All member reviews for Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Kids know more than grown-ups in clever game show.

Educator and Parent Written bystephen melinger May 25, 2015

Questions are not Fifth Grade Level

This is an entertaining trivia show. The questions do not reflect what is taught in fifth grade. The point of the show is to make adults look silly and ignorant compared to the kids. This is not a new idea as situation comedies have always exploited this concept. Again it is a fun show.
Adult Written byLowe's man January 8, 2014

Both generations can learn from this show.

It's amazing how much we've forgotten since we were in elementary school. This show tells us what we've forgotten (or never learned to begin with) when we were kids. People of all ages can watch and learn from this program. And kids will feel empowered that they know some things that adults don't know. What a way to build confidence!
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 16, 2013

Teach your kids on every subject

Hilarious. Up to you. That episode was not bad at all. Your kids can guess the answers and so can you. The host is nice and the kids are very smart
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus July 2, 2012

Good, but could be better.

Teen, 15 years old Written byericrootbeer March 26, 2012

The Grade Levels are Misleading

I just saw this show today, and there were several questions, that I had huge issues with. First of all, chemistry is not a 3rd grade subject. The question asked something like "What element is the chemical symbol Na on the periodic table." I was like, WTF??? How could they expect 3rd graders to know that? I didn't know that until I was in middle school, and that's because I watched Jimmy Neutron talk about "sodium chloride" which I later found was table salt. So many of the questions are like this, where they are not grade appropriate at all. Sorry.
Adult Written byJQT February 15, 2011

While it does serve to be an intermittently humorous piece of entertainment, it carries far more negative messages than good ones. For starters, the general theme of the show portrays 'average Americans' as well, not as smart as a 5th grader, and as an American citizen and student myself, this is not a label that I care to display. Building on that, the concept that the adult is inferior to the child is also a very negative in that it sends a message to children watching the show that they are superior to their elders, and thus should show them less respect. That by itself is understandably unacceptable. The only saving grace that this show does have, is that it is mildly educational. Of course keep in mind that it only contains information up to a 5th grade level so in a sense, it is not really educational at all.
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011

Perfect for kids

Hi my name is Michael and this is the best show for my kid its educational and has good role models.
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2010

For everyone

Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2010

Fine for kids of all ages.

This show is fine for kids of all ages, but does get boring after a while. I don't watch it anymore.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

Kid, 9 years old June 1, 2010

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymollsta1234 May 8, 2010

a family must see!

educational and enteraining! so good for the whole family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywizkid705 May 3, 2010

This show is so awesome! It's fun to try to answer the questions, and funny when the adults can't get them. They have real 5th graders there, which is also cool.
Adult Written bylumpsone March 11, 2010

DISCLAIMER: It is wrong to Cheat.

the fact that a contestant can CHEAT as a means to further their goal, sets a bad example for kids. It is an indirect way of endorsing cheating. Children know that cheating is wrong, and for a show to imply that it is acceptable in any situation may lead some of them to carry out the act. Parents will need to make a clear distinction for their children about the entertainment value of cheating, and its inefficacy in everyday life. Otherwise, the show is educational and gives children a positive attitude towards knowledge.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2010

Perfect for people 2 and over

I love this show it's educational and there's NO naughty stuff so they should rate it G.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 3, 2010

very enjoyable game show

this game show is very enjoyable and teaches kids watching: reading, science, social studies ETC. for grades 1-5.
Kid, 12 years old December 1, 2009

educational game show

a fun show kids 8+ will love to watch. Also the show is educational.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCharizard632 October 18, 2009

Educational and funny

The fifth graders look cute.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookWorm94 April 9, 2008