All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySarlinja November 21, 2013

Great Show

Very gory but also very addictive.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 7, 2013

Disturbing, and Grisly

Rough violence, and graphic sex. It contains dark and disturbing images as well as strong violence that usually contains blood and/or gore. Graphic sex is shown and implyed, and there will sometimes be nudity usually butts, but the sex can be graphic. Milder language never any F words. Some alcohol use, and maybe a few drug references. Only worry is sex and violence as well as disturbing images. Suggested MPAA-R: Strong Disturbing Horror Violence and Gore, Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity, Grisly and Shocking Images, and some Language.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatherineodon May 27, 2013

For Mature Teens only.

I'm 14, and I watched this after a recommendation from a friend the same age. It does have lots of violence and sex, but it is a good show if you are mature enough to handle it. It's not appropriate for some kids, but I think it would be okay for a mature 13 or 14 year old.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II October 17, 2012

Sounds twisted!

Teen, 16 years old Written bydouble007 October 16, 2012

Disturbing violence and sex filled show is for mature teen's and adults only.

I've just begun this show, and so far it appears to have earned it's TVMA rating! The first thing i'm going to say is I enjoy this show very much. The acting is fantastic, and the story is terrific and chilling. Now to the content; The violence isn't constant, and it's more disturbing than it is bloody. A few people are seen hacked to death by a man (this is quite shocking). People are also shot, stabbed, beat, and strangled. There are a few scenes that show some grisly images of dead people. I should also warn you that lot's of the violence includes children. The sex in the show is also very strong. There are a few scenes of masterbation, rape, consensual sex between couples, and implied sex between an older teen and a young girl. There is also some mild nudity. The langauge isn't very heavy, but there are some very explicit sexual description involving words like p***y, c**ks**ker, and a few others I don't care to mention. There are a few uses of word's like s**t, d**n, and b***h, etc. There are no uses of f**k. Overall, violence: 9/10, sex: 9/10, langauge: 7/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byViolet Langdon July 16, 2016

It is good, and entertaining. Unique

I have older siblings, I am the younger. All of them watched American Horror Story. Personally I was not interested in watching that serie because that kind of ''films'' weren't my favorite, since I get scared pretty easily, but my siblings always were talking about AHS, so one day the curiosity wins so i saw it the ''Pilot'' and I actually liked it, even do some faces are scary, you want to know they history and what happened with them. So I finish -Season 1- and then i was about to see-Season 2- but then I told my mom I was seeing it, and she didn't like that, so we make a deal that consisted -'' If I really wanted to see the serie I needed to be with her''- So I accepted because I actually liked the idea. The serie is just awesome, but to serious is has so much sex, sometimes the characters talk in a bad language, and there is lost of violence, like numerous of murders, hits, etc, and teens smoke. In the scenes that weren't appropriate for my age my mom told me to cover my eyes so I could't seeing it, such as sex. I really like the serie anyways, the way I would describe it is -UNIQUE- Because has many themes I recommend that teens of 13 to up watched the serie THANKS <3
Parent Written bynewtftmcgee December 17, 2015
Adult Written byTescione October 16, 2015

Bad

People under 17 should never watch this show without adult supervision
Adult Written byemilys2558 August 15, 2015

American Horror Story is amazing!

American Horror Story while creepy and disturbing isn't too scary. I myself am 15 and I love it. I even watch it in the dark in the middle of the night and am not scared at all. There are a lot of deaths and gruesome scenes, but overall it's a great show.
Adult Written byReviewer12345678910 April 23, 2015

Mature But Really Good

This show can be incredibly graphic both with violence and sex. Definetly not for younger teens, but older and horror-loving teens will love it. Part of the scare factor of the show is the psychological aspect that goes with the violence and sex. Viewers need to be old enough to understand that part, which helps to put the seemingly over-the-top graphic violence and sex into perspective of the plot and show. A part of what makes it scary is the reality of some of the aspects; it is not just supernatural and cheap scares. Some of the situations depicted have a distinct 'this could happen to me' feeling, and this leads viewers to question their own realities as well. The best way to decide if it's okay for your kids is to watch it ourself. It is a fact that American Horror Story is a violent psycho-sexual horror show. It is up to each parent to decide how much is too much.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life February 17, 2015

AHS Review

American Horror Story: Murder House - 14+ This is the creepiest season by far. It deals with self harm, adultery, teen drug use, and all that other jazz. Its really sexual too, so, if you don't want your kid to be exposed to that stuff, don't watch it with them. The only nudity in this season is butts. Expect lots of cussing. American Horror Story: Asylum - 15+ This is favorite season, and it is terrifying. The sex is less frequent, but the scenes are more intense, and you see the sides of breasts. It's pretty violent, but not as violent as the first. American Horror Show: Coven - 13+ This season is the goriest and one of the most sexual, but its so teen oriented, and the gore is so unrealistic, that it's age appropriate. It all depends on the maturity of your child. It's one of my favorite seasons. American Horror Story: Freak Show - 17+ This is really great, but it's kind of boring compared to the other seasons. It's the most violent and sexual season by far. Again, butt In short, this show is my favorite show on tv at the moment, and it's overall best for 14+, but it depends on how mature they are.
Adult Written byAurora96 January 23, 2015

