry is sex and violence as well as disturbing images. Suggested MPAA-R: Strong Disturbing Horror Violence and Gore, Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity, Grisly and Shocking Images, and some Language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II October 17, 2012

Sounds twisted!

Teen, 16 years old Written bydouble007 October 16, 2012

Disturbing violence and sex filled show is for mature teen's and adults only.

I've just begun this show, and so far it appears to have earned it's TVMA rating! The first thing i'm going to say is I enjoy this show very much. The acting is fantastic, and the story is terrific and chilling. Now to the content; The violence isn't constant, and it's more disturbing than it is bloody. A few people are seen hacked to death by a man (this is quite shocking). People are also shot, stabbed, beat, and strangled. There are a few scenes that show some grisly images of dead people. I should also warn you that lot's of the violence includes children. The sex in the show is also very strong. There are a few scenes of masterbation, rape, consensual sex between couples, and implied sex between an older teen and a young girl. There is also some mild nudity. The langauge isn't very heavy, but there are some very explicit sexual description involving words like p***y, c**ks**ker, and a few others I don't care to mention. There are a few uses of word's like s**t, d**n, and b***h, etc. There are no uses of f**k. Overall, violence: 9/10, sex: 9/10, langauge: 7/10
Adult Written byalekon July 30, 2012

17 & up

I just finished the 1st season of this series, and I gotta say there are a few scenes which were slightly disturbing for me. I, being a fan of this sort of series, tend to like horror, however, a few scenes were just disgusting and gross, not for kids for sure.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChambear November 16, 2011

A Bold Step Forward in the Horror Genre

American Horror Story starts off with a family from Boston who moves to Los Angeles after a tragic miscarriage during delivering their second child, as well as a bleak affair with a young woman. The family consists of Ben, Vivien, and Violet, as well as the young, distressed teen Tate, alongside an older woman named Constance, and Moira, the elderly, mysterious maid. The show displays a great variety of influences ranging from the films Halloween, The Shining, as well as Paranormal Activity. The show is quite dark in nature, and the house has a very bleak and tragic story from its past occupants. The show's pilot is the worst episode in terms of content. The pilot features cussing such as s--t and c--ksucker at a moderate, but not constant level, with no f-words. The pilot also features little to no blood, and no gore. The pilot really comes down to sexual dilemmas. There is a scene of sex between Vivien and the mysterious Rubber Man (a strange, unknown character clad in bondage clothing) with no nudity and is very short, and also features an even shorter, but more graphic scene of the younger version of Moira the maid pleasuring herself, and shows Ben seconds later doing the same with only buttocks shown for a few seconds. There is also flirting and an attempted, but not shown rape scene later in the series. Another important note is that the first episode is the only really bad episode in the series. The series so far (I have only seen about 4 other episodes) features no nudity or sex, some blood, and little to no language of the beginning pilot's caliber. There are some controversial messages such as of abortion and homosexuality, but shows to be an interesting step for horror for ages 16 and up who can muster a few scares.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySir Darry Koenig March 16, 2015

A Great Show, But Very Graphic And Only For 17+

American Horror Story is a great show that I consider a drama with horror elements. Although American Horror Story is an awesome show, it shouldn't be watched by kids who would try to copy the behavior in the show, which is why I say 17+ (even though I started watching it when I was 14). It has a lot of sexual scenes and sexual references through out the series occasionally showing buttocks. It also has a lot of graphic and gory violence. People should also know that each season gets more disturbing and the graphic sexual content and gory violence increases as well. The first season (Murder House) and the third season (Coven) are the most popular with teenagers because S1 has a main teenage character that's in love and S3 is slightly less violent and scary than the other seasons, but still extreme. But I still think that older teens should only watch if they can handle the gory violence and graphic sex scenes. To sum this up, AHS has... 1) strong sexual content including rape and torture 2) nudity 3) Gory, Violent, and Disturbing Scenes 5) suicide 4) Drug and Alcohol use If you don't want to see any of this or let your kids see this, then don't let them watch it. If you think they can handle it, just make sure they are mature older teens and watch it with them if you'd like to say things like "Oh, that's such a terrible thing to do" during violent scenes like rape scenes and killing scenes and "You better not do that to me" in scenes like where the child is being rude to the parent. Now, if you are an adult and want to know if it is a good series, it is a very good series. Like I said, it's a drama-horror that gets more intense and disturbing after each season. Season 1 and 3 are the less intense ones. Season 4 is the most intense so far as of early 2015.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycaydentyo March 13, 2015

AHS

I personally think that the show is amazing but it's not for a young audience. If your a teen or an adult then your fine but you really have to be mature about some if the the stuff that happens in this show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life February 17, 2015

AHS Review

American Horror Story: Murder House - 14+ This is the creepiest season by far. It deals with self harm, adultery, teen drug use, and all that other jazz. Its really sexual too, so, if you don't want your kid to be exposed to that stuff, don't watch it with them. The only nudity in this season is butts. Expect lots of cussing. American Horror Story: Asylum - 15+ This is favorite season, and it is terrifying. The sex is less frequent, but the scenes are more intense, and you see the sides of breasts. It's pretty violent, but not as violent as the first. American Horror Show: Coven - 13+ This season is the goriest and one of the most sexual, but its so teen oriented, and the gore is so unrealistic, that it's age appropriate. It all depends on the maturity of your child. It's one of my favorite seasons. American Horror Story: Freak Show - 17+ This is really great, but it's kind of boring compared to the other seasons. It's the most violent and sexual season by far. Again, butt In short, this show is my favorite show on tv at the moment, and it's overall best for 14+, but it depends on how mature they are.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

Not for kids 10 and under, maybe 11 year olds.

