All member reviews for A.N.T. Farm

Cute comedy has good anti-bullying messages for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byaquaprincess May 12, 2011

Poor acting, cliche story

I don't understand why common sense media raves about this show. I watched the pilot, and I considered turning it off halfway through. I don't know if it's just because I'm older, but this show is annoying. I tried to be positive about it, but honestly, I can only hope it gets better because this show is going to flop right away. There isn't much that's inappropriate about it, but it's just plain cheesy. Don't waste your time on this show. EDITED TO ADD: I gave it one star. Common Sense Media doesn't allow no stars. If I could do no stars, I most certainly would. EDITED TO ADD: This show makes me sick. I don't watch it anymore, but I had to add this. I have NEVER hated a show as much as I truly detest ANT Farm. This is the worst show in existence today, and I am absolutely shocked that it actually passes for entertainment. To start with the main character, China- everybody in this show absolutely worships her. It doesn’t matter what she does wrong. She’s the Queen of the ANT Farm and everybody knows it! It would be better to list this than actually rant on and on about what I hate about this show. 1) China goes to high school, and so does Fletcher. Okay, I can understand why Olive should go to high school- her memory is fantastic. But why couldn’t China and Fletcher’s parents put them into a special school for musicians or artists? WHY do they have to go to high school? Talent in the fine arts is not linked to intelligence in other subjects! Is that promoting a good message? What if somebody doesn’t have excessive talent? Won’t they think they’re stupid? 2) Budget cuts. This one really frustrates me. If their school is experiencing budget cuts that are so terrible, why don’t they cut the stupid ANT Farm, or at least stop giving the ANTs ANT Pads? Is there a reason that they need tablets? They don’t do anything on those ANT Pads except to watch TV shows and play with apps! Meanwhile, the high school students get absolutely nothing! Each of these students gets their own personal corner- a personal RECORDING STUDIO must cost a lot of money, no? What’s the use of a personal recording studio if China keeps attempting to get ‘discovered’? And why does Fletcher have an art corner, and Angus the most advanced computer equipment in the world? 3) Class. So, can the ANTs come to the ANT room any time they feel like it? Because I’ve noticed they do NOTHING in the ANT room except for sit around and talk to their friends. Rather than letting their talents flourish, they basically skip class and talk to their friends. Yes, I’m SURE this is a way to let your talents grow! I’ve noticed China doesn’t even take a music class. Fletcher doesn’t even take an art class and Olive… goodness knows what kind of class she should take! 4) Thinness. It’s as if being extremely skinny is the norm on this show. I’m pretty sure this China person is anorexic, because she is SO thin. And then Angus, who’s only chubby from baby fat, is shown to be a ruthless pig, eating giant chicken legs and seeing everyone as meat. How does this make people feel when they’re slightly overweight? 5) Money! China’s dad is a police officer and her mother is a BIRTHDAY PARTY ENTERTAINER, and yet China still lives in a GIANT house and is able to get EVERYTHING she wants. Why do Disney Channel stars have to get EVERYTHING they want?! Why can’t they ever be slightly deprived? Just slightly? Maybe the main character should be struggling a tiny bit! Maybe they should be lonely and unpopular, or be dealing with a loss, rather than be dealing with breakups and their own faults. 6) Setting people up. These people are ELEVEN, for goodness’s sake. WHY are they being set up? For example, Fletcher has a major crush on China, and Angus has a major crush on Olive, but WHY would they go out at such a young age?! What next? Seven year-olds having their first kiss? Wake up, Disney! I truly hate ANT Farm. There is so much I could say about it, but I’ll spare you all. DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW. Do not give this show ratings! Don’t kill your brains and promote bad messages! This is an awful show, totally fluffy, only it doesn’t make you feel good or get away from your troubles- it just makes you angry that this whiny girl has such a perfect life. Chyna’s talents should remain in singing. After all, I do think she’s a talented singer. But when it comes to acting, she needs to LEAVE DISNEY CHANNEL. She will only get Disney records, and everyone will know her as China Parks.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byCindy R September 26, 2011

Pre-Mean Girls

I have a 5 and 7 year old and wouldn't let my kids talk like the kids on the show. Sassy and conceited language. I happened to catch this show only because the TV was still tuned to the Disney Channel from the morning. Though it's supposedly OK for older kids, I wouldn't allow any age to watch this. Seems like these kids are on track to be Mean Girls. I happened to watch most of the episode because I couldn't help myself it was so bad. I saw the episode titled "FraudulANT". Since my kids aren't tweens yet, I just haven't seen any of these shows geared toward this age, and I hope they're not all like this!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGlee rockz May 31, 2011