Don't let small children watch this

Season 1 of American Horror Story is fine based on violence, it can be pretty gory and frightening at times so I'm not sure if children below 11 would be able to take it, there is a lot of death, 1 mild rape scene and 2 detailed rape attempts. Based on sexual violence I really wouldn't let children younger than teens continue to watch the other seasons of this show. Without trying to spoil too much, a woman is captured and raped in season two, although the camera is only focused on their upper bodies, there is another rape on a man performed by a woman, and a detailed rape attempt on another woman all in season two. Season three only has one rape scene on the first episode where a teenage girl is drugged and gang raped by two men at a frat party, while other men stood around, watched and recorded it, it is in good detail and this obviously isn't suitable for children. I actually found I had to skip through it because I found it very unsettling to watch myself. Also in season three there is one almost rape attempt where a woman is walking down a dark road and a man approaches her while unzipping his pants, but is immediately killed by her. Also based on sex, season four seems to be the most appropriate for children as there is barely any sex shown at all. Although a sex tape is shown and a man masturbates a woman, they are not in great detail. A snuff tape story is shown, but no sex is shown in it. For children younger than teens, I do only suggest season one and season four. I find it a shame the producers keep resorting to rape in this show, the stories are very good and I wish my younger siblings could watch all of the seasons, but because of this, sadly not.
Kid, 10 years old October 6, 2014

AMERICAN HORROR STORY

my favorite show ever. ive seen all 3 season and i cant wait until freakshow the show has some gory scenes but i enjoy how they bring atmosphere and realism to the series. They story is great so its not slasher film horror. if you or your kids cant realise/ understand its amazing makeup and atmosphere (not to be mean) then u shouldn't watch it. it depends on the viewers. i am ten i do not get nightmares or anything. it depends. there are triggers like suicide and self harm so.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014
Season 1:Bloody a violent a scary.sexual content a brief nudity.language a some drug iffy 17 Season 2:Graphic disturbing a violent a gory a scary.some strong sexual content a some nudity a strong language off 17 Season 3:Violent a gory.sexual content a brief nudity.language.some drug iffy 17
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlink41 February 2, 2014

Awesome but mature

This is a great show but it is very mature. There's a lot of bad language and slightly graphic sex, though no 'parts' are shown. It's pretty scary and a lot of the imagery is kind of disturbing. Definitely not okay for young kids. I say maybe 14+ depending on the child.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie lover xx January 7, 2014

