All member reviews for American Horror Story

Dark, twisted adult drama is designed to shock and disturb.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 14 years old Written byalexman774 October 11, 2011

Amazing but may be disturbing for some.

Ok so I am 14 years old and my da found out this show was TVMA one day before it came out. He knew how excited I was to see the show so he decided to let me watch with his supervision. First of all the show is not quite as bloody as you may expect but it does contain disturbing and frightening images which may scar younger children. The show also contains some strong language including s*** and c***sucker which may not be a good thing if kids repeat what they hear. There is also a large focus on sex. The show tries to use sex as one of it's elements to scare. There are james bond style sex scenes (cant see bad parts but you can tell what they are doing) but you never see any nudity except for butt. There are also messages about how much pain and suffering is in the world which may be sad for young children. In conclusion this show may be good for mature 14 year olds but my dad will continue to watch each upcoming episode with me to be safe and I recommend you do that to.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykamiekirk November 8, 2011

Sexual perversion, adultery, and gore is too much for television, let alone children.

I've been very critical of sexuality in media, and after the seeing the first few episodes, it seemed that the sexual perversion was too much for basic cable. The maid/husband masturbation thing was too much for ANY television in general. Whether full nudity was shown or not, it was way too much. I would never allow siblings to watch it.
Parent Written byh1974 November 4, 2011

Dark moody and addictive. 16+

Serious adult themes permiate this visually stunning and suprisngly well acted hour long "nine inch nails"video meets twin Peaks drama. Strong female leads help to offset some serious misbehaving men and ghouls. Adultry, abortion, gay sex, and murder are common themes as well as a "columbine" type of undercurrent revolving aroun Tate. Not for the immature or most teens under 16.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 May 5, 2012

cool

awesome
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2012

Amazing and insane Drama. But not for kids. At ALL.

SEASON 1: Amazing show about a family who moves from Boston to L.A., to escape their troubled past. They move into L.A.'s infamous "Murder House". The show is full of sex, rape, violence, vulgar uncensored language, smoking by teens, and of course, a horror themed tone. (SPOILER ALERT FOR PARENTS) A woman dies in graphic child birth, a woman is raped (graphically) by a man in a rubber suit (partially on screen. No genitalia or breasts shown), Every episode starts with an opening, explaining the past, which then relates to what happens during the episode, a girl with down syndrome gets hit by a car (and is revealed dead), the nurse gives two blow jobs in the first season, a man cheats on his wife and she walks in on him, then slices him with a knife. The show focuses on sexual violence. NOT FOR KIDS. I am a child, and I feel others around my age would be scared, or "scarred for life" after watching this. (Horror and "adult themes" don't bother me or really effect me. Many children would be confused while watching this.)
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion December 21, 2012

Astoundingly Original, Scary and Shocking

American Horror Story is a love it or hate it TV show. I bet you will find next to no one in between. Many praise its brilliant originality and others condemn its shock and awe tactics. I'm solidly in the former group. The show is explicit and not for kids, but adult horror fans will find a treat here: something unlike anything they've ever seen before, full to the brim with genuine scares, absolutely stunning performances, technical peerlessness, and (believe it or not) perceptive, emotional storylines. The first thing you should know about this show is that it's an anthology production: each season, while retaining several key actors, covers a completely different story. Two seasons have aired so far: the first being more of a psychosexual thriller revolving around a modern haunted house, and the second more of a straight-ahead horror story that takes place in a 1960s-era insane asylum. Of the two seasons, the second is more explicit, containing much darker thematic material and graphic violence. The violence in both seasons is bloody and frequent. Season 1: Hand-to-hand combat results in dislocated legaments, snapped necks, and blood-covered wounds. Stabbings and shootings are shown with gore. One woman is shot in the eye, and we see her bloody socket. People are beaten to death with shovels. Gore-covered corpses, returned as ghosts, are shown almost constantly. Sexual assault is preluded, but almost always interrupted. A blood-soaked childbirth scene is shown. Season 2: A lot more gore than in Season 1 is shown, and the violence has a grittier feel to it. The ground meat of humans is shown being fed to quasi-human monsters. A serial killer skins his victims and wears their skin as a mask. Graphic stabbings, Nazi-esque medical experimentation, dismemberment, and axe choppings get much screen time. A woman is raped, but no nudity is shown. Sex in both seasons is not as explicit as some would have you believe, but it is still frequent. Season 1 contains rear nudity of a male character only, but Season 2 contains occassional female topless nudity as well. Both seasons contain sex scenes, but they are brief and contain very little, if any, nudity. Both men and women are shown masturbating in both seasons, once again, without on-screen nudity. One disturbing scene shows a woman being made to fondle a nude male character (off-screen) as an attempt to "cure" her lesbianism. Profanity in both seasons is frequent, but milder than your usual R-rated movie (no "f" words yet).
Teen, 15 years old Written bymulbytime October 13, 2011