Blah show blaher do to bad portrayals

Don't let your 11 year old watch this, he/she could take it as an insult. Bad portrayal of adolescents. Oh, and for those people who say it's "Cute", cute is for bunnies. I just want to see something good.
Parent Written byAllison34525 June 5, 2012

First of all, I was watching an episode with my daughter, and Chyna, 11 years old, was on a DATE with a boy. I think that 11 year olds are much to young to be involved with boys and date. I think that is bad parenting, because her dad didn't even care that she had a boyfriend. It may convince the young children that it is okay to date at that age. Disney had a T.V show when they were like 14 and dating, then 13 and dating, then 12 and dating, and now 11 and dating?! I think that is pretty pathetic. I have banned her from watching just that episode, because there are SOME episodes that do have positive role models and positive messages.
Adult Written bymultus June 2, 2013

This show has bad messages. I don't think it's good for kids.

Well, I've only seen a few episodes of this show (probably about 10), and I gotta say that I'm shocked they allow this on TV. From what I've seen, all the characters are unlikable. They bully each other and are very disrespectful - and in a serious, not comedic, way. Sure, there is a lot of this in shows, but in this show people are rewarded (or not punished) for their bad behavior. Just look at all the things the kids say to the principal's face! In a real school, that would get you expelled, not just given a dirty look or brushed off. It's senseless and unnecessary most of the time and does not even contribute to the story. The characters seem cliche, but very unlikable. Most of these Disney shows are quite good, but this is quite terrible.
Parent Written bydrs17 August 11, 2011

careful--double meanings

My kids were repeatedly saying "pat the bunny" after an episode. Checked urban dictionary on meaning. Just suppose the producers are trying to capture the teenage audience and decided to use hidden humor? Certainly there are other children's books that the producer/writer could have used that do not contain a double meaning with sexual connotations. Even if my kids don't understand it, my 11 year old repeating "pat the bunny" in front of his siblings or older kids at school is just not appropriate. Creative but morally at issue in this household.
Parent Written byBeeds July 30, 2011

A Musical Prodigy Doesn't Know How To Hold An Instrument

Dinsey, please, please, PLEASE teach the actress that plays Chyna how to hold a violin! If she's a 'musical prodigy' then she ought to hold the instrument properly. I'm sure there's someone on your staff that took violin at some point in their life, have them do it. If you're having trouble finding someone I'll do it for 50 bucks - just do it!
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byRodgerE1 August 5, 2013

Attempted Murder on Disney

A.N.T. Farm I caught a part of an episode that my daughters were watching. It was about a girl being replaced in a band. They told the new person that the old person quit, but she was fired. The girl that was fired cut the brakes of the tour bus because she was mad. Disney is promoting Lying and Attempted Murder. This isn't funny. This isn't for children. What is going on with Disney?
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2011

Amaya is out peace

I think that A.N.T. Farm is a smart non-violent show for any age
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2011
The show is very strange... and it's kind of annoying, but there was a funny part or two. I don't think I'll start watching the series when it premieres.
Written byAnonymous June 11, 2013

How Paisley Makes Me Slam My Head Against a Wall - The Rant

The concept is pretty interesting. The only thing I have a problem is the characters. Lexi's just a smug, non-benevolent, cold, little... m- mean girl... A poor excuse for a role-model right there. Olive tends to be on the arrogant side, constantly ridiculing Angus, Fletcher, anybody in earshot, etc. Just because your memory is more "enhanced" than others, doesn't mean that you can't have some shred of humility. Paisley... Oh, how I hate this character. How in the world is she here? How is she still alive? No one can POSSIBLY be that ignorant! A person with the lowest I.Q. score that they can possibly scale CANNOT be enrolled into a high school! (London Tipton being an exception. But she's not AS brainless as Paisley. And she has her daddy's money) It makes me furious! Call me snobby, but I just cannot be around bubble-headed people. I hate having to explain every, single word that comes out of my mouth for the reason that they can't comprehend them. But, livid rants aside, this is just another lackluster, cookie-cutter show on Disney. You should probably not watch this, for it may bore you into a stupor. But it depends on the viewer's interest.
Adult Written bycupcakediva July 30, 2012