The Positives and Negatives of an Amazing Show

I've just finished both of the first season (and all of the third season so far) I've read a lot of the reviews just mentioning the sex, drugs, gore and violence, yes they are there almost all the time there are some positive role models, for example Kit (Evan Peters) in Asylum Wrongly accused of murdering women, had two wives who both died, was wrongly locked away in a mental asylum, almost sent to death, canned, whipped and locked up however even through all that he remained a good person, I'm pretty sure he's the only main character that didn't kill anyone. He took a young woman's 20 lashes as well as his own after the two were found having sex (explicit but not graphic and they loved each other he went on to marry her later so it wasn't just some fling) and even after he had been released and the people he cared about had died he made sure he went back to help the nun whom accused him and whipped him mercilessly, Kit is an extremely good role model and teaches to forgive. I cannot think of a decent role model in season 1 however in season 3 from the 9 episodes I've seen so far Zoe (Tassia Farmiga) seems like a good role model who would put herself in danger to help her friends even though there not always there for her and feels genuine compassion for some characters even when no one else does. It also gives out some positive messages- Season 1; Stand up for yourself; Be there for the ones you love; Never give up when times are tough. Season 2; (I found there were quite a lot of strong female characters who stood up for themselves, it really gives off a good message to young girls, they don't need to be have a man to be successful as demonstrated by Lana) Don't let others tell you who you are, only you decide who you are; Don''t ever let a man make you feel worth any less than him; Forgive; Never give up; Don't have sex in an abandoned asylum; You can achieve your dreams if you work hard enough. Season 3; Stick by your friends; Be loyal to those you care about; Don't be racist (or sexist or homophobic or anything like that, those two weren't shown in AHS but I thought I'd add them anyway); keep an open mind. Even though it has the good role models and positive messages there is a hell of a lot of language, drinking smoking, some drugs, sex (never graphic but almost always explicit), violence, torture, human experiments, disfigurement, mutilation, self-harm and suicide (in season 1 Violet self-harms and later commits suicide but overdosing on pills, also kind of dreams/imagines slitting her neck to end it all, also Tate admits he used to self-harm but tries to get Violet to stop, also in season 1 a woman shoots her husband then herself, season 2 a man shoots himself leading to a car crash then again in season 3 another person shoot them self), some cannibalism,rape, and then some. In terms of scariness (I am someone who personally can't deal with jump scares or normal horror movies however I cope with these fine, although they sometimes shake me up a little and shock me) There are no jump scares in any of them, and if things do suddenly appear you were expecting it and were meant to be expecting it. All the horror is done in a way I think a lot of horror movies (especially newer ones) disregard, even though they use the shock factor with the gore and violence you get a feeling of genuine horror, they use an extremely good plot with great characters and superb acting so don't rely on cheap theatrics to scare you. tl;dr? Here's a quick summary of all so far- SEASON 1: The Murder House- Fairly scary. Not much violence however a lot of sex, the whole storyline is based on an affair and a miscarriage. Ghost/spirits are almost always there, gay sex, kinkiness, rape, and of course murder (via gun, neck snapping, knife, shovel, drowning, some creature in the basement that you never really find out what exactly it is (it's implied to be a baby that was abandoned years ago, pretty sure it is one of the spirits trapped in the house), car hit and run and some other things. SEASON 2: Asylum- Scariest season by far. Sadistic ex-nazi doctor, evil nuns, aliens, mental patients and (this is what really got me) a killer called Bloody Face who abducts women, skins them alive, makes furniture out of the skin and bones (some of the furniture is seen like a bowl made from what appeared to be a human skull and a lamp with the lampshade made out of human skin), decapitates them and wears their faces as masks. Dead bodies are seen, some rape, a horrible, horrible torture takes place in which a woman's legs are cut off and her skin is burnt and she becomes very disfigured and mutilated, someone's arm is ripped of, people are shot, and murdered in many ways, another hit and run (not graphic again and a lot of remorse is shown) SEASON 3: Coven- Least scary. Only disturbing thing about it is the way Madame Delphine LaLaurie treats her black slaves and is extremely racist, she also tortures her own daughters when she finds them planning to kill her, acid is thrown over somebody's face (blinding them, witches are burnt at the stake, someone cuts off their own tongue, more murder using knives and sex, gang rape of an intoxicated girl, a Frankenstein type monster is created and some more however no where near as disturbing/scary as the first 2 seasons. I think it is pretty suitable for mature 14 year old or, if not mature 16/17 but it really all depends on your child, what you know they can handle and if they're going to take some good from it and appreciate that it is actually a great show. I hope my review helped :)
Adult Written byalekon July 30, 2012

17 & up

I just finished the 1st season of this series, and I gotta say there are a few scenes which were slightly disturbing for me. I, being a fan of this sort of series, tend to like horror, however, a few scenes were just disgusting and gross, not for kids for sure.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChambear November 16, 2011

A Bold Step Forward in the Horror Genre

American Horror Story starts off with a family from Boston who moves to Los Angeles after a tragic miscarriage during delivering their second child, as well as a bleak affair with a young woman. The family consists of Ben, Vivien, and Violet, as well as the young, distressed teen Tate, alongside an older woman named Constance, and Moira, the elderly, mysterious maid. The show displays a great variety of influences ranging from the films Halloween, The Shining, as well as Paranormal Activity. The show is quite dark in nature, and the house has a very bleak and tragic story from its past occupants. The show's pilot is the worst episode in terms of content. The pilot features cussing such as s--t and c--ksucker at a moderate, but not constant level, with no f-words. The pilot also features little to no blood, and no gore. The pilot really comes down to sexual dilemmas. There is a scene of sex between Vivien and the mysterious Rubber Man (a strange, unknown character clad in bondage clothing) with no nudity and is very short, and also features an even shorter, but more graphic scene of the younger version of Moira the maid pleasuring herself, and shows Ben seconds later doing the same with only buttocks shown for a few seconds. There is also flirting and an attempted, but not shown rape scene later in the series. Another important note is that the first episode is the only really bad episode in the series. The series so far (I have only seen about 4 other episodes) features no nudity or sex, some blood, and little to no language of the beginning pilot's caliber. There are some controversial messages such as of abortion and homosexuality, but shows to be an interesting step for horror for ages 16 and up who can muster a few scares.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymorgan-heathrow August 28, 2016
Adult Written byAimee G. August 28, 2016

Great series! AHS was made to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I started watching this show when I was 13, and it immediately became my favorite show. Although this show is designed for a mature audience, (it features nudity, sex, violence, substance abuse, and language), if you think you child is mature enough to watch it and they are a fan of thrillers, then by all means. To be honest, kids in this age have already witnessed all the "bad things" that are represented in the series. There are positive messages in the series, amongst all the bad things.