All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

Adult Written bylmtrav January 9, 2015

SO GOOD but not for kids

Honestly, the appropriate age for this show is hard to determine because it really depends on the person. My sister who is 15 loves this show and can handle it just fine, but my mom can't even watch it for a minute. I know 15-year-olds who couldn't watch this and parents who love it. I don't normally like horror movies, but I love this show. Every season is different always keeping it fresh and interesting. The acting is amazing for television, and it is so original. The sexual content is pretty heavy, but a lot of teenagers have seen this stuff before and should be able to handle it if they are mature. Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit darker than 3 in my opinion so 3 may be the best to start with if you are unsure.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnaconda3611 October 13, 2014

American Horror Story is NOT represented fairly here!

Now I am aware that the show is not for children of any age, but not many of the reviews are fair. Every storyline (and the content in that storyline) is very different because each season is a new chapter in an anthology series. Season 1 is the Murder House story, and is the only one reviewed here, and is risqué at first on purpose to attract an audience that can withstand the content, but the horror leaves and the drama starts about halfway through the season, and it does start to calm down. However season 2 Asylum only gets more twisted and horrific as it goes on, but it does calm down near the end, and to spite being the hardest to watch, it is the best quality wise. It does contain graphic, but nudity free, depictions of sickening sexual violence such as rape, necrophilia, tourture, and kidnapping and worse until it gets better when everyone gets what they deserve, and the heroic characters do suffer the worst fates, but it is also genius when you are not throwing up from the rape and necrophilia, and season 2 is not suitable for most adults, so stay far away from Asylum until you pre watch it and can keep your lunch down. Coven however is the third season and should have been TV-14. It still has much of the disturbing content, such as mothers tourtureing and raping their sons, and then sodomizing them with hoses of hot water before killing them, but even though this is part of the season, it is only implied and off screen, but still disturbing, but it is not nearly as bad as The Walking Dead. Season 4, called Freakshow has barely started, but seems like it is going to be in the 15-16 year old age demographic. Asylum is an iffy 18, coven is okay for 14-15 year olds, and season one is okay for 15-16 year olds. This is all depending on the person though, and a mature 15 year old should be able to handle it all. Compared to Game Of Thrones, it is not as adult as that, but is older than what a walking dead watcher should see. So I think if you can see walking dead, but not game of thrones, then this is perfect. And even though it is hard to watch, it does give out give messages of equality, acceptance, and love.
Adult Written byTecFan09 March 29, 2013

Spooky, Crazy, Dramatic Fun. For the Grown-Ups Eyes Only.

A great, very well made, twisted horror and drama series, great for adults. Acting is incredible, characters are extremely flawed but likable, and the story is addicting and fun to follow. Not for children, or even some teens, I'd say 14-15 at the youngest, and that's if they're mature enough to handle it. There are explicit sex scenes, teens and adults using drugs and alcohol, violence, gore, self-mutilation, extremely poor role-models, and lots of murder.
Adult Written byModmom October 8, 2015

Too Graphic Even For A ModMom

I think the show is disgusting and twisted. I'm open to all sorts of Hollywood scripts - not this one! Not for Kids! This has too many horrific scenes involving sex and violence. I think it's inappropriate for some adults and all children. I think that the cast at times is stellar, and I'm shocked that these actors would waste their time on such trash. By the way, I'm a big fan of HBO's True Blood & AMC's Walking Dead. What is that tell you? It tells you that American Horror Story is too disturbing for all children and teens - and frankly adults. I got through three episodes. Nightmare content. Deviant sexual violence of all sorts imaginable. Not positive for a child's brain or mine, an adult, seriously.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert June 11, 2012

