All parent member reviews for Avatar: The Last Airbender

Adult Written byYuri5 June 17, 2010
Educator and Parent Written byCassie S. August 27, 2016

Great messages and a little silliness

We have watched the whole series several times now! This show has excellent characters who give great messages about being true to yourself, honest, loyal etc. the show has some silliness but my husband and I would find ourselves laughing at the show with our kids. It is not overly violent and does pander to a younger audience (not so for Avatar: Legen of Korra, still an excellent series but geared for tweens and teens)
Parent of a 2 year old Written byCassie M. August 17, 2016

Don't understand all these 5 star ratings

I really do not understand why so many parents rate this show so highly. Sure, it is visually appealing, fun, and entertaining, but the moral lessons and episode plotlines are rather disturbing and not at all something that a young child should be watching. I would venture to say that this show should only be watched by teens, if at all. There are quite a number of episodes that teach children that lying and stealing are completely fine, especially if you "need" something or if the person you're stealing from isn't a nice person. Breaking the rules is regularly rewarded and celebrated, and in one episode the character Katara says (quote): "Well, I guess it's okay if everyone else is doing it." It baffles me that the majority of parents are okay with their children learning this. Children absorb and immediately parrot 100% of what they watch, especially at a young age; why on earth would you think this kind of teaching is fine? There is also quite a lot of violence shown. Generally very little blood, but violence nonetheless; including a lovely scene of a father permanently scarring his own son's face via fire.
Adult Written bySebastian C. August 5, 2016

ibausaehycpdbrsgtuhbx

I love u
Adult Written bySherina651 July 26, 2016

The best.

The Avatar the Last Airbender is not only a good show, it teches children of friendship, right and wrong, perseverance...to never give up no matter what life throws your way.....etc...
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bymiaha June 9, 2016

Whoever reviewed this officially did a poor job.

This show is about family, nationhood, loving others, treating people nicely, and learning to take responsibility for the gifts we're born with. The story arc over four seasons is artfully crafted and one of the best on television, animated or non-animated. This show has major characters in all age groups, positive gender models, good and bad people, and people who change dramatically. It showcases four Asian cultures, has a vegetarian Buddhist hero who only uses violence as a last resort. I watched it with my 5 year old and 10 year old, with my husband, and a number of family friends and everybody becomes addicted to it. There are endless topics to discuss. To give it four stars, and only one for educational purposes shows a pretty limited understanding from the reviewer, or perhaps, a reviewer who watched a few episodes only. I literally got my account on this website today to stick up for this show that only gets four stars when you look it up, as opposed to 5 stars from all the parents and viewers like me. Demanding the last star migh sound like quibbling, but really, the official review I'd call offensive.
Adult Written bySnakeSnakeSnake October 16, 2015

Best tv show of the 2000s PERIOD

This show is easily the greatest work of fiction the 2000s ever produced. There were some par episodes but none were ever genuinely bad. Almost every episode in fact was a solid Eagle in the hole. While you watch this diamond of a show you can also look up the great Asian culture it borrows from. Learn about the martial arts used to coreograph the bending fights, learn the undertones of war and secrecy in the Kingdom of Ba Sing Se (a parrallel of Imperial China) and the myths and religions that inspired the Avatar spirit world.
Adult Written bySpongepat63 August 12, 2015

Overrated

Not only did I fall asleep watching this show, but I also expected so much of a show that has a higher IMDB rating than The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and Friends. Uhh.... What. Sorry to rain on everyone's parade. As for mature content, there isn't much.
Adult Written byporkchoppal July 24, 2015

The Best Asian-Inspired Western Animation

Violence: 7/10 Sex: 1/10 Profanity: 2/10 Hedonism: 0/10 Maturity: 6/10
Parent Written byjdhcu846238 April 11, 2015
this tv show is for kids its really funny.And there is no swearing
Adult Written byMaryn_4 March 4, 2015

2 year olds

Ever since watching the show my two year old has shown great leaps of intelligence. For example in avatar Aang is always avoiding a fight.Today in preschool another baby stole his toy. Instead of hitting or yelling he told the other baby that he could use it and then give it back. Great influence for babies.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAma Mia January 8, 2015

Best kids show ever!!

I watched one show to check it out and got hooked! Great plot and character development! Great life themes led to great conversations with my kids...about life, destiny, forgiveness, family, friendship, sociopaths and how to recognize them, and more!
Parent Written byashley657 October 13, 2013

For kids?!

No! This is an absolute disgrace. I found my 3 year old child sitting at the TV watching it. There were sexual references and jokes between characters! I have banned my child from watching it! One of the characters got high on cactus and it is not a positive message to anyone. Why is this even on Nickelodeon?!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJulie St-F September 28, 2013

Amazing, but intense

One of our favourites. There is fighting, and some pretty serious themes. A big part of the plot is that the Fire Nation essentially committed genocide, wiping out the Air Nation. On a more personal level, many of the characters have had major tragedies in their lives. Prince Zukko has been disowned by his father because he's seen as "weak", Kitara and Sokka have lost their mother and rarely see their father. My 8 year old is able to talk about these themes, and not overwhelmed by it all. That being said, I know a fair number of kids her age who would not be able to handle it.
Educator and Parent Written byLaUnica July 31, 2013

Good time

Great show that my 8 year old & I both enjoyed watching.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byBonkersfan1995 March 22, 2013

The Best and Most Popular Action-Adventure Cartoon Show Ever!

Everyone knows and loves Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's an awesome show that contains violence and scary moments. I watch that cartoon all the time just like them. XD
Educator Written bymcmanuss March 6, 2013

Anime with Something for Everyone

We love this show. The characters are mulch-dimensional and there are both female and male heroes, which is a nice change. The violence isn't harsh, but it is active and breaks up a very talky show. I appreciate that even the main villain, the prince, is an honorable foe and that the show contrasts him with backstabbing, dishonorable bad guys. Not for every kid, but for our girl who grew up on Pikachu, this show hits the spot.
Adult Written byTheTruthForYouIdoits February 26, 2013

Avatar is Awesome

I learned more about life from this show than could ever have been expected. When I was a kid growing up watching this I would be on the edge of my seat every episode and the endings didn't disapoint.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 5, 2012

Better than Kickin' It

Kids can learn martial arts with Aang, but because its an action cartoon, it DOES get violent.
Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 8 year old Written bygranata September 16, 2012

Best. Show. Ever.

This might be one of the best kids' shows I have ever seen and one of the best shows I have seen as well! Yeah, it's a kids' show, but it's got some pretty hefty themes, excellent story telling and they actually wrap everything up in the end (couldn't say that for Lost). Hate anime? Me too! But the creators of the show take a tongue-and-cheek approach to the genre that makes it pretty funny at times. The only thing that might bother some is the eastern mysticism featured it it. But the positive messages and role models in this show far outweigh any negative you could find.