Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for American Housewife

Funny premise overwhelmed by confused body-image humor.

Adult Written byJulianne C. January 29, 2017

Okay, what you would expect

Overall cute show. Like so many others where you watch it and seems fine, then out of the blue there is an inappropriate comment. Its so stressful having to watch for the inevitable crap they embed in these shows. Im to the point where I can tell by an episode's title if it will be more inappropriate. Anyway, I was hopeful in this show but then disappointed in episode three where the mother told the husband that she would reward him with a "quickie" and "would probably not do anything but lay there, but would talk dirty to him". It really isnt necessary. It wasnt connected to the story in any way. My son is 12. It isnt about sheltering him or pretending that these life things dont happen. That wouldnt be healthy. It is about the context. We are watching a sitcom for enjoyment. Here we are trying to relax, it becomes awkward, and suddenly Im forced to have a teaching moment. Let me decide when I have a teaching moment. It also kills me that shows that portray families with children under 14, would be rated 14+. Shows that have younger children appeal to familes with the same. So, my 10 year old and 12 would be interested in watching a show with kids the same age, but then the content isnt appropriate for them.. It doesnt make sense. There are no sitcoms I am aware of that have interesting entertaining content that is age appropriate for everyone in the family. How can that be? The alternative is watching a children's program that is too juvenile for almost everyone in the family. Are the individuals producing these shows that out of touch?
Adult Written byJchap April 30, 2019

Should be better

Cute stories, good acting, likeable characters. But, like every show, they have to take it to an unnecessary place. We stopped watching it when we saw the episode where the son was taking a ballet class, and was embarrassed by his erection. Yes, this may be a situation that comes up in life, but I don’t know I need to watch a show about it with my 9 year old. Adult people without children probably would not watch this show, it is about families. So, why not cater content to families? Omitting this type of thing, doesn’t make it Little House on the Prairie or cheesy, but it gives parents the confidence to watch a show without surprises. Or without the need to have a “learning discussion. “ I personally thought it was crude for the mother to refer to the erection as a “chubby”. If this is what you want your children to be exposed to, then it is the show for you. Otherwise, know there could be unexpected content.
Adult Written bydeniseps May 21, 2019

Musical

A musical show is always a bad idea! And, now American Housewife is doing it. Really? Why would anybody watch this? Or, any other sitcom that is turned into a musical.
Adult Written byPrabjotk October 28, 2018

Best family Show!

This show is my light. It’s helping me get out of Depression.

Adult Written byPenitentPasser July 6, 2018

Funniest TV show in a decade!

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much...in every episode! Normally I don't like the long explained jokes in TV shows but this is the rare exception! Everything they say is funny! Everything they DO is funny! I really can't find any fault in this TV show! Highly recommended!!
Adult Written byMat B. March 16, 2018
Adult Written bysunnygirl67 March 16, 2018

Not even funny anymore

Once again another tv show that we can't watch together as a family. We'll watch a couple and they are fine, then all of a sudden there will be an episode that is SO inappropriate. TV doesn't have kids in mind when creating these shows.... also they push the lesbian thing in a few episodes. I have nothing against gays, but very inappropriate especially since one woman was not actually gay.

Written byAnonymous February 12, 2018

Rating - I think is for kids +11

This is a great show, I believe that the show shows how real families are and does show some mild content but, is still a overall good show for early teens and teens. Some episodes are more milder than others, I allow my child to watch it he/she is 14 years of age and loves it.

Adult Written byChris D. November 2, 2016

Sweet and big on kaughs

OK I have seen every episode of the show so far and I have to say that I have fallen more in love with Katie every episode she is just hilarious and charming I love the kids to ,exspesually annakat,Katie is a very loving mother and let's nothing stand in her way she's just a remarkable woman who has a remarkable family strongly recommend that you watch this show hilarious and heartwarming

Parent of a 10, 13, 14, 17, and 18+ year old Written byArabella B. October 19, 2016

Funny, but repetitive

I laughed a lot, but if Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass was a sitcom, it would be this. A lot of body image humor, I liked the positive message about having a good body image no matter you size. The parents do hook up in their bedroom, but what parents don't, lol. There is some puberty talk, a teen girl and her mother talk abut the teens period and her getting a visit from "the boob fairy", but other then that it's a wholesome family sitcom!

Adult Written bychris d. October 11, 2016

this is one of those that will have to grow on some but i loved it

ok having just watched the premeire of this show tonight i can honestly say that i have fallen in love with abcs 2nd new family this year and the mom being over weight is very special too me seeing as i am an overweight man myself this show has alot of laughs and fun but be warned it also has some growing up humor'talk of the boob fariy visiting a older teen girl and talk of the same girls period' but aside from that this is certanly a show to see