Creepy Show Revolves Around Sex

I am a huge horror movie fan, and my favorite type of horror movie is the creepy, eerie, supernatural movies. (paranormal activity, the shining, etc.) This show is right up my alley. It's creepy, scary, gory (but not too) and very mysterious. However, there is a lot of sex in the show. Nothing is explicit, but the male lead has a history of adultery, committed with a 16 year old girl. Lots of sexual content revolves around Ben (Dylan McDermott). Also, I don't want to spoil anything, so all I can say is that some of the sex (not all) is crucial to the story. All in all, I would recommend this show. But be careful who you show it to. Probably around 13 is a reasonable age to watch this show, but until they're around 14, i recommend watching it with them just to censor anything out. I can only suspect that there will be more sex and violence in future episodes.
Parent Written byrachpanthera October 29, 2011

Not for kids, no way

I have always loved thriller type horror movies and this show delivers on that. The gore as I have seen isn't too bad. However, the sexual deviency throughout the show is in no way appropriate for anyone under 18. For me, just because you don't see genitalia doesn't mean that the sex scene aren't graphic. They focus heavily on bondage, sexual violence, and lewd language. As a 29 year old married female, I would feel wierd watching this with my parents even now. And a 6th grader watching it, NO WAY
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 2, 2012

Dark psychological-horror drama intended to be viewed by adults only.

American Horror Story is about a troubled married man named Dr. Harmon, whom is a Psychiatrist who takes his wife and teenage daughter to a mansion just to get away from the past troubles they've experienced, including his wife, Vivien Harmon, who's witnessed him cheating on a younger woman in their previous home, and their teenage daughter who has a dangerous habit of self-mutilating herself and having apparent thoughts of suicide. Their neighbor, Constance, knows more about the house than they do, and by then it shows the mansion's twisted and disturbing past, and especially the horrific acts committed by the owners. The violence that occurs is very disturbing and shocking because of their daughter's graphic self-mutilation (cutting her wrists with razor blades), a woman brutally shoots and kills her cheating husband for witnessing him attempting to rape their housekeeper, and a woman bites off a man's penis and another suffocates him to death with a plastic bag. There's one infamous scene where Tate goes on a very realistic school shooting spree and you see students and teachers get brutally shot and gruesomely murdered. Language is infrequent but strong at times (uses of sh*t, godd**n, d*mn, h*ll, and some use of c**k and c**ksucker). There's some drug use where Dr. Harmon's daughter takes pills and smokes cigarettes with a student, and they both get high on some occasions. You do see eerie and disturbing imagery of the ghosts whom once resided around the neighborhood including ones who actually owned that mansion, and the grisly injuries they once sustained when they were murdered are still on them in ghost form.
Adult Written bylovelaughing101 November 18, 2011

Eerie and disturbing, it's rated TVMA for a reason.

This show is full of language, sex and masturbation, as well as just flat-out disturbing content. There's at least one murder in every episode, often very graphic. The show itself has a very eerie feel to it. Although I really enjoy it, it's definitely a controversial horror series for adults only, and should definitely not be viewed by children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byghs1441 October 26, 2011

Graphic and Great

This show is graphic in pretty much everything it does. If there's language, it will be strong and audible (exluding c**t and f**k.) If there is violence it will be graphic and scary. If there is sex, it will be under serious circumstances, and it will be minimally censored. Mature 14 year olds and even 13 year olds can watch this as long as they have no problem with dark, disturbing violence and sex, and strong language. Now that that's out of the way, i think this is one of the best shows on television. Its filled with dark (really, really, really dark) humor, suspense and gore. But I think the most interesting and different part of the show is that it gives the audience close to no insight as to any of the secrets behind the house, only revealing a portion of what is sure to be a huge reveal at the end of the series each episode. This is an amazing show with even greater potential, but it is not for the faint of heart.
Adult Written byTecFan09 March 29, 2013

Spooky, Crazy, Dramatic Fun. For the Grown-Ups Eyes Only.