Don't Like It

I think this is show makes no sense. I mean this girl can sing and play lots of instruments and she gets to skip three grades? That makes no sense. Lots of people can do that you don't see them skipping any grades, do you? This show doesn't have any good plots and Fletcher can never be an artist like that when he's only 11. They stole jokes from other shows which makes it not funny. Olive, you just can't understand her anymore and she's always spitting out facts with words that little kids can't even understand, which makes it boring. Chyna is getting self-centered now, and being mean to other people thinking it's cool how she acts. That is not a positive role model for kids. Also, this school is suffering budget cuts. I know exactly why, because the ANTs get everything. I mean they get ANT pads which aren't even useful, all they do is watch TV shows and play games on it. Also, Angus gets all that advanced computer equipment? Just for HIMSELF? I don't think I've seen any other person use it except Angus. So yeah, that's just money down the drain. And Chyna gets a personal RECORDING STUDIO, for herself. Do you know how much that costs? I can't believe they had money to pay for the rest of the school. It's like the ANTs are equal the the regular high schoolers because they can just like cut class and go to there little ANT place whenever they want to, and the other high schoolers don't. This isn't positive messages saying that ANTs getting special advantages because of their talents, and I bet the other people have lots of talents too!
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

The producers are trying to capture the teenage audience and decided to use hidden humor? Certainly there are other children's books that the producer/writer could have used that do not contain a double meaning with sexual connotations. They learn that their actions have consequences.
Adult Written byTinyToya June 25, 2011

China Thumbs Up, ANT Farm Thumbs Down.

Overall, ANT Farm is Disney's way of pushing China McClain to the top of the Disney ladder. The show itself relies on extremely weak acting especially from Olivia (Sierra McCormick), who is obviously just trying to remember and deliver all of her lines. Also there is a very disturbing performance from the student counselor. The show itself is rather boring (and unrealistic; Chyna is actually pushed out of a chair by an older student, Lexi, and the teacher knows about it and does not discipline the older student at all), but younger children might like it. The only positive note is that China has some notable acting ability and shines while she sings.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 23, 2011

Don't bother...

This show is TERRIBLE! I watched the preview for it and wow! If you were good at music and you were 11 you wouldn't be going to highschool. Kids won't be able to realate to the characters. I remember the good shows like Thats So Raven and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. If this is supposed to replace Zack and Cody Disney is crazy! And I've noticed that all Disney "stars" can kindaish sing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byilikepie367 March 1, 2015
China Anne Mcclain is pretty annoying, and the characters are kinda weird... it's all about these kids who are sp talented they get into high school, but it really makes no sense because the talents they have have nothing to do with high school education... Like I understand how being a really good painter could get you into a good art school or being a great musician could get you into a good music school, but how do these things get you from middle school to high school? The only one who could be in high school is olive, who just says facts all day and who everyone finds annoying. It seems like all these kids do is sit in the same room each day and talk and have fun, which is nothing like high school... and they try and fit in with high schoolers like this one girl lexi who acts like she hates them but ironically is the only one who ever talks to them... it's a bit strange.
Parent Written byMamacatj August 9, 2012

TV show needs to be tossed

This show is very disturbing and the reviewer must have stock in Disney. They could have done so much more showcasing the talents of China and with a storyline of talented kids trying to fit in. Almost all the characters are deplorable and portrayed as morons. Her father a police officer is an idiot (not exagerating he's a big dumdum), her brother is an idiot, the person who is in charge of the advanced kid program is portrayed as a clown w/wig and striped outfit and has an IQ of 2. The over weight kid is joked about or makes fun of himself with food jokes. Worse of all is the line that the bully says at least once a show to her sidekick, "Shut up Paisley". Paisley is the dumbest dumb blonde ever portrayed in children's programmIng. Why do they have these characters? I find that very disturbing in a children's show. There is no educational value, no social value and what they have resorted to to entertain kids is sick. I may not have been specific enough. Watch one show, you'll see. Disney started with a good premise and trashed it.
Parent Written bymichmommy February 9, 2012

Dreadful show

This is a really terrible, strange show. The character China is an absolute nightmare. She always appears angry and diva-ish and I shudder to think any child would watch this show and be influenced by her attitude. The other characters are fairly bland. I'm considering banning the entire Disney channel from TV viewing at our house because the shows have gotten so bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan December 23, 2011

This show contains very mean charecters. You'd think I meant the "mean" older kids, but no. I am talking about Chyna. She is very mean to Angus. Any episode with him, she always is calliing him mean fat jokes like when Olive accidently hits Angus with a stick Chyna says "Hm. I always expected candy to come out of him." Also the princible was wearing a bacon costume and Angus says something and she says "I guess this is how Angus ALWAYS sees me" There are some others that I can't remeber. I would not let my kids wattch this show because of all the mean stereotypes.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymeekoloveshermovies October 16, 2011

Ok.... ish... but

I actually kinda like this show. My brother watches it so I watch it too. But I think the dad has the best humour out of them all. The three kids are good role models but sometimes China can be a little selfish. The humour is ok but like I said the dad can be funny at times.