A Quality Thriller That May Offend Some

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: This is a really creepy (but amazing) show. I'm 16 years old, and there were a few things in the show that even disturbed me (and it takes a lot). This show is on the verge of pushing limits with television. The violence is more graphic that what you would see on a TV show on a network. There is gore. Guts spilling out of someone, teenagers cutting themselves. One character goes mad and shoots thirteen teenagers at his school. The sexual content is a little more frequent. One character was caught having an affair (which prompted them to move), A couple scenes show characters "playing with themselves". There is sex off screen and on screen. One scene even shows a rape. There is only a little nudity. Buttocks are mainly shown and sometimes the side of a woman's breasts. The language is strong. Basically, every word is uttered except for the "F" word. Although it's not as big, there are some drugs in the show. A teenager smokes. One did coke before shooting kids. This show may be incredibly disturbing to most people, but it's an interesting and cool TV show. When they say viewer discretion is advised.. they mean it. AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM: The sophomore season (which takes place in an asylum in the 60's) is more graphic than the first season. In literally every episode, there is (not-so-graphic) nudity. Their form of punishment is spanking patients, so there are a lot of bare buttocks. There is also sex. The modern day couple talk sexy and the woman performs oral on the male while he sticks his arm in a room. As a reason, his arm gets torn off. The violence is much more graphic than the previous season. A doctor hammers a patient's eye out to replace their brain, the same doctor experiments with the patients and dumps their remains off into the woods for a hungry creature. A nymphomaniac got her legs cut off. The serial killer "bloody face" skins woman and makes masks and furniture out of it. The killer also holds a woman hostage in his basement. Language is about the same since last season. The only drug viewers see is marijuana, which is smoked in the first episode for a brief moment. Overall, this season is disturbing, sexy, and scarier than the last season. AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN- Not as dark as the previous season, but still with plenty of shock factor. Violence is in every episode (torture, slavery, burnings, and one witch's power is killing people through sex) and it gets graphic each time. The scenes in Madame LaLaurie's basement are particularly graphic (face peeled back, eyes and mouth sewed, cutting open stomach for organs). The sex this season is probably the most graphic and vivid as the others. Of course, there's rape; and new this season- bestiality, incest and implied necrophilia. As usual, only buttocks are shown. Language this season is same as others (along with drug content). Overall, the third season is fantastic! Highly recommended.
Teen, 16 years old Written byXXima_dinosaurXX December 12, 2011

wonderfully shocking show puts you on edge

Stumbling upon this show, i was sucked in from the very start. American Horror Story is however disturbing and creepy, and if you like that stuff as much as i do, you'll fall in love with it. The plot is complex and dark, in itself it is quite creative. For those age 16 and up I think this show would be one you would not want to miss out on. So many twists and turns, you never know what is going to happen next. You will be on the edge of your seat. However this is a show you do not want children to watch due to mature content, i would say 15 and under should NOT watch this show. Sexual scenes, violence, language and adult themes and much more. But other than that its a lovely show, for those of you who can handle it, check it out, you won't be disappointed (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 14, 2011

Especially for the horror genre, violence is the least concern. It's still quite a mature show, but the TV-MA rating is mostly unnecessary.

This review is regarding the pilot episode. Violence: The visuals are edited to make it look twisted and creepy. We also hear the usual, sudden horror movie music when something shocking comes up. All we really SEE, though, is scars on a teenager's wrist and light gashes on faces. Sex: We see a man naked from behind. He stands in front of a window, and we hear groaning, allowing us to assume he is "pleasing himself". There is also discussion among teens. Profanity refers to genitalia. Language: LOTS. Various forms of "s--t". Nothing "f--k" or stronger, surprisingly. Drugs: We see tobacco cigarettes, and we hear mentions of cocaine.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNikhilb_123 March 13, 2016

American Horror Story

American horror story is a good show but some series are better than others. Every season contains quite a bit of sex, partial nudity, bloody violence and language. Here is an overview of each season: Season 1 - a mixed season, some episodes are better than others. Quite a lot of sex and violence. 7/10. Season 2 (Asylum) - the best season. This season is more disturbing and the first and has more sex and violence. A very good season. 9/10. Season 3(Coven) - Starts off not so good but then improves. Tamer than the other seasons, much more light hearted. Still quite a lot of bloody violence, some sex and nudity, language and disturbing scenes. A good season. 8/10. Season 4(Freak Show) - A very mixed season. Overall quite disappointing. Has the most bizarre sex scenes but not a lot of nudity. Strong violence and language. This season probably has the best episode of the show which is episode 10(orphans) that really impresses because it is incredibly moving and proves that the show doesn't need sex. The finale is completely disappointing and clichéd. 6/10. Season 5(Hotel) - The worst season so far. Has the most sex and quite a lot of female nudity which is unnecessary. Lady Gaga as the lead just doesn't work and nearly every episode is just boring. A lot of violence and some language as usually. The first episode contains an extremely explicit rape scene which is disturbing and totally not needed. This season has made me wonder if this show has lost its touch. 4/10. Overall American horror story is good but the later seasons aren't so much and the show contains strong violence and sex which is not needed.
Adult Written byTescione October 16, 2015

Bad

People under 17 should never watch this show without adult supervision
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 28, 2013

American Horror Story

Even though it might be shocking for most young teens, this Tv Series delivers a graphic and false extreme violence and excesive use of drugs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake Mann May 30, 2016

13 year old

As far as the first season goes, I watched when I was twelve and had no issues with it, other than sometimes I thought about when I was trying to go to sleep, but not much at all. It was not scary at all. Season 1 is appropriate for 12 and up. Season two is a different story. I watched it when I was thirteen and had to stop half way through. It is terrifying. Season two is appropriate for 16 and up. Season 3 is okay. It is more scary than season 1, but not as scary as season 2. I would say this season is recommended for mature kids 14 and up and hesitant kids 15 and up. Season 4. If your child is scared of clowns or that sort of thing, don't watch this season until you're 16. But if not, this is the 2nd least scary season. This season is perfect for kids 13 and up. Season 5. This season is insane. It is very scary and sexual. not only that but there is the most swearing, and disturbing images. There is also sex with dead bodies which is disgusting. 17 and up for this season.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAndersenMurray12 January 22, 2016

Honestly built up too much.