I think that you can not really keep your kids from knowing all about forms of sexual interactions and other things. Of course I wish they wouldn't know, but they will find out. Kids can be very mature, and as long as they like scariness, then you're good to go. Make sure you can trust your child!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnteplyne January 24, 2015

AHS

American Horry Story is definitely a well made TV show. Each of its unique seasons, centered on a different time and place, but with the same characters is undoubtedly a new idea. The show is highly inappropriate at parts, and requires you to fast-forward. Even though it contains scenes of self-mutilation, bullying, smoking, etc. It is a raw look on the horrors of life. it enables the viewer to travel with the characters and have an adventure alongside them. This creative and intuitive horror show blends mental illness, depression, and an American horror story into one.
Adult Written byAurora96 January 23, 2015

Don't let small children watch this

Season 1 of American Horror Story is fine based on violence, it can be pretty gory and frightening at times so I'm not sure if children below 11 would be able to take it, there is a lot of death, 1 mild rape scene and 2 detailed rape attempts. Based on sexual violence I really wouldn't let children younger than teens continue to watch the other seasons of this show. Without trying to spoil too much, a woman is captured and raped in season two, although the camera is only focused on their upper bodies, there is another rape on a man performed by a woman, and a detailed rape attempt on another woman all in season two. Season three only has one rape scene on the first episode where a teenage girl is drugged and gang raped by two men at a frat party, while other men stood around, watched and recorded it, it is in good detail and this obviously isn't suitable for children. I actually found I had to skip through it because I found it very unsettling to watch myself. Also in season three there is one almost rape attempt where a woman is walking down a dark road and a man approaches her while unzipping his pants, but is immediately killed by her. Also based on sex, season four seems to be the most appropriate for children as there is barely any sex shown at all. Although a sex tape is shown and a man masturbates a woman, they are not in great detail. A snuff tape story is shown, but no sex is shown in it. For children younger than teens, I do only suggest season one and season four. I find it a shame the producers keep resorting to rape in this show, the stories are very good and I wish my younger siblings could watch all of the seasons, but because of this, sadly not.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover4 January 22, 2015

good show

I stared watching the show when I was twelve and enjoyed it. I'm perfectly fine with some violence and sex. Watching the show really depends on how mature you are. If you can handle lots of inappropriate content I say watch it at 13. I don't find it scary but, to me it defies reality. Just in a way we don't always see. Btw, season 3 is amazing! Don't let people tell you otherwise.
Adult Written byzutara123 January 22, 2015

The acting and stories are great. It can be very disturbing though at times.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygracemilia January 18, 2015

Season 1

I've only seen season 1 of the show so far and I don't find it scary in the slightest. The language is iffy sometimes and quite a lot of the show is based around sex. It does contain some self harm and smoking but nothing overly bad, Overall it is a really good show :)
Teen, 14 years old Written by Swim3456 January 15, 2015

My favorite show of all time, but pretty inappropriate

this is by far my favorite tv show. The amount of sex and gore varies from season to season - season 1 (Murder House) being the worst in both aspects, although season 3 (Coven) is fairly gory and season 4 (Freakshow) focuses a lot both, but doesn't emphasize it. Season 4 also includes a ton of drinking and smoking. Each season does have their own positive role models and messages depending on how you look at it. Many characters stand up for themselves and their friends. Amazing amazing show and it is so fantastic and addicting, but make sure you are ready for it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTaylorsadvice_ January 12, 2015

Amazing show but for mature teens only.

Storyline and acting wise, this show is so good! It will get you hooked and you will want to see what happens. However, it is meant to shock you. There are many plot twists and there is a lot of sex and violence involved. Some 13 year olds and most 14 year olds will already know about sex, though, so if you trust your child and know that he/she is mentally mature, it will be ok. There is strong language, but definitely nothing that your child hasn't heard for years at school. The show uses the words bitch, pussy, dick, shit, and cock but no fucks. There is drinking, drugs, self-harm, and gore involved but you will see that in any show or movie. As long as your teen isn't too impressionable and won't start smoking as soon as he/she sees a character do it, he/she is mature enough to watch it. Again, beware of the very graphic sex. Full nudity is not shown but you can see what they are doing and the buttocks can be visible.
Adult Written bylmtrav January 9, 2015

SO GOOD but not for kids

Honestly, the appropriate age for this show is hard to determine because it really depends on the person. My sister who is 15 loves this show and can handle it just fine, but my mom can't even watch it for a minute. I know 15-year-olds who couldn't watch this and parents who love it. I don't normally like horror movies, but I love this show. Every season is different always keeping it fresh and interesting. The acting is amazing for television, and it is so original. The sexual content is pretty heavy, but a lot of teenagers have seen this stuff before and should be able to handle it if they are mature. Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit darker than 3 in my opinion so 3 may be the best to start with if you are unsure.
Adult Written bySarahH 4 January 4, 2015

It's really good, BUT really bad.

If you can't handle extremely disturbing things, such as rape (yes you actually see people being raped), murder, chopping body parts, demons etc. Do not watch American Horror Story. The story lines can be very enticing and very dramatic, the acting is absolutely fantastic, but the material is very disturbing. I had weird dreams for days from some of the episodes.