All parent member reviews for Avatar: The Last Airbender

Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 8 year old Written bygranata September 16, 2012

Best. Show. Ever.

This might be one of the best kids' shows I have ever seen and one of the best shows I have seen as well! Yeah, it's a kids' show, but it's got some pretty hefty themes, excellent story telling and they actually wrap everything up in the end (couldn't say that for Lost). Hate anime? Me too! But the creators of the show take a tongue-and-cheek approach to the genre that makes it pretty funny at times. The only thing that might bother some is the eastern mysticism featured it it. But the positive messages and role models in this show far outweigh any negative you could find.
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 14, 2012

Perfect for all ages!

This show was GREAT! It was really hilarious and plain EPIC! It even has edecational value! I recommend this show.
Adult Written byYuri5 June 17, 2010
Educator and Parent Written byCassie S. August 27, 2016

Great messages and a little silliness

We have watched the whole series several times now! This show has excellent characters who give great messages about being true to yourself, honest, loyal etc. the show has some silliness but my husband and I would find ourselves laughing at the show with our kids. It is not overly violent and does pander to a younger audience (not so for Avatar: Legen of Korra, still an excellent series but geared for tweens and teens)
Adult Written bySherina651 July 26, 2016

The best.

The Avatar the Last Airbender is not only a good show, it teches children of friendship, right and wrong, perseverance...to never give up no matter what life throws your way.....etc...
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bymiaha June 9, 2016

Whoever reviewed this officially did a poor job.

This show is about family, nationhood, loving others, treating people nicely, and learning to take responsibility for the gifts we're born with. The story arc over four seasons is artfully crafted and one of the best on television, animated or non-animated. This show has major characters in all age groups, positive gender models, good and bad people, and people who change dramatically. It showcases four Asian cultures, has a vegetarian Buddhist hero who only uses violence as a last resort. I watched it with my 5 year old and 10 year old, with my husband, and a number of family friends and everybody becomes addicted to it. There are endless topics to discuss. To give it four stars, and only one for educational purposes shows a pretty limited understanding from the reviewer, or perhaps, a reviewer who watched a few episodes only. I literally got my account on this website today to stick up for this show that only gets four stars when you look it up, as opposed to 5 stars from all the parents and viewers like me. Demanding the last star migh sound like quibbling, but really, the official review I'd call offensive.
Adult Written bySnakeSnakeSnake October 16, 2015

Best tv show of the 2000s PERIOD

This show is easily the greatest work of fiction the 2000s ever produced. There were some par episodes but none were ever genuinely bad. Almost every episode in fact was a solid Eagle in the hole. While you watch this diamond of a show you can also look up the great Asian culture it borrows from. Learn about the martial arts used to coreograph the bending fights, learn the undertones of war and secrecy in the Kingdom of Ba Sing Se (a parrallel of Imperial China) and the myths and religions that inspired the Avatar spirit world.
Adult Written byporkchoppal July 24, 2015

The Best Asian-Inspired Western Animation

Violence: 7/10 Sex: 1/10 Profanity: 2/10 Hedonism: 0/10 Maturity: 6/10
Parent Written byjdhcu846238 April 11, 2015
this tv show is for kids its really funny.And there is no swearing
Adult Written byMaryn_4 March 4, 2015

2 year olds

Ever since watching the show my two year old has shown great leaps of intelligence. For example in avatar Aang is always avoiding a fight.Today in preschool another baby stole his toy. Instead of hitting or yelling he told the other baby that he could use it and then give it back. Great influence for babies.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAma Mia January 8, 2015

Best kids show ever!!

I watched one show to check it out and got hooked! Great plot and character development! Great life themes led to great conversations with my kids...about life, destiny, forgiveness, family, friendship, sociopaths and how to recognize them, and more!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJulie St-F September 28, 2013

Amazing, but intense

One of our favourites. There is fighting, and some pretty serious themes. A big part of the plot is that the Fire Nation essentially committed genocide, wiping out the Air Nation. On a more personal level, many of the characters have had major tragedies in their lives. Prince Zukko has been disowned by his father because he's seen as "weak", Kitara and Sokka have lost their mother and rarely see their father. My 8 year old is able to talk about these themes, and not overwhelmed by it all. That being said, I know a fair number of kids her age who would not be able to handle it.
Educator and Parent Written byLaUnica July 31, 2013

Good time

Great show that my 8 year old & I both enjoyed watching.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byBonkersfan1995 March 22, 2013

The Best and Most Popular Action-Adventure Cartoon Show Ever!

Everyone knows and loves Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's an awesome show that contains violence and scary moments. I watch that cartoon all the time just like them. XD
Educator Written bymcmanuss March 6, 2013

Anime with Something for Everyone

We love this show. The characters are mulch-dimensional and there are both female and male heroes, which is a nice change. The violence isn't harsh, but it is active and breaks up a very talky show. I appreciate that even the main villain, the prince, is an honorable foe and that the show contrasts him with backstabbing, dishonorable bad guys. Not for every kid, but for our girl who grew up on Pikachu, this show hits the spot.
Adult Written byTheTruthForYouIdoits February 26, 2013

Avatar is Awesome

I learned more about life from this show than could ever have been expected. When I was a kid growing up watching this I would be on the edge of my seat every episode and the endings didn't disapoint.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 5, 2012

Better than Kickin' It

Kids can learn martial arts with Aang, but because its an action cartoon, it DOES get violent.
Adult Written byThe Tennant July 29, 2012

A True Tv Show

Hands down, best animated show i have ever watched in my life. The show brings great entertainment to those that can understand the plot, hens the 8 + age recommendation, and offers a great role model in "uncle iroh" who throughout the show gives live long lessons. Without a doubt i will buy the dvds to this show and show them to my children seeing that the television shows have gone down in imagination and much less entertainment. You have to at least watch a few episodes
Adult Written byCollegeGradGuy May 28, 2012

In a League of its own; a classic series

Great show for young kids and adults, if they're open to animation as a respectable form of presentation. Plot and characters are top-notch, and the show has a great wit and humor to accompany the amazingly well-animated action set pieces. It can have greater educational value if you look into the Asian mythologies it references, it has the usual positive messages for an action kids show, but an unusual amount of positive role models for girls. It does involve solving conflicts with violence, but not an unnecessary amount.
Adult Written byhwarming May 9, 2012

Great show

One of the best animated shows I have ever seen. Avatar: The Last Airbender features a world where some people have powers to bend the elements, such as fire, water, earth, and air. The story focuses around Aang, a 12 year old Airbender who is the Avatar, a person who can master all 4 of the elements and has the duty of keeping balance in the world, and his friends, Katara, a young waterbender, Sokka, a Water tribe warrior, older brother of Katara. and Appa, Aang's flying bison. They are stalked around the world by Zuko, an exiled prince of the Fire nation, as he tries to reclaim his honour, and his uncle, Iroh, a kind, gentlehearted old man. For a Nick show, the language is pretty strong, and death and killing is talked about. There is very mild sexual content, a few innuendos that most kids would not understand, and the occasional kiss. This is a must see. I'm 18 and I still love this show.