You can read the IMDb parents guide and see many themes of rape and child molestation, but that is only a small part. This show is meant for a mature audience who understands the difference between consensual sex and rape, and that nothing shown in this program is meant to be performed in reality. You may see the TV-MA rating and immediately put it down, but give it a shot. Season one has one to 2 scenes of nudity, only showing male buttocks. This is nothing your child hasn't been introduced to. I would say season 2 is a bit more sexual with themes of homosexual discrimination and sexual remarks. On the other hand, violence is definitely distributed throughout and may be disturbing to some viewers. If your child has nightmares over any horror movie, I do not recommend this show. Language is a very small part of the show but it is put in there from Tim to time. I would say a very mature 13 year old could watch this show with no influence what so ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjustoneofthosegirls May 4, 2015

Its soo addicting yet its not good for kids 14 and under

So at first I was iffy about this show, I went on common sense media and looked at the reviews that scared me a lot. But I ignored the reviews and decided to see for myself. So here is my true review for you all who are looking to see if your child is watching an age appropriate show or if A teen needs some insigt about this show. Well first, horror is my least favorite genre. Yet, this is my favorite show. It is highly addicting and I got through the first season in three days. The seasons differ. I think that it will "scar' kids under the age of 13, but thats all. it has some swearing, a bit of sexual content, (but get past it) and its really gory. so if you hate Gore then DO NOT watch this show. A misunderstood girl cuts herself in the first season, but a ghost gets her to stop which sends a good message. I think. Anyway, from the point of view of a 15-16 year old I think that this show is fantastic and you should absolutely watch it, THE THEME SONG IS SCARIER THEN THE ACTUAL SHOW enjoy :)
Adult Written byReviewer12345678910 April 23, 2015

Mature But Really Good

This show can be incredibly graphic both with violence and sex. Definetly not for younger teens, but older and horror-loving teens will love it. Part of the scare factor of the show is the psychological aspect that goes with the violence and sex. Viewers need to be old enough to understand that part, which helps to put the seemingly over-the-top graphic violence and sex into perspective of the plot and show. A part of what makes it scary is the reality of some of the aspects; it is not just supernatural and cheap scares. Some of the situations depicted have a distinct 'this could happen to me' feeling, and this leads viewers to question their own realities as well. The best way to decide if it's okay for your kids is to watch it ourself. It is a fact that American Horror Story is a violent psycho-sexual horror show. It is up to each parent to decide how much is too much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCharisLia April 20, 2014

American Horror Story

I loved this TV show, I have just started on series two and it's one of the best programmes I've seen in a while. I think most teens would be fine watching this on their own, I watch it on my own. Then again, I have grown up watching suspense filled horror films and gory police dramas (Silent Witness, ect...) but my younger sister watched a few episodes with me and she was fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written by_charle_s November 1, 2014

It's a great show...

I'm 13, and from all the posts on instagram and people keep on say "DO YOU WATCH IT! YOU NEED TO WATCH IT" so I thought i'd give it a try. So from the first episode i knew what i was in for... It is not appropriate for kids under 13. There is alot of subtle nudity and alot of sex but it shows nothing. There is alot of swearing and alot of violence and alot of drinking and smoking. I can see why parents can think that it is so inappropriate but they have to understand that we have seen worse.
Kid, 10 years old October 6, 2014

AMERICAN HORROR STORY

my favorite show ever. ive seen all 3 season and i cant wait until freakshow the show has some gory scenes but i enjoy how they bring atmosphere and realism to the series. They story is great so its not slasher film horror. if you or your kids cant realise/ understand its amazing makeup and atmosphere (not to be mean) then u shouldn't watch it. it depends on the viewers. i am ten i do not get nightmares or anything. it depends. there are triggers like suicide and self harm so.
Adult Written byaryenne December 13, 2013

Mature audience only

This is not for children. If your teen is mature and interested in viewing, it should be ok. But there is nothing about this show that improves your life or makes it worth watching.
Parent Written byhannahbananna85 May 24, 2013

I'm almost hooked, but...

This show captures you, but in the first episode, the sexuality is overwhelming. I wouldn't even want my husband to see this!
Adult Written byalekon July 30, 2012

17 & up

I just finished the 1st season of this series, and I gotta say there are a few scenes which were slightly disturbing for me. I, being a fan of this sort of series, tend to like horror, however, a few scenes were just disgusting and gross, not for kids for sure.