A great, very well made, twisted horror and drama series, great for adults. Acting is incredible, characters are extremely flawed but likable, and the story is addicting and fun to follow. Not for children, or even some teens, I'd say 14-15 at the youngest, and that's if they're mature enough to handle it. There are explicit sex scenes, teens and adults using drugs and alcohol, violence, gore, self-mutilation, extremely poor role-models, and lots of murder.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byLuvBinAMommy08 October 16, 2013

Not for kids under 17

sometimes gets crazy and disturbing. My husband and I watch this and I can safely say my kids will not be watching this any time soon.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOnlyForForever January 4, 2012

Disturbing

The title of "horror" makes you think of blood and probably some sex appeal. That is honestly an understatement. In the first episode, a man masturbates after walking in on a woman masturbating this was after the wife caught him in bed with one of his students and cuts his arm with a knife and then the daughter is shown smoking and the wife is haunted by two dead kids. The smoking gets the girl in a cat fight which leads to them torturing the girl who started it. The girl is shown cutting right as one of her dad's mental patients walks in and tells her how to kill herself instead of cutting across her wrists. all in the first episode. But You don't see much in the sex scenes, you hear it and then only see them naked from their backside. I would honestly advise you to keep children and most teens away from this show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPart IV October 17, 2012

Wow, televison now days is disturbing and sick!

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bySmurfette711 January 12, 2012

Not for kids

I can't tell you how much this is not for kids. Sex in many forms (just because they don't show full nudity does not mean there's not any sex in it), drugs, drinking, cursing, abortion, sadistic doctors and dentists, ghosts, hanging death, corpse mutilation, whatever that thing was in the basement (?!?!?), suicide, homicide, child abuse, mass murder...I could go on and on.
Teen, 16 years old Written byXXima_dinosaurXX December 12, 2011

wonderfully shocking show puts you on edge

Stumbling upon this show, i was sucked in from the very start. American Horror Story is however disturbing and creepy, and if you like that stuff as much as i do, you'll fall in love with it. The plot is complex and dark, in itself it is quite creative. For those age 16 and up I think this show would be one you would not want to miss out on. So many twists and turns, you never know what is going to happen next. You will be on the edge of your seat. However this is a show you do not want children to watch due to mature content, i would say 15 and under should NOT watch this show. Sexual scenes, violence, language and adult themes and much more. But other than that its a lovely show, for those of you who can handle it, check it out, you won't be disappointed (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 14, 2011

Especially for the horror genre, violence is the least concern. It's still quite a mature show, but the TV-MA rating is mostly unnecessary.

This review is regarding the pilot episode. Violence: The visuals are edited to make it look twisted and creepy. We also hear the usual, sudden horror movie music when something shocking comes up. All we really SEE, though, is scars on a teenager's wrist and light gashes on faces. Sex: We see a man naked from behind. He stands in front of a window, and we hear groaning, allowing us to assume he is "pleasing himself". There is also discussion among teens. Profanity refers to genitalia. Language: LOTS. Various forms of "s--t". Nothing "f--k" or stronger, surprisingly. Drugs: We see tobacco cigarettes, and we hear mentions of cocaine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Movie Watcher May 28, 2013

American Horror Story

Even though it might be shocking for most young teens, this Tv Series delivers a graphic and false extreme violence and excesive use of drugs.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatherineodon May 27, 2013

For Mature Teens only.

I'm 14, and I watched this after a recommendation from a friend the same age. It does have lots of violence and sex, but it is a good show if you are mature enough to handle it. It's not appropriate for some kids, but I think it would be okay for a mature 13 or 14